Mitsubishi L200, what to look for

Libertyandlivelihood

I have a 2004 that has done 180k

fuel tank has a leak if I fill it up more than half

Oil is leaking from the engine (but it does not lose much oil)

rear bushes need replacing

4wd indicator is flashing when in 2wd (but it still goes into 4wd ok)

Nasty knock from the front when on full lock in 4wd (I think drive shaft area approx)

Reversing light has packed in but I have a rear spot I can turn on instead anyway

It has high fuel consumption

On the plus side it starts first time every time and carries everything I need it too on and off road with the same ride quality. It defrosts really quickly on cold mornings.

I have a 2013 Barbarian 174hp version. 33mpg on road tyres, 24mpg on Insa turbo mud terrains.

As above, look for cambelt change, regular servicing (easy to drop the oil out, no jack needed). Just do a full service when you get it including gearbox, diffs and coolant & get the underside oiled/waxoyled.

I replaced all shocks with terrafirma all terrain, 20% stiffer front springs, and rear leaf's with additional helper spring when they needed done and poly bushes all round, very little body roll on it now and carries a load well. 

Good luck with whatever you do buy!

10 hours ago, 243deer said:

I have a 2004 that has done 180k

fuel tank has a leak if I fill it up more than half

Oil is leaking from the engine (but it does not lose much oil)

rear bushes need replacing

4wd indicator is flashing when in 2wd (but it still goes into 4wd ok)

Nasty knock from the front when on full lock in 4wd (I think drive shaft area approx)

Reversing light has packed in but I have a rear spot I can turn on instead anyway

It has high fuel consumption

On the plus side it starts first time every time and carries everything I need it too on and off road with the same ride quality. It defrosts really quickly on cold mornings.

It’s a shed!

Why did you let it get in such a state?

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Pops_Hants said:

I appreciate this isn't all L200's, but I've had a couple of mates with them when the engine decides the crankshaft and conrods are no longer friends, has put me off them 

Some of the 2003/4 ish ones did have a few problems with head gaskets caused by faulty egr coolers and with crankshafts caused by the front pulley/ damper failing.

I have a 2010 l200 and cant fault it - done about 140k now and has never put a foot wrong. Put bfg all terrains on 40,000 miles ago and it goes anywhere. Obviously depends what you're used to as it is a truck and drives as such. mpg not great but i didnt buy it to be economical.