Why Couldn't She Just Answer the Question?

TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What an absolute fuss over nothing;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63810468

***!!!!

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What an absolute fuss over nothing;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63810468

Not at all racist then?

'supports women of African and Caribbean heritage across the UK who have faced domestic and sexual abuse'.

Only she knows what she meant. It could be that she asked about the woman's background because the charity is for people of African and Caribbean heritage. That said, she should not have pushed the matter and has been an idiot.

Why the charity is for a particular section of domestic abuse victims is another question.

4 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Only she knows what she meant. It could be that she asked about the woman's background because the charity is for people of African and Caribbean heritage. That said, she should not have pushed the matter and has been an idiot.

Why the charity is for a particular section of domestic abuse victims is another question.

Can you imagine the uproar if it was for Caucasian women only?

funny how black people are always going on about their “roots” and proud of them, yet when someone asks her about her roots she plays the race card.

Don’t know anything about this charity that supports women from African and Caribbean heritage, but does it exclude women from other races?

I was at a speed awareness course ( quite ironic as my Landrover was in ‘limp mode’ at the time! 😀) a few weeks ago, and was talking to a black bloke who had been pinged by the same camera as me, and asked him where he was from. He replied ‘ Windermere, but Nairobi originally’ and I felt awful cos that wasn’t what I meant at all. 🤷‍♂️ 🙂

Edited by Scully
Grammar

11 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I must have missed something. I didn't think she had played the race card.

Perhaps not directly from her mouth but the race card was played.

"Mandu Reid, told BBC News that Lady Hussey's questions had been "offensive, racist and unwelcoming".

Arguments about race are never going to stop until its just not seen as a thing anymore. The same could be said for other minority groups to. I don't think it's helpful the way our society constantly draws attention to it all the time. 

After all, what does how much pigment someone has in their skin, or what sex they're attracted to got to do with anything. 

All it leads to is issues like this. 

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Why the charity is for a particular section of domestic abuse victims is another question

Because it's not seen as racist, unless it is for Whites only.

33 minutes ago, old'un said:

Mandu Reid, told BBC News that Lady Hussey's questions had been "offensive, racist and unwelcoming".

A bit like the lady's charity.

Until segregation in all forms stops, we will never be rid of racism.

Edit - I should add I'm not trying to condone what happened, just pointing out hypocrisy.

Edited by Newbie to this

Reading a transcript only evidences what was said. It doesn't reveal the nuances of HOW it was said? Just like calling someone at work "a ef**** bas***". On paper it looks offensive. If overheard it could have been offensive or said in fact with respect and admiration. I wasn't party to how what was said was said so would not want to comment further. Just the same as, at work, remarking that what someone has done "is very clever" could be an appreciative compliment or an excoriating condemnation. On paper words are words. You have to HEAR them to know what the actual tone of the dialogue was. 

Edited by enfieldspares

I am sure that the 83 year old lady meant well but was not too perceptive. Mind you, the complainant, given her name and her manner of dress, looked as if she had just stepped off a plane from Lusaka which was probably the source of the confusion.

Imagine : I turn up at a function with a blonde rinse, wearing shorts and long socks. My name badge says "Lood van Rensburg".                                                                                "And where are you from ?"   "Norfolk"    "Yes but where are you really from ?"

20 minutes ago, amateur said:

Good Grief.

Lady H is 83 and would have only been showing an interest in the exotically dressed woman.

At her age she should have been cut some slack

/\ This - but she would also have been very much on standard 'small talk' where a very normal question is 'where are you from'.

18 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

How a thing is said is everything.

That is true and we have only heard (read the transcript of) one version.  Lady H will be following her late majesty's doctrine of 'never complain, never explain'.

Edited by JohnfromUK