Miroku bore diameters (12 bore)

freddie d

Hi folks,

I was curious to know what bore diameter the more modern Miroku models were, are they all the same as the browning at 18.7. I read something that the Miroku MK60 had a tighter 18.4 bore which was supposedly better for gas sealing with fibre wads. Is this true? or are all models of miroku barrels 18.7?

Cheers

Same as Browning I believe. 18.7mm for invector + choked guns. The older invector choked guns were not back bored.

I read on some other forum that someone bought a brand new Mk60 and thought the barrels were choked tighter than they should have been, he measured the bore as 18.7 on his MK60so I suppose it depends on the age of the gun, 

older mk60s could have 18.4 bores, maybe 

Dont bother yourself with all the " supposedly this and supposedly that " written in magazines,and sales publicity ,its all gimmick sales pitch and suppersition. 

Was in the trade all my working life and I've heard it all ,I've bored barrels to ridiculous sizes for people who believe an extra thou or two will make all the difference , same as choke boring requests  , that a .007 " will be so so much better than a .008" or .006" . 

The one thing I have decided beyond any doubt in my own mind is that there is a lot of psychology involved in shooting . If you believe something is so it must be so .

People have come to me with problems about gun fit , chokes etc where the biggest problem is that they THINK they have a problem .My advice was to stop thinking about it and just shoot .

I know this does not answer your original question and to be truthful I dont know and really dont care and I suggest you do the same , once its in the mind it will always be there and every poor shot or miss will feed the little voice in your ear ,whispering  " if only you had ........."🤫

Edited by Gunman

23 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Dont bother yourself with all the " supposedly this and supposedly that " written in magazines,and sales publicity ,its all gimmick sales pitch and suppersition. 

Was in the trade all my working life and I've heard it all ,I've bored barrels to ridiculous sizes for people who believe an extra thou or two will make all the difference , same as choke boring requests  , that a .007 " will be so so much better than a .008" or .006" . 

The one thing I have decided beyond any doubt in my own mind is that there is a lot of psychology involved in shooting . If you believe something is so it must be so .

People have come to me with problems about gun fit , chokes etc where the biggest problem is that they THINK they have a problem .My advice was to stop thinking about it and just shoot .

I know this does not answer your original question and to be truthful I dont know and really dont care and I suggest you do the same , once its in the mind it will always be there and every poor shot or miss will feed the little voice in your ear ,whispering  " if only you had ........."🤫

Excellent!

One of the most sensible posts I have seen on this forum.

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

I have always suspected that the ‘back bored’ hype was created by Browning/Miroku fot only two reasons:
1: to convince hunters with older models that they are now outgunned and that the only sensible thing to cure that situation is to buy a new back bored model. Of course the obsolete model will be taken in as part of the payment, but only for a very disappointing price because they are not in demand anymore.

Just now, reindeer said:

I have always suspected that the ‘back bored’ hype was created by Browning/Miroku fot only two reasons:
1: to convince hunters with older models that they are now outgunned and that the only sensible thing to cure that situation is to buy a new back bored model. Of course the obsolete model will be taken in as part of the payment, but only for a very disappointing price because they are not in demand anymore.

2: By backboring, the outer diametre of the tubes can be slightly wider aswell without changing wall thickness and this reduces the visible flare that is needed to house the screw in chokes.

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

This, this, this and this! 
I’m convinced that 3/8th and 1/2 ( with my particular favourite cartridge ) is the perfect combination for game, for me.
I have two guns set up with this combination, and although I know it’s psychological it gives me tremendous confidence and I shoot very very well with either gun in this combination. 
I’m old enough now to realise that if I have an off day however, and it does happen, then it’s not the chokes, it isnt the gun, and it isn’t the cartridges, it’s me! As a result I change nothing. 
I know folks who have an off day with a combination they’ve shot well with previously, but as a result they allow doubt to creep in, then next thing you know they’re swapping chokes, but they’ve already lost confidence, so it doesn’t work, so next thing they’ve changed cartridges, but it’s too late….a mates having great success with his Browning 20 bore, and so it’s off to the gun dealers!  🙂

I know it’s psychological because I shoot very well with a 3/8th choke in my auto when decoying, but with a totally different cartridge, and with that same cartridge but through my trap gun. 🤷‍♂️
It’s a strange old game this shooting lark, but if you KNOW you can shoot, then you’ve got it cracked; if you have any doubts then it can be an expensive frustrating nightmare! 🙂

The best thing you can do if the wheels come off when previously they were free wheeling, in my opinion, is correct and repetitive practise of your mount. 

5 minutes ago, reindeer said:

I agree - gun makers figured our years ago that shotguns (if looked after) last forever. You often need a gimmick to sell more guns when the existing ones are just fine (which isn't to say that there have been no technological developments, but still....)

14 hours ago, freddie d said:

Hi folks,

I was curious to know what bore diameter the more modern Miroku models were, are they all the same as the browning at 18.7. I read something that the Miroku MK60 had a tighter 18.4 bore which was supposedly better for gas sealing with fibre wads. Is this true? or are all models of miroku barrels 18.7?

Cheers

Can't answer your question specifically about Miroku, but you're right to ask. I'm not for one minute saying that backboring WILL cause gas leakage passed a fibre wad, but it CAN. Pattern testing my Maxus reflected blown patterns, filthy barrels and worst of all, balled shot. However, it must be emphasised that this only occured with just one cartridge make of those tried. No need to panic, but just be aware.

Gunman has it spot on. Marketing claims re back boring are….well….just that really….marketing.

Re the Miroku guns. I really like them and have shot with them a fair bit over the years. The MK60 and 70 (I can’t comment on the 38) both became back bored from a certain date onwards, perhaps 2012….? The only advantage I could discern with the later type, was that with an extra 10 to 12 thou taken out of the bore, the barrels were lighter and handling was a tad livelier - and all the more pleasant for it. Not part of the marketing message, but a reasonable plus. As far as ballistics…….. well…. if I was on them I hit, if I wasn’t I missed. Simple as that. With the longer forcing cones, they were slightly more cartridge fussy, but I found the soft Eley fibre wads gave a good seal and nice patterns. That’s my two penneth for what it’s worth. 

OP asked whether back boring reduced sealing effectiveness of fibre wads. Yes, it does, this was demonstrated by Nigel Teague many years ago.

Longer forcing cones are also detrimental to fibre wads too. Nitro cards and fibre wads are limited in their ability to expand and fill the bore; the longer the forcing cone the longer it takes for the card to get a tight fit. 

My old yildiz with 18.6mm bores and long forcing cones performed horribly with fibre wadded ammunition; always sounded like a cough rather than a crack when it was fired, and it would inevitably experience heavy lead fouling which took forever to remove.

By contrast, my supernova with an 18.4 mm bore and short forcing cone has neither of these problems.

15 hours ago, Smudger687 said:

OP asked whether back boring reduced sealing effectiveness of fibre wads. Yes, it does, this was demonstrated by Nigel Teague many years ago.

Longer forcing cones are also detrimental to fibre wads too. Nitro cards and fibre wads are limited in their ability to expand and fill the bore; the longer the forcing cone the longer it takes for the card to get a tight fit. 

My old yildiz with 18.6mm bores and long forcing cones performed horribly with fibre wadded ammunition; always sounded like a cough rather than a crack when it was fired, and it would inevitably experience heavy lead fouling which took forever to remove.

By contrast, my supernova with an 18.4 mm bore and short forcing cone has neither of these problems.

My old (1930) English gun has bores measuring 18,65 and patterns and performs faultlessly with fibre wads. The only fouling that happens is plastic if I am unfortunate enough to have to fire a plaswad through it. It does, of course, have short forcing cones. 

On 29/01/2023 at 08:39, Gunman said:

This. Very much so. Sometimes based on actual benefit in performance, Sometimes just a confidence booster based on a belief, a theory, and half heard long repeated practice of this "great shot" or that "great shot".