Pipe bender -- Help PLEASE!!!!

Dekers

I need someone near Reading who has a decent Pipe bender and knows how to use it please. 

My boat has had a coming together, and a couple of stanchions and the handrail are bent!!  This is gentle work, there is nothing dramatic to do here, but I don't have a Pipe bender and I don't have any experience using one.

The way I see it, 2 tall stanchions and the hand rail need a tweak, the small stanchion visible in the 3rd picture is only leaning in because of the bends to the tall stanchions and handrail further forward!  It is Stainless steel (so quite hard) and best I can measure seems about 26mm diameter.

The boat is near Sonning (Near Reading) on the Thames. 

I'm happy to pay for someone's expertise, or offer a day out on the boat in exchange.

Can you help please?  Please PM or reply here!!

Thank you.

085.jpg.da39818377c22532ae024a2fadc94dcf.jpg084.jpg.62b4da393a2e2ad69887ebbbdc888ff0.jpg088a.jpg.21eef5d213caef01dc9ad1aef4bd61c7.jpg

I’m nowhere near you, so can’t help hands on. But that looks like it would pull straight with a block and tackle or pull lift. If you could moor up next to a tree or other substantial point to pull off would only be a couple of minutes work. 

2 minutes ago, owain said:

I’m nowhere near you, so can’t help hands on. But that looks like it would pull straight with a block and tackle or pull lift. If you could moor up next to a tree or other substantial point to pull off would only be a couple of minutes work. 

Unfortunately not, the GRP (Gelcoat anchorage) is not up to it.  Must be direct pressure on the stainless steel only!!  

47 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Your rails need to be the same external diameter as standard pipe sizes for a maching to work.

Blackpowder

I measured it at about 26mm, could be 25mm, are there standards in sizes, if so I guess its 25mm.

I know nothing in this area, if it was 26mm, what happens if you use a pipe bender close in size but not exact???

Edited by Dekers

21 minutes ago, discobob said:

It looks like they have some type of screw or allen key

could you not remove it to then carry out the rectification??

image.png

They are some sort of stainless rivet!!! 

14 minutes ago, discobob said:

ahh - sorry - sense would be to have allen key - or some type of security head at least.

I thought the same myself, first look they did seem like Allen key, unfortunately not!

You may have to take them off the boat to get them into a pipe bender 

25 mm or 1 inch is fairly big and depending on the wall thickness of the pipe you could need something a little bit bigger than one used for copper pipe 

Can’t you get whoever bumped the boat to get you new rails? Insurance claim possibly 

1 hour ago, Dekers said:

what happens if you use a pipe bender close in size but not exact???

Wrinkles, collapsed tube, tool marks.  And it's super obvious on stainless.

I think you need to take it off its mountings anyway.  Otherwise you're talking about the full weight of the bender hanging off the tube, which is a recipe for disaster.

11 hours ago, ph5172 said:

Can you not get a couple of lengths of wood and some g clamps or an unbolted tabletop vice to see if that would at least take the worse of it out 

Have done and it works to an extent, hence why I thought someone with a decent pipe bender who knew what they were doing could finish the job. Despite what looks like a bit of a bend on the small stanchion, I think it only need a slight bend on 2 stanchions and the handrail further forward and this will come out!

I think its going to be difficult to bend those tubes in situ, I would imagine they are substantial as they need to take the weight of someone leaning/pulling against them? Cannot see how you could attach anything that would do the job without it putting strain on the base fixings and causing more damage.

Although having said that if you think the base fixing that go into the boat body are strong enough you could try a winch attached to some solid object such as a car or tree.

I know nothing about boats. :)

Just now, Blackpowder said:

As stated hand benders only take 15 and 22 mm pipe.   A proper bending machine will take  larger but S/S is hard and  difficult to pull manually even on a machine.

And of course the hardest part is that you will be attempting to straighten bends rather than bend straight pipe!

Remove and take to someone who has heat and brute strength!

Can you not brace the deck with boarding same with the pipe and use a bottle jack. 
that should allow you to take it easy and watch the connectors for signs of drama. 

or do some rope type wrapping around that section to try and hide it, same with the other side to even it up  

failing that a trip to the boat repair yard I think. 

Edited by ph5172

7 hours ago, Dekers said:

Have done and it works to an extent, hence why I thought someone with a decent pipe bender who knew what they were doing could finish the job. Despite what looks like a bit of a bend on the small stanchion, I think it only need a slight bend on 2 stanchions and the handrail further forward and this will come out!

To straighten anything bent you need to bend it beyond straight to finish with straight, so have another try with your blocks of wood and clamps.