What a different year!

kitchrat

In November last year I shot about 100 pigeons off a single (big but difficult to shoot) field of rape for a local farmer, including a 55. This year I have yet to see a single bird feeding on any of the 1000 (approx) acres of rape I have to "protect". (I did see 1 heron but don't think he was feeding on the crop!) I doubt I will equal my Nov-April (inc) total last year of nearly 900! 

Woe is me!!

1 hour ago, kitchrat said:

In November last year I shot about 100 pigeons off a single (big but difficult to shoot) field of rape for a local farmer, including a 55. This year I have yet to see a single bird feeding on any of the 1000 (approx) acres of rape I have to "protect". (I did see 1 heron but don't think he was feeding on the crop!) I doubt I will equal my Nov-April (inc) total last year of nearly 900! 

Woe is me!!

Yes same hear I only shot 6 birds in November and the rape has not yet seen a bird. 

I will have another look around today but expect very few birds around!

Good point is I have had a good time on the tree rats, and a lot of exercise walking the hedges.

Every years different with pigeons, lot depends on natural food source and this year there seems to be plenty, been and looked at a few rape fields this last couple of weeks and I am seeing plenty of birds about but they are just flying from wood to wood, not showing any interest in the rape.

17 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Bird flu ? 

I've seen a fair few dead pigeons just by to road side  over the last few weeks .and it's not cold enough  to be frost death .

I doubt its bird flu, most studies show pigeons have a high resistant to infection of avian influenza virus.

Its just far too warm yet and such a bounty of natural food 

They are just starting to take an interest in our game crops - kale - rape- mustard - chicory but as has been said and said the beech and acorn harvest has been huge

Snow / frost  forecast next week so that can change things overnight 

I shot 62 on the 26th November last year ( the day of storm Arwen) .

The conditions locally haven’t been great- no wind or foggy.

Still plenty on beechmast and berries, however I am seeing more and more on winter rape.

When the conditions improve I will be out again- it’s been a while since I shot a pigeon.

Hitman

10 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

On my game syndicate days this season there's been noticeably fewer pigeons stirred up when we arrive and start making a commotion.  I can't hear any gas cannons yet either which is normally part of the ambient noise by this time of year.

I would go along with that as being pretty identical , our rape is totally untouched and to be honest I am glad it is as I don't no longer enjoy sitting around for long periods in the cold , the game and wildfowl season is getting well underway now and it wont be long before we go back into pigeon mode , how it will be by then ? only time will tell .