Ford Kuga

DUNKS

Hi. Been offered a good deal on a 2017 Kuga titanium 180 bhp diesel.

Any comments on this vehicle please. Appeals to us oldies as its easy to get in and out of.

Things I dont like are the stop start and DPF but I think these are things to learn to live with.

I had a 2009 kuga titanium permanent 4x4 version and it was an excellent car, i only got rid of it to upgrade to a ford ranger wild track. I did have an issue with the dpf  system but not the dpf itself, despite main dealer trying to charge for the dpf I was given insider knowledge (a friend was a ford tech at the time) I insisted they checked the sensors and as if by magic my bill substantially decreased and the kuga ran like a dream once the sensor was done. In my opinion very good on diesel it was 2tdci. Handles very well, never got stuck, plenty of room in the boot and even more so with the seats folded down. Overall I think the kuga is a excellent example in the crossover/suv market. And I believe £149 for a Mai dealer service. 

As has been said the stop start can be turned off but I have also found if you leave the aircon on (hot or cold) it acts as a sort of built in stop start kill switch. 
there must be a software update that will turn it off permanently. 
I did forget on a few occasions to turn on the lights as the DRLs were bright, it must have had an auto function but I can’t recall. 
It was a bit wallowy in corners but it’s is a bit higher and dumpier than others. 

I stopped driving it as the position of the accelerator pedal gave me horrendous knee pain, just the kuga. 
mondeo focus and fiesta no issues

39 minutes ago, Charliedog said:

You soon become used to start/stop, its really not an issue and improves mpg and hugs trees at the same time

But surely affects starter motor and battery life.

1 hour ago, bornfree said:

Start stop is the answer to a question that nobody ever asked.

And is a total pain in the Harris.

39 minutes ago, Charliedog said:

You soon become used to start/stop, its really not an issue and improves mpg and hugs trees at the same time

It has its place, grid locked roads where you are constantly starting and stoping, other than that it’s dangerous. First thing I do when I get in the wife’s car is turn it off. Example:- Come to a roundabout/t junction and car cuts out, see gap and attempt to pull away, car eventually wakes up restarts engine the gaps gone, car cuts out again repeat indefinitely, or worse case scenario car eventually wakes up and restarts engine and goes to pull away way after you’ve required it to do so and you find yourself with x/y/z car Implanted in the side of your car. Untill it becomes instantaneous it will remain dangerous. (Just my opinion obviously) 

3 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

It has its place, grid locked roads where you are constantly starting and stoping, other than that it’s dangerous. First thing I do when I get in the wife’s car is turn it off. Example:- Come to a roundabout/t junction and car cuts out, see gap and attempt to pull away, car eventually wakes up restarts engine the gaps gone, car cuts out again repeat indefinitely, or worse case scenario car eventually wakes up and restarts engine and goes to pull away way after you’ve required it to do so and you find yourself with x/y/z car Implanted in the side of your car. Untill it becomes instantaneous it will remain dangerous. (Just my opinion obviously) 

My findings exactly. 
We, too, turn it off instantly after starting up.

47 minutes ago, Charliedog said:

I had to replace the battery on a vw caddy van at work. The price was £147 for the stop start model £72 for the non stop start model.  All this green rubbish is a con.

18 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

On my Kuga (2019), you have to put the car in neutral and take your foot off the clutch for the auto start/stop the kick in, as soon as you depress the clutch the engine starts again. I never put the car in neutral until it is parked, so mine never activates.

23 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

On my Kuga (2019), you have to put the car in neutral and take your foot off the clutch for the auto start/stop the kick in, as soon as you depress the clutch the engine starts again. I never put the car in neutral until it is parked, so mine never activates.

Unfortunately that is not the case with automatics though (the wife’s car is auto/tiptronic) I should have made that clear in my post. I drive a ranger wildtrack manual that also has this technology and you are quite right neutral and brakes etc for it to kick in…..I still turn it off with the button and leave it that way.  I just don’t trust it. 

1 hour ago, Spr1985 said:

Unfortunately that is not the case with automatics though (the wife’s car is auto/tiptronic) I should have made that clear in my post. I drive a ranger wildtrack manual that also has this technology and you are quite right neutral and brakes etc for it to kick in…..I still turn it off with the button and leave it that way.  I just don’t trust it. 

Further depressing the brake pedal should restart the engine. Do that as you see the gap and you should be good to go by the time you move your foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal.

9 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

Further depressing the brake pedal should restart the engine. Do that as you see the gap and you should be good to go by the time you move your foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal.

I’ll give it a go next time I go out in it and see what happens 👍🏻 (that’s assuming habit and muscle memory don’t take over and hit that off switch 🤣

11 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

Wife’s Discovery Sport (auto) starts again when you touch the accelerator, but too late for the gap in heavy traffic. Stupid, unnecessary invention.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Wife’s Discovery Sport (auto) starts again when you touch the accelerator, but too late for the gap in heavy traffic. Stupid, unnecessary invention.

Hi are you saying, bring tine car to a standstill in "D" with foot on the brake "the engine stops?"

Edited by DUNKS

I had a Skoda Octavia greenline as a company car a few year back, it was a 13 plate and that had stop start but it only kicked in in neutral with the clutch pedal released so I never used to notice it unless stuck in traffic. I did manage to stall it a couple of time but I was driving over a thousand miles a week and that car was basically just and extension of my body.

Just before Christmas I ended up going to Belfast with work and got a fiesta eco boost *** as a hire car, the stop start would kick in while it was still rolling and it beeped every time you did anything, far too many sensors for my liking but you could still turn off the stop start.

Loved mine, 2011 titanium 163bhp 

very economical 

Roomy

Comfortable

check under rear carpets, footwells and boot floor for leaks, they are prone to this, 

If you get problems with key fob batteries only use Duracell, they don’t seem to like anything else.

If you do get DPF problems you can have it deleted 🫢

Get 4 wheel tracking done, it saves tyres 

Make sure the autobox has been serviced if it’s an auto.

Enjoy it

:shaun:

1989D7B7-EC87-4954-9E55-4D14F25907BE.jpeg