Vehicle trackers

ilovemyheckler

Yes, but it depends a bit on what vehicle, what insurance co - and (I think) where you live.

I bought an 'big engined' BMW estate nearly new 15 years ago.  Previous owner had had a tracker fitted (Tracker?) and I took it on (a once off payment).  I believe his insurance had required it.  My insurance didn't require it, but gave me a discount (I think it was 15%) - which if I remember right paid back the transfer fee over a few years.  Still have the car actually, though near 'end of life' now.

Interesting thing is that I have no idea if the tracker still works after 16 years!

It can reduce premiums with some insurers but that doesn’t mean the cheapest/best insurers for that make and model will 

I had a tracker fitted and it reduced premiums but the main reason for having it was that if it was stolen I don’t want the scrote getting away with it 

D

I’ve used AirTags for things in the past and each time the batteries have lasted almost bang on a year, so they need to be a bit accessible to keep them active. 

As to the ‘finding’ range, all it needs is an iPhone within range to relay the location to the internet and on to you. I’ve been able to track things in my London office from dubai. Also had one in luggage and could follow it on the journey around various airports.

I don't know which tracker but two cars were stolen local to me recently (house broken into for keys)

Both has trackers but neither have been recovered ,I heard they were last tracked 20 miles up the road 

Can teackers be blocked / removed at the road side?

If it’s a question of cost there are a lot of good pet trackers that work in a similar way with an app but remember to use something that has a charger (e.g. you don’t need to disconnect batteries to charge

we use Tractive for our dog that would work in a car if you just want the tracking function (and it has a virtual fence that will alert if the tracker leaves the area)

you’d need to tape the charger to the tracker as it just magnetic and obviously hide the tracker 

12 minutes ago, chrisp said:

I don't know which tracker but two cars were stolen local to me recently (house broken into for keys)

Both has trackers but neither have been recovered ,I heard they were last tracked 20 miles up the road 

Can teackers be blocked / removed at the road side?

It’s possible to remove but it’s possible they just drove the vehicle into a shipping container which would just block the signal 

The other “trick” is to drive the car a few miles away park up for 24-48h and see if anyone turns up rather than taking it back to somewhere associated with them with a tracking device 

Edited by Downforce

Yes i heard that as well they steal your car park it up and leave it to see if there's a tracker on it and it gets recovered . Or they have a quick look and just rip the trim off where a tracker could be thats why your maybe better getting a tracker fitted by a garage somewhere out the road 

On 07/06/2023 at 11:11, Bigbob said:

I struggled to get insurance for the range rover with out fitting a tracker 

I can't get insurance with my current insurance company on the" Green Oval" brand if it's valued at £30,000 or more. Keyless entry is the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Tracker blockers are for sale on the well known auction site from @ £15 upwards, there is a better system that works on the old analogue waves i think, it can't be blocked by these gadgets and if the vehicle is put in a container it just acts as a massive aerial to boost the signal. A lot of large machinery hire companies use this system now, i don't know the ins and outs but it does work. The golf club i worked at had a John Deere gator recovered from a travellers site using this system, unfortunately no one arrested.

S

Automatrics M track is the system.

S