Oil finish

Mr grumpy

Any recommendations for someone to give my stock a nice oil finish? This is a new gun with nice wood,which would look even better with a good oil finish,before the season starts. I'm based lancs/Yorkshire border and wouldn't consider posting it anywhere. T.I.A.

2 hours ago, Mr grumpy said:

Any recommendations for someone to give my stock a nice oil finish? This is a new gun with nice wood,which would look even better with a good oil finish,before the season starts. I'm based lancs/Yorkshire border and wouldn't consider posting it anywhere. T.I.A.

Is it new as in brand new .Or new as in new to you ? If the former I would expect the seller to make sure it was well finished before sale 

3 hours ago, Mr grumpy said:

Not a smith,a shop.its also 300 miles away as I bought it when on holiday 👍

Yes,a lot presume that because they sell guns that they are Smith's.they are not.in fact in my experience a lot of them don't even know about guns!

3 hours ago, Mr grumpy said:

I highly recommend,  via personal experience,  Greg Morris, Gun stock restoration. Fantastic  work, fast turnaround, updates re progress, at a fair  price.  Search Google or I can provide contact details. 

I have used James (demonwolf) in the past and gave him glowing reviews, however the last times I tried to do business with him, I've been left disappointed.  No response to calls or messages and when contact was made, the price and expected timescale were not agreeable. Regards

33 minutes ago, ditchman said:

might have a laquer finish when purchased

No.oil rubbed but as with most things can be better 

41 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Is it new as in brand new .Or new as in new to you ? If the former I would expect the seller to make sure it was well finished before sale 

Brand new, finished as it came from browning 

15 hours ago, London Best said:

Spot on! 
In my experience most of them don’t know much about guns.

Yet they pretend to and offer services they are not capable of doing such as boring out.(long time ago but it's till hurts, twas a good gun till then).

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

RORDON RENNETT 

🤣🤣🤣 So glad I had just put down my coffee or I'd have sput it all over laughing🤭 

Spot on

16 hours ago, Mr grumpy said:

No.oil rubbed but as with most things can be better 

Brand new, finished as it came from browning 

Browning started using some kind of oil finish that was difficult to work on so when doing alterations you could not just " patch up" . My friend  Browning UK's Gunsmith told me that even he had trouble and had to basically clean right down and effectively re-finish if there was any damage .

Dont know if they are still using he same now but suggest a little experimenting may be needed  .

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

Browning started using some kind of oil finish that was difficult to work on so when doing alterations you could not just " patch up" . My friend  Browning UK's Gunsmith told me that even he had trouble and had to basically clean right down and effectively re-finish if there was any damage .

Dont know if they are still using he same now but suggest a little experimenting may be needed  .

👍