Electric vehicle Fires

Yellow Bear

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Mungler said:

I’ve been out every day in my EV. The electric drive control in snow and ice is off the chart. The wife has a petrol 4x4 and the EV knocks spots off it in the ice and snow.

Ask anyone who actually has an EV what they make of them and ignore everyone else.

My Forester is 8 years old, if it was an EV I would be looking at 10k plus for a new battery and to produce that hundreds of tonnes of material would have to be mined.  It would have cost me a fortune new and would be a constant fire risk to me and the public at large.  I would also need off road charging which I don't have.  No thanks on every front.

Obtaining the necessary minerals to produce a single 1,000 lb EV battery involves mining, moving and processing 500,000 lbs of raw materials.

8 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

My Forester is 8 years old, if it was an EV I would be looking at 10k plus for a new battery and to produce that hundreds of tonnes of material would have to be mined.  It would have cost me a fortune new and would be a constant fire risk to me and the public at large.  I would also need off road charging which I don't have.  No thanks on every front.

Obtaining the necessary minerals to produce a single 1,000 lb EV battery involves mining, moving and processing 500,000 lbs of raw materials.

Horses for courses.

As for green credentials, I care not.

Seriously, ask anyone who actually has an EV what they make of it before believing anything else. 

I’ve had mine over a year now and wouldn’t go back to petrol / diesel.

6 hours ago, Mungler said:

Horses for courses.

Precisely.

Your EV might be better than a Chelsea tractor for local journeys, but what if you wanted a weekend away at Wasdale Head in the Lakes. Would you take the EV and all the stress and time spent looking for charging points or would it be the wife's 4x4?

Oh dear Lord you all so want to over complicate this.

Ive never run out of petrol, diesel or electric - I’m sure plenty do. I’m also sure that on a day to day basis more people put petrol into a diesel car (and vice versa) than run out of electric.

Long journeys in an EV are entirely permissible with a minimal amount of planning. My brother drove his EV from Essex to Devon (where the hotel in Sidmouth had a charger in the hotel car park). None of this is rocket science.

My daily commute is 10 miles each way. I often have to drive to Kent and Felixstowe and don’t think twice about taking the EV.

We did a family holiday 2 years ago in the new forest. Even though the cottage we stayed at had a dedicated charger point, we decided to take the wife’s car.

Again, I repeat, none of this is rocket science.

Talk to any EV driver and they will say the same thing. 

Talk to any EV driver and they will say the same thing. 

Eldest got rid of his Mercedes CLS 350 AMG for an EQC 400 AMG line 4Matic. Loves it. Uses it for short journeys and has no need to plan. Charger installed at home. Lot quicker than the 350 CLS, which was no slouch.

For holidays they have a Mercedes V Class.

Edited by Gordon R

3 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Eldest got rid of his Mercedes CLS 350 AMG for an EQC 400 AMG line 4Matic. Loves it. Uses it for short journeys and has no need to plan. Charger installed at home. Lot quicker than the 350 CLS, which was no slouch.

For holidays they have a Mercedes V Class.

Thank you Gordon. 

People laugh at paying £70k + for an electric car, but don't think twice about buying a Range Rover.

I see their point - Range Rovers are fault free.

I wouldn't personally buy an electric car, neither would my youngest. Eldest used his freedom of choice and got one. 

Each to his own.

I, like most, business lease my EV. Massive tax efficiencies right there along with no ulez and no congestion charges.

I’ve had mine over a year now, it will go back in 2 years time and I am certain that I will then get whatever next generation EV is on offer.

So, I don’t have shares in Tesla (I’ve the ipace not a Tesla) and I don’t even ‘own’ an EV (I throw the keys of mine back in 2 years time), and yet there are those who have never been in an EV let alone drive an EV who refuse to entertain that there is any merit to an EV. Interesting 🤔 

9 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I see their point - Range Rovers are fault free.

That made me spit my tea out 😆

My parents got rid of their electric jaguar IPace ev400 after having too many problems. Being stranded with no way of moving it on a bust A road was the final straw., due to a battery fault, happened twice. 
When it was working ok it was a joy to drive., very good acceleration. They’re not for everyone but fire is a risk, a worry if parked in your garage charging.  With prices of electricity so high unless your in a ulez zone as Mungler getting tax breaks your no better off over standard fueled cars. 

@Mungler my only worry with electric cars in snow is same with big heavy 4x4 great at moving. Very poor at stopping due to weight. 

Edited by figgy

31 minutes ago, figgy said:

My parents got rid of their electric jaguar IPace ev400 after having too many problems. Being stranded with no way of moving it on a bust A road was the final straw., due to a battery fault, happened twice. 
When it was working ok it was a joy to drive., very good acceleration. They’re not for everyone but fire is a risk, a worry if parked in your garage charging.  With prices of electricity so high unless your in a ulez zone as Mungler getting tax breaks your no better off over standard fueled cars. 

@Mungler my only worry with electric cars in snow is same with big heavy 4x4 great at moving. Very poor at stopping due to weight. 

Fair do’s.

I’ve not had a sniff of a problem with mine and I’ve thrashed the life out of it too 😆

On the snow it is quite amazing - the electric gizmos take over. On the first day of snow / ice I took the wife’s X3 into work. Next day I took the iPace. No contest for which was better in the snow.

Back on reliability. That’s a red line for me. As soon as a car becomes unreliable it’s gone.

Friend of a friend got the Porsche electric thingy - said it was like no other driving experience, but the thing kept packing up and locking him out etc  and so it went back. He said it was the both the best car and the worst car he’s ever had. He’s sworn to get one again in the years to come once the gremlins have been ironed out. 

10 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

These horse-less carriages will never catch on you know, and are certainly not for me!

do you know the first recorded road traffic accident was in norfolk on the watton road opposite the turning to the john innes centre....it is recorded in stone on a  lintel on the porch of the church opposite the turning.........

26 minutes ago, ditchman said:

do you know the first recorded road traffic accident was in norfolk on the watton road opposite the turning to the john innes centre....it is recorded in stone on a  lintel on the porch of the church opposite the turning.........

The whole of Norfolk was a accident, made by God.

2 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

But i would walk 500 miles,

And i would walk 500 more,

Just to be the man who walks a thousand miles,

To kick you up the back door.

you write lyrics as well.......no end to your talents................how are you on EV fires ?