A question on batteries (AA etc.) and leakage

JohnfromUK

I have recently had two items (a meter and a torch) damaged by leaking batteries (AA Duracell in the meter and AAA Panasonic in the torch).  Both were still working fine (i.e. not completely flat).  The torch is a write off, but the meter was fortunately 'salvageable'.  I have now looked at several other battery items and detected a number of batteries beginning to leak.

I have see these https://www.energizer.com/about-batteries/no-leaks-guarantee  which claim to be genuinely leak proof (though I believe the 'guarantee is probably USA only).  Does anyone have any experience of these - or any other battery that is reasonably safe from leaking?

The Energiser link above also gives good advice on cleaning up battery leakage - which with modern alkaline batteries is much less corrosive than older zinc/carbon batteries.

Hello, I use those energizers in my old photon, rechargable  and normal and never had a problem, the recharge ones X 4 I've had over 5 years and still hold charge and never leaked, for general AAs Lidl do some I found good, energizer bought off eBay 4 X £8 , that reminds me to buy some more for winter as spares

16 minutes ago, samboy said:

That's why i check my torches etc regularly. I also have had this happen.

I know - I should have done.  It is my fault.  One AAA sized Fenix (aluminium I think) has corroded to the extent that I cannot remove the corroded battery - hence a write off.  My other AAA sized Fenix is titanium, and that has fortunately not corroded and survives despite leakage.  The meter had some damage to the contacts, but a clean and 'neutralise' as suggested in the Energiser link seems to have saved the day there. 

I had thought that alkaline batteries were pretty much leak proof.  Clearly not the case - and leakage happens before they give up working.  Things like TV remotes are to be checked now as the batteries in there 'last' for years - so might easily leak.

I believe lithium batteries are pretty much leak proof and I have also never myself had a leak from nickel metal hydride (NiMh) rechargeables - despite some of those being in service as backup power for many years.

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

energizer bought off eBay 4 X £8 , that reminds me to buy some more for winter as spares

Energiser AA Max are currently £8.79 from Amazon for a pack of 12.

11 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I know - I should have done.  It is my fault.  One AAA sized Fenix (aluminium I think) has corroded to the extent that I cannot remove the corroded battery - hence a write off.  My other AAA sized Fenix is titanium, and that has fortunately not corroded and survives despite leakage.  The meter had some damage to the contacts, but a clean and 'neutralise' as suggested in the Energiser link seems to have saved the day there. 

I had thought that alkaline batteries were pretty much leak proof.  Clearly not the case - and leakage happens before they give up working.  Things like TV remotes are to be checked now as the batteries in there 'last' for years - so might easily leak.

I believe lithium batteries are pretty much leak proof and I have also never myself had a leak from nickel metal hydride (NiMh) rechargeables - despite some of those being in service as backup power for many years.

Energiser AA Max are currently £8.79 from Amazon for a pack of 12.

Yes but I need 4 more rechargable 👍

Pound shop batteries(B&M or Home bargains) are ideal or amazon own brand. They last long enough for 1 outing and then change for fresh next time. 

I always carry spares anyway.

We're such a disposable society now, absolutely nothing is made to last more than the day it's used.

4 hours ago, Centrepin said:

They last long enough for 1 outing and then change for fresh next time.

Both the little AAA torches and meter are things used occasionally (e.g. one torch was on car key ring).  As such, I want a battery (likely to be a non rechargeable as I want long shelf life) which doesn't leak and works when needed. 

I use rechargeable in many things (including my main torch and head torch - both used daily for dog walking in winter), but the high(ish) self discharge and short charged shelf life makes then unsuited to things only used occasionally.

I'm looking for a battery that can be left in a torch/item for a decent period safely for occasional emergency usage.

I have ordered some Energisers (as linked in the original post) in AAA for my keyring style torch (where the original leakage happened) and will see what happens with these, but unfortunately it should be a long time before I know if they are really 'leak proof'.

14 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have ordered some Energisers (as linked in the original post) in AAA for my keyring style torch (where the original leakage happened) and will see what happens with these, but unfortunately it should be a long time before I know if they are really 'leak proof'.

Hi John,

I have had similar disasters with Duracell. One even leaked from a clock and stained an old cabinet below. Also similar leaking stories to those above re kit etc. In each case I was able to claim ‘new for new’ from Duracell for ruined property. They do their best to discourage of course. I ended up speaking to a dedicated office in Portugal (at their cost) emailed photos of damage, examples of replacement prices etc. They payed up. I too now use Energizer batteries. Wouldn’t touch Duracell with a barge poll. I can’t now find the phone number, and it may have even changed, but if you start with customer services…? 

1 minute ago, Fellside said:

Hi John,

I have had similar disasters with Duracell. One even leaked from a clock and stained an old cabinet below. Also similar leaking stories to those above re kit etc. In each case I was able to claim ‘new for new’ from Duracell for ruined property. They do their best to discourage of course. I ended up speaking to a dedicated office in Portugal (at their cost) emailed photos of damage, examples of replacement prices etc. They payed up. I too now use Energizer batteries. Wouldn’t touch Duracell with a barge poll. I can’t now find the phone number, and it may have even changed, but if you start with customer services…? 

Thanks.  My only 'write off' has been a small Fenix torch with an AAA in it - about £12 I think.  The AAA is so corroded I can't get it out (the Fenix is aluminium which I think must be especially vulnerable).  I'm not therefore 100% sure but I think that one is a Panasonic cell.  The meter I had was a Duracell (AA size) but luckily was salvageable - as was an electric clock - which I'm pretty sure was a Duracell, but that was a while ago.  I don't think I have sufficient 'evidence' to make a claim from Duracell as neither of the ones that I know were Duracell were written off - and I have no pictures as it happened a while ago.  I will bear it in mind for the future though.

I'm hoping the Energisers will be leak free.  What has been annoying is that these leaks I have had have been whilst the battery is still working the item, so unless you throw then batteries away at say 2 years or something - the risk is that you won't notice that it's leaking until damage is done.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Thanks.  My only 'write off' has been a small Fenix torch with an AAA in it - about £12 I think.  The AAA is so corroded I can't get it out (the Fenix is aluminium which I think must be especially vulnerable).  I'm not therefore 100% sure but I think that one is a Panasonic cell.  The meter I had was a Duracell (AA size) but luckily was salvageable - as was an electric clock - which I'm pretty sure was a Duracell, but that was a while ago.  I don't think I have sufficient 'evidence' to make a claim from Duracell as neither of the ones that I know were Duracell were written off - and I have no pictures as it happened a while ago.  I will bear it in mind for the future though.

I'm hoping the Energisers will be leak free.  What has been annoying is that these leaks I have had have been whilst the battery is still working the item, so unless you throw then batteries away at say 2 years or something - the risk is that you won't notice that it's leaking until damage is done.

Yes understood. At the end of the day they are just unreliable - all marketing front. I haven’t had any trouble with Energizer. I suppose that’s only a market survey of ‘one’ individual however. No idea what others have experienced. They do have a ‘non leak’ claim….?

10 hours ago, bigroomboy said:

Best bet is rechargeable. They are all low self discharge these days so no issue with occasional use. The other alternative is lithium. Very dependable even in low temps but more expensive. The IKEA rechargeable batteries are very good as mentioned above.

I do like and use rechargeables (including lithium ones) - but - and this particularly applies to one cell devices - the lower terminal voltage is a problem in some applications.  Several of my items shut off at around 1.3 Volts, so you only get about half use from NiMH and NiCad.  It wasn't a problem with older incandescent bulbs - although they did get much less bright!

Normal cell is from around 1.6 Volts (full) to around 1.3 (flat).  Many rechargeables (NiMH and older NiCad) are only around 1.4 Volts (fully charged) to 1.2 Volts (discharged).  Lithium voltage depends on the particular chemistry.