TRAFFIC CHAOS.

DUNKS

Yesterday local traffic at a complete standstill for over an hour. Took police quite a while to sort it!

Caused by a combination of three things. A disabled guy parking on double yellows at the top of a side street leading on to a main road. train commuters parked bumper to bumper in the side street rather than pay in the nearby station and fools shutting the door at the traffic island the vehicles had backed up to. I wondered why the cars had backed up past my house in the side street. Local council have talked about making the street residents parking only but that's as far as it gets. Just talk. The train station car park is often only half full but commuters will just not pay, and park in my street. Which of course is quite legal.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26/11/2022 at 09:58, London Best said:

Coming North up the M40 yesterday afternoon. Crawling traffic for about 2 miles. 
The cause? 
The cops had nicked some idiot on a push bike and were holding him on the hard shoulder. Presumably waiting for a recovery vehicle?

The council round here found quite a clever solution to the commuter parking problem

I don't often praise them for much but this is a good idea

They have made each road a no parking zone but only between 10-11am or other roads between 12-1pm.

This completely stuffs the commuters from parking all day but doesn't greatly inconvenience the carers, window cleaners, gardeners, general visitors etc who can still come and go except at that one hour a day. Which they can easily work around and go about their daily business.

Edited by Vince Green

21 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

The council round here found quite a clever solution to the commuter parking problem

I don't often praise them for much but this is a good idea

They have made each road a no parking zone but only between 10-11am or other roads between 12-1pm.

This completely stuffs the commuters from parking all day but doesn't greatly inconvenience the carers, window cleaners, gardeners, general visitors etc who can still come and go except at that one hour a day. Which they can easily work around and go about their daily business.

Now that is a good idea 👍

12 hours ago, Westley said:

A bit like the keep fit fanatics fighting to park as close to the gym entrance as possible   🤣

Similarly, the village hall and surgery are at the entrance end of the car park (about 100m long).  We get a lot of walking groups leaving their cars all day, which in itself is no problem, however they all insist on parking as close to the entrance as possible.

On 26/11/2022 at 09:47, DUNKS said:

Yesterday local traffic at a complete standstill for over an hour. Took police quite a while to sort it!

Caused by a combination of three things. A disabled guy parking on double yellows at the top of a side street leading on to a main road. train commuters parked bumper to bumper in the side street rather than pay in the nearby station and fools shutting the door at the traffic island the vehicles had backed up to. I wondered why the cars had backed up past my house in the side street. Local council have talked about making the street residents parking only but that's as far as it gets. Just talk. The train station car park is often only half full but commuters will just not pay, and park in my street. Which of course is quite legal.

Free parking or a tenner a day, you choose?

In many places now, traffic, on a daily basis has the roads running at near saturation capacity.  One accident/delay/roadworks/road closure causes instant and catastrophic "grid lock".

Before I retired, my office was on an industrial estate, the same estate where I had my first job - 43 years before.  It must now have perhaps 10 or more times the number of people working there ............. but a hardly changed road and traffic system.

One delay from accident/roadworks/road closure around 16:00 to 18:00 locked the road system solid - really solid.  No one, even on blue lights, could get through.  It was impossible to leave our car park for over an hour.  This happened at least a few times a year - and because it was only a mile or so from the motorway junction, traffic ended up queuing along the hard shoulder to leave the motorway.

It is getting worse since I retired as a LOT more houses have been built about a mile away, and a very large 'prestigious' retail park is opening bedside the motorway with one of the largest garden centres in the south west (which has already opened).  I understand queues backing up onto the motorway are now a daily occurrence - and many people have resorted to going up to the next junction north which only about 3 or 4 miles as there have been several shunts into the queuing traffic.  They then come back south by the small B roads, blocking those up as well.

The stupid part is that the council/highways have been warned for 10 years or more by letters of objection to further planning on the basis of ongoing traffic issues - including by many of the larger employing businesses.  The council now charge a 'levy' on granting planning' for traffic improvements (we had to pay for a small planning change we made) - but none of it has been spent on the road transport system (though they have added traffic lights that give no advantage at peak times, but cause extra delays outside peak times).

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

In many places now, traffic, on a daily basis has the roads running at near saturation capacity.  One accident/delay/roadworks/road closure causes instant and catastrophic "grid lock".

Before I retired, my office was on an industrial estate, the same estate where I had my first job - 43 years before.  It must now have perhaps 10 or more times the number of people working there ............. but a hardly changed road and traffic system.

One delay from accident/roadworks/road closure around 16:00 to 18:00 locked the road system solid - really solid.  No one, even on blue lights, could get through.  It was impossible to leave our car park for over an hour.  This happened at least a few times a year - and because it was only a mile or so from the motorway junction, traffic ended up queuing along the hard shoulder to leave the motorway.

It is getting worse since I retired as a LOT more houses have been built about a mile away, and a very large 'prestigious' retail park is opening bedside the motorway with one of the largest garden centres in the south west (which has already opened).  I understand queues backing up onto the motorway are now a daily occurrence - and many people have resorted to going up to the next junction north which only about 3 or 4 miles as there have been several shunts into the queuing traffic.  They then come back south by the small B roads, blocking those up as well.

The stupid part is that the council/highways have been warned for 10 years or more by letters of objection to further planning on the basis of ongoing traffic issues - including by many of the larger employing businesses.  The council now charge a 'levy' on granting planning' for traffic improvements (we had to pay for a small planning change we made) - but none of it has been spent on the road transport system (though they have added traffic lights that give no advantage at peak times, but cause extra delays outside peak times).

We clearly need to move more rapidly to a non car based transport system. If the Govt invested heavily in bus and rail and took the money from fuel duty this would be a good start. Not so easy for rural communities, certainly, but increasing tax on those that increase the burden on the tax payer for their rural life style makes sense to a degree. We would need to have some sort of rebate for some. 

How many of us jump in a car and go because that's convenient and what we have always done. 

1 minute ago, oowee said:

We clearly need to move more rapidly to a non car based transport system.

We have no public transport that is 'usable' without a car at all (and I am in a small village with around 200 people). 

Nearest bus route (which has a twice daily service only I think) is about 1 1/2 miles walk on narrow roads with no footpath, but copious puddles and potholes.  If you aren't hit by traffic, you will arrive drenched on a wet day!  You would be taking your life in your hands to walk it in the dark.

Nearest train 'station' is about 5 miles, but only has limited facilities and only a few trains stopping.  Nearest 'full service' train station (about 8 miles away) has (I believe as it is a new 'out of town' station) a reasonable train service, but no practical way to get there except by car (or train!).  It does have plenty of (expensive) parking.

It is only quite recently (few years) the last 'non car' transport was discontinued in most local villages, and the next village only lost theirs last year.  Reason - no one used it and it lost money.  - Underlying reason - it took around 90 minutes in the bus to do a 20 minute (by car) journey, and was very unreliable in that cancellations were frequent and had no notice.  With only 3 services a day, it took up virtually a whole day to do a visit that could be done in an hour in a car.

I can see no way that 'non car' transport can provide and acceptably convenient (i.e. not taking many times as long as car transport) service in rural locations.  Time is important to people, and time spent travelling is largely seen as 'lost time'.

4 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

We have no public transport that is 'usable' without a car at all (and I am in a small village with around 200 people). 

Nearest bus route (which has a twice daily service only I think) is about 1 1/2 miles walk on narrow roads with no footpath, but copious puddles and potholes.  If you aren't hit by traffic, you will arrive drenched on a wet day!  You would be taking your life in your hands to walk it in the dark.

Nearest train 'station' is about 5 miles, but only has limited facilities and only a few trains stopping.  Nearest 'full service' train station (about 8 miles away) has (I believe as it is a new 'out of town' station) a reasonable train service, but no practical way to get there except by car (or train!).  It does have plenty of (expensive) parking.

It is only quite recently (few years) the last 'non car' transport was discontinued in most local villages, and the next village only lost theirs last year.  Reason - no one used it and it lost money.  - Underlying reason - it took around 90 minutes in the bus to do a 20 minute (by car) journey, and was very unreliable in that cancellations were frequent and had no notice.  With only 3 services a day, it took up virtually a whole day to do a visit that could be done in an hour in a car.

I can see no way that 'non car' transport can provide and acceptably convenient (i.e. not taking many times as long as car transport) service in rural locations.  Time is important to people, and time spent travelling is largely seen as 'lost time'.

I am in a similar location. As the bus is 2 miles away and so infrequent very few can use it. As very few use it the service is even further reduced.

We could increase rural taxes (council tax would be a start) to positively shift people to prefer urban living, making rural living less attractive. Taxing fuel more heavily and subsidising mass transport facilities. It certainly wont help everyone but the more that use it the better it will be. The congestion charges in Cities are also a good way to promote mass transport. I would expect in time to see the huge city centre car parks turned over for residential use (this profit could also be taxed). Bus priority, a rethink on electric bikes (raising the speed and facilities available, secure parking and more bike lanes). All be part of the mix of a national rethink on transport. 

How on Earth can a non-car based transport system ever be any use to someone who regularly gets up at really silly o’clock to travel to a wood 130 miles away in the middle of nowhere to arrive before daylight? And wouldn’t you be popular trying to board a bus/tram/train trying to carry a couple of Fallow does and a Muntjac?

You townies can keep your public transport.

12 minutes ago, London Best said:

How on Earth can a non-car based transport system ever be any use to someone who regularly gets up at really silly o’clock to travel to a wood 130 miles away in the middle of nowhere to arrive before daylight? And wouldn’t you be popular trying to board a bus/tram/train trying to carry a couple of Fallow does and a Muntjac?

Just imagine boarding a train with a slipped shotgun (or even cased) and 250 cartridges for a trip to your local clay ground? Mass panic, armed police and a ruined day providing that you are even permitted to board carrying a firearm that is.

Public transport is great for those who have nothing in their lives apart from a job in the city and a home in the inner suburbs.

Should you have any kind of hobby that requires some form of kit then it's useless. Can't imagine you'd be welcomed onto a train down west with your paddleboard and a weekends worth of camping gear.

51 minutes ago, oowee said:

We clearly need to move more rapidly to a non car based transport system. If the Govt invested heavily in bus and rail and took the money from fuel duty this would be a good start. Not so easy for rural communities, certainly, but increasing tax on those that increase the burden on the tax payer for their rural life style makes sense to a degree. We would need to have some sort of rebate for some. 

Two points which will need to be addressed first

1  A high rebate for those who do not commute.  Many moved out of town following retirement to free up urban housing as well as a quieter lifestyle.

2  The "union/strike" issue must be overturned because as it is the transport unions (leaders "elected" by a small minority)  would in effect rule the country by blackmail. 

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Oh, you won't be allowed to do that. You'll have allocated time slots and amount of travel you can do in any given year.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

2 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

Just imagine boarding a train with a slipped shotgun (or even cased) and 250 cartridges for a trip to your local clay ground? Mass panic, armed police and a ruined day providing that you are even permitted to board carrying a firearm that is.

Public transport is great for those who have nothing in their lives apart from a job in the city and a home in the inner suburbs.

Should you have any kind of hobby that requires some form of kit then it's useless. Can't imagine you'd be welcomed onto a train down west with your paddleboard and a weekends worth of camping gear.

? Why would it? For that you could use your car. 

The whole point being to shift the transport model. Make those using the car pay the full cost and use it largely for those activities that cannot be covered by public transport. 

2 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Two points which will need to be addressed first

1  A high rebate for those who do not commute.  Many moved out of town following retirement to free up urban housing as well as a quieter lifestyle.

2  The "union/strike" issue must be overturned because as it is the transport unions (leaders "elected" by a small minority)  would in effect rule the country by blackmail. 

1. They would get a rebate by not commuting reducing the fuel they had to purchase. Some could still do the country retirement but the cost would better reflect the true cost of the cost of services. 

2. Not sure where that comes from 🙂