Teague Choke Damage

Raymondinio

I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else & i've not heard of it happening before but today I was shooting my local ground (100 Sporting), on the 5th stand I noticed what I thought was a bit a small bit of plastic wad stuck to the inside of the barrel.....Turns out it wasn't plastic wad, see attached pics

I can't see any damage to the barrels thankfully but will get local gunsmith to check it out, I've emailed Teague today but just wondered what anyone else's thoughts are.

I've had them just under a year and have  shot 2/3000 cartridges through them & they were in tight in the barrel.

FYI I shoot an XS Pro, the chokes are Invector Plus Super extended titanium. 

IMG_0860.jpeg

IMG_0858.jpeg

IMG_0857.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Raymondinio said:

There is a positive then, back to my Browning chokes for a while I guess...Be interesting to see what Teague have to say.

I will be most surprised if they say much at all.

But do get an expert eye (your Gun Smith) to check it out.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

So it looks like you have lost the ring  off both chokes and the  inner end off  the shorter one and it's been ripped off so hard that the metal has folded back down inside the choke  which looks like you have maybe taken another shot with it in that condition .

Shocking  is what it is .

For all those people who say there is very little pressure at the muzzle in a shot gun . 

Take note .

I no longer use Teague chokes in any of my guns. I am fed up having to tighten them after every 15 to 20 shots. The answer given to me............"Ah yes, but you MUST use Teagues own choke grease to stop them from coming loose"  ??? My answer to the problem was to sell the Teagues and buy Briley chokes, problem over  !   I use Lucas gun oil on my chokes, never had any issues. I have seen similar damage as shown above on a Teague choke, but that was around 15 years ago. That was put down to a loose choke too  ?

Edited by Westley

I’ve never had 12 bore chokes of any kind that don’t work loose - with enough cartridges fired. They all need a quick tightening now and then. I haven’t noticed that my Teagues loosen faster than any others. 

As a side note, my Yildiz 410 chokes never budge. Must be due to less recoil / vibration. 

I’ve had loads of Teague chokes over the years, and still have three sets.

As Fellside says I also haven’t had any which won’t work loose given time, which is why at each stand on a clay day I’ll insert a finger into any flush ones and give an external one a tweak. 
On a game day I do it each time I remove my gun from its slip.

It’s just something I’ve got into the habit of doing now, so it’s no biggy. 
As a result I can’t recall the last time I noticed one was loose. 
I use Hoppes gun grease. 

I can ASSURE you that I no longer have any chokes that come loose by themselves.  I do not remove them every time I clean the gun, they get removed every fifth or sixth outing. I have been cleaning multi choked guns since my first Winchoke gun in the late 60', early 70's. I even had a Teague/Drew multi choked Miroku 3750 in the 70's. NONE of those chokes ever came loose either. Before anyone suggests it, I do not use a 3' bar to tighten them with, just a beretta plastic choke key.

Edited by Westley

13 hours ago, London Best said:

Removeable internal barrel parts???

What a stupid idea!

Ditto . Seen it before , distorted and damaged chokes , some caused by not seating correctly Just because they are in tight does not mean they are in correctly and it dosnt take much foreign matter to stop that .Any small gap can be the cause of a build up of fouling and that leads to problems .

Edited by Gunman

6 hours ago, Bobba said:

And your hard evidence for this conclusion is???

+ 1

18 hours ago, Raymondinio said:

Think you'll find if you read my post I have not slated teague at all, I just asked if anyone else has had this happen before and asked for thoughts...everyone is allowed an opinion, unless your posting from North Korea Wylye?

So you must have spoken to Teague today. What was their response?

I spoke to them this morning,  very helpful & nice people & I explained in detail what happened they have recommended seeing a gunsmith  to ensure no gunk in the barrel thread as someone has said might have been in tight but only up to the compressed gunk  but I remove chokes after every outing so not sure it is that, however they have said send both back & they will inspect them but in their experience it's a loose choke & it only needs to be a tiny bit to cause damage but not jumping to any conclusions just yet.