Swivel seat

mgsontour

I bought one on a whim a couple of years ago and I've not used another seat since  .

The tripod legs don't sink as they splay out on a shallow angle (we'll mine do ) and the seat is comfortable  and padded plenty comfy enough  for a whole morning .I don't miss the back rest of my other chairs  and best of all the top comes off the leg post so it collapses very easily and folds up and drops into my decoy bag .

3 legs means there is no wobble .

Mine is light, extendable  , collapsible, comfortable  , strong ,swivels, compact .and cheap .

17 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I bought one on a whim a couple of years ago and I've not used another seat since  .

The tripod legs don't sink as they splay out on a shallow angle (we'll mine do ) and the seat is comfortable  and padded plenty comfy enough  for a whole morning .I don't miss the back rest of my other chairs  and best of all the top comes off the leg post so it collapses very easily and folds up and drops into my decoy bag .

3 legs means there is no wobble .

Mine is light, extendable  , collapsible, comfortable  , strong ,swivels, compact .and cheap .

Aaaaaah the swallow angle leg, OK I shall keep an eye for one of those while I'm scouting about. Cheers

15 hours ago, Centrepin said:

bloody horrible things.......had mine for a week and sold it....ended up with a green folding picnic chair with side pockets to put the spent cart's and crisp packets in..bought it for £15 quid 

46 minutes ago, ditchman said:

bloody horrible things.......had mine for a week and sold it....ended up with a green folding picnic chair with side pockets to put the spent cart's and crisp packets in..bought it for £15 quid 

i had enough of mine and shot it to pieces[ revenge for my back]😃

As mentioned - swivel office chairs are great. You can adjust the seat height also. Marvelous for comfort - especially if you’re tall (as I am also). I picked up a tatty old one for peanuts. It’s grey and a mixture of green/brown where I’ve spray painted it - so blends in well.

P.S Turning to adjust for the shot position becomes a great advantage - relative to a non swivel type. 

On 29/11/2022 at 18:14, Centrepin said:

I have had one for years and used it for driven pheasant shooting until I discovered the folding tripod seats used on the Continent,  Excellent and allow full movement with adjustable legs and I am plus six foot tall and need a high seat to get back on my feet as well.  Where about £60.  I made some 4 inch round additions to the feet using some stockboard offcuts which solved the problem of sinking on really soft ground  e.g. recently drilled ground, plough etc.

7 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I bought one of these from Paul and must say I’m well pleased with it. Far more comfortable than a Bergara I had and sold after a few months.

OB

Morning Chris .... My version might had been slightly different from the one you bought of Paul , the plus points was it had a back rest and the swivel seat worked well for someone who need to have a back rest and do all my decoying while sitting down , the downside was the weight of the seat and I found it very uncomfortable after a couple of hours as the the swivel seat was on a hard piece of wood and being a biggish bloke it was making me ole bum sore , I got over that by taking a small cushion with me and I could stick around 3 / 4 hours and then I have had enough , unless I could drive to my spot I left the seat at home and as time wore on I left it in my garage more times than I used it , I ended up sticking it in the sporting auction and made due with a lightweight directors chair , so I would say the biggest problem was the weight . 

1 minute ago, Fellside said:

Yes agreed - weight is a factor. I only use my super duper office chair when able to drive in (which is most of the time). If I have to carry my kit, I use one of those fold away camping chairs. Very comfortable, but not nearly as good as being able to swivel about for the best shot angle. 

Suely the best shot angles and swing will come from standing up to shoot? I have a great swiveling tripod seat but very rarely shoot seated. Key for me is making sure its tall enough to get up quickly.

2 hours ago, Fellside said:

Yes agreed - weight is a factor. I only use my super duper office chair when able to drive in (which is most of the time). If I have to carry my kit, I use one of those fold away camping chairs. Very comfortable, but not nearly as good as being able to swivel about for the best shot angle. 

One of the best seats I have used was a office chair , again the weight would be a problem but when I had a big Pea field to look after I knew by past experience when we had Peas on the field in the past where the best place would be to make a semi permanent hide and I left the chair in the hide until the Peas were lifted , and then drove across the stubble to clear it away , worked a treat.

2 hours ago, oowee said:

Suely the best shot angles and swing will come from standing up to shoot? I have a great swiveling tripod seat but very rarely shoot seated. Key for me is making sure its tall enough to get up quickly.

Your are correct , it would be better to stand up each time to take your shot as you are a bit restricted in taking all angles sitting down , but I have been sitting down decoying for many years and don't find it a problem , now I am well past the sell by date I am happy just to take part in the days proceedings , and if I manage to shoot a few then all the better :lol:

3 hours ago, oowee said:

I mean preparation for standing at the best angle. My hit rate improved significantly when I started using a swivelling chair. I was able to start the swing from my seat… if you know what I mean. By the time you stand and mount the gun - you’re feet and body posture are just right. At least that’s how I find it anyway. Hope that makes sense. 

On 30/11/2022 at 21:25, Walker570 said:

I have had one for years and used it for driven pheasant shooting until I discovered the folding tripod seats used on the Continent,  Excellent and allow full movement with adjustable legs and I am plus six foot tall and need a high seat to get back on my feet as well.  Where about £60.  I made some 4 inch round additions to the feet using some stockboard offcuts which solved the problem of sinking on really soft ground  e.g. recently drilled ground, plough etc.

I had a set of these in stock from a caravan and just slip them on if the ground is very soft.

1716755094_Screenshot_20221202-135514_SamsungInternet.jpg.04056920fe63d6314b7324e79df485e0.jpg

More recently I purchased some used 4 legged stools and plastic office type chairs in a sale. Perfect for leaving on my perm, and 4 off cuts of wood stop them sinking. If they get pinched as things often do it's no great loss and I only have to carry them once.

Yes all of my cabins, IBCs have seats in permanent old office chairs, old garden plastic jobs. Have not had one vanish yet. The three leg folder is a lot easier to carry than the big plastic job but as said it does restrict your swing a bit  BUT  always try and take 'em infront.  I killed eight birds clean as a whistle recently sitting on my tripod and an American lady ....I asked her where she came from....was that racist??? I wonder...... she said do you always shoot sitting down and my reply was "No, but the old sciatica nerve was having a word":mad: angry like....sciatica that is.

On 28/11/2022 at 19:20, mgsontour said:

After a decent swivel seat for decoying ( I'm pretty tall at 6' 1" ), any recommendations and where to buy welcome lads. Thanks in advance

There are three Bergara seats in the Southams 8th. December auction, lots 1227/8 & 9. Estimates £30-£40 with bids so far at £30, £32 & 40 on each one. 

OB

Not wishing to confuse matters, A1Decoys have a swivel seat (triangular) for £29.99. I also have one of these and find it strangely comfortable for a triangular seat. It swivels well, adjusts from 500mm to 560mm which I find good, but alas no backrest. However, it only weighs 3 lbs.

I use this one when I have to walk a distance to a hide with other gear, but use the Paul Hart one when I can either drive to the hide or a short walk when roost shooting with just gun and cartridges.

Hope this helps,

Chris