Forum problems

sitsinhedges

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, discobob said:

Swapping to a new server may have caused DNS issues with stale (redundant) addresses being served out for the old system hence people getting the issue

however I haven’t had an issue - at all!!

you are right there are issues in the DNS ie 

22.2% Answered from serv.ing.me.uk (185.73.44.84)

forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk.	60	IN	A	95.216.32.96

22.2% Answered from waffl.ing.me.uk (185.73.44.84)

22.2% Answered from badger.ing.me.uk (95.216.32.96)

forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk.	60	IN	A	65.21.205.126

11.1% Query timed out at waffl.ing.me.uk (95.154.202.169)

While querying badger.ing.me.uk/IN/A

While querying serv.ing.me.uk/IN/A

While querying waffl.ing.me.uk/IN/A

8 hours ago, quentyn said:

you are right there are issues in the DNS ie 

22.2% Answered from serv.ing.me.uk (185.73.44.84)

22.2% Answered from waffl.ing.me.uk (185.73.44.84)

22.2% Answered from badger.ing.me.uk (95.216.32.96)

forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk.	60	IN	A	65.21.205.126

While querying badger.ing.me.uk/IN/A

While querying serv.ing.me.uk/IN/A

While querying waffl.ing.me.uk/IN/A

9 hours ago, discobob said:

Swapping to a new server may have caused DNS issues with stale (redundant) addresses being served out for the old system hence people getting the issue

however I haven’t had an issue - at all!!

I'll bet I'm not the only one who hasn't the faintest idea what the two posts above mean. 

38 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I'll bet I'm not the only one who hasn't the faintest idea what the two posts above mean. 

Would you like me to explain all the technical jargon?

Well, I haven’t a clue either😂

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It's ALL age related!   :cool1:

Yup, I reckon my grandkids could explain it, probably sort it too yet once you get over 21 you're too old🤣🤣

36 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Would you like me to explain all the technical jargon?

Well, I haven’t a clue either😂

Ask a teenager, unfortunately they'll baffle you with jargon too

8 hours ago, Centrepin said:

DNS is Domain Name System.

Everything is done on IP addresses (and ports - but for the purpose of this - I will use IP Addresses). Think of these IP Addresses as a post code - every connected device has one 

Now, imagine if you just had to remember every postcode when you wanted to go somewhere - so they came up with DNS which is like an address book. You want to go to Pigeon Watch - so your computer sends out a signal saying I want to connect to Pigeon Watch. This will end up at a server that has the DNS (address book) and it responds with the IP Address for Pigeon watch (postcode). This does get retained for a bit by your computer in a local address book

Now, Pigeon Watch has moved, it has its new postcode (IP Address - happened with the migration to a new server), but your local address book, and indeed the server which holds the address book, hasn't been updated. So when you go to connect to PW you get the old address and off you go there - and lo and behold there is nothing there. This can be cached.

I would perhaps recommend setting your DNS server addresses to be 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. These are google DNS servers and more than likely have more chance of being up to date with the move....

If you are on Windows, you could try opening a command prompt and type

IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS

when you have the issues - you will get the address then from your DNS server rather than the local address book that you have

I hope that has helped - if not apologies for perhaps confusing you more...

2 minutes ago, discobob said:

DNS is Domain Name System.

Everything is done on IP addresses (and ports - but for the purpose of this - I will use IP Addresses). Think of these IP Addresses as a post code - every connected device has one 

Now, imagine if you just had to remember every postcode when you wanted to go somewhere - so they came up with DNS which is like an address book. You want to go to Pigeon Watch - so your computer sends out a signal saying I want to connect to Pigeon Watch. This will end up at a server that has the DNS (address book) and it responds with the IP Address for Pigeon watch (postcode). This does get retained for a bit by your computer in a local address book

Now, Pigeon Watch has moved, it has its new postcode (IP Address - happened with the migration to a new server), but your local address book, and indeed the server which holds the address book, hasn't been updated. So when you go to connect to PW you get the old address and off you go there - and lo and behold there is nothing there. This can be cached.

I would perhaps recommend setting your DNS server addresses to be 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. These are google DNS servers and more than likely have more chance of being up to date with the move....

If you are on Windows, you could try opening a command prompt and type

IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS

when you have the issues - you will get the address then from your DNS server rather than the local address book that you have

I hope that has helped - if not apologies for perhaps confusing you more...

I understood right up to setting a DNS server. Lost from there onwards. Don't have a clue or a computer 😀

I only have a mobile phone with Internet access. 

@discobob

I completely don't understand what you are explaining, but thanks anyway 🥴😆

So,,,, why are lots having the issues, but some others aren't ?!

Edit to add,,,, why do I/we sometimes open PW, then get kicked out, then try again [many times] and get back on, then get outed again,,,, etc etc. I'm doing this on a tablet, but can't open PW on my mobile internet 🤷

TIA

Edited by JKD

There isn’t one DNS server. There are many. 

if one doesn’t know - they will forward you onto another one who might. 
But one may go I know, but is totally wrong. 

this could be happening anywhere, including internally within where the server resides. 

this is only a possible problem - and could be a combination of problems

if there is a mod watching happy to have a call / DM convo on this 

2 issues i can see 

nsa.nic.uk doesnt know about serv.ing.me.uk & badger.ing.me.uk & waffl.ing.me.uk (185.73.44.84  which means it cant then resolve

waffl.ing.me.uk (95.154.202.169) <ing.me.uk> 

and others 

so one of the causes is that one of the UK roots doesnt know about the 3 servers which are the NS servers for pigeonwatch.co.uk 

the other issue i can see is that when the resolve does work forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk resolves to 2 different IP addresses 

waffling and serving.me.uk give the IP 95.216.32.96

where as badger.ing.me.uk gives the IP 65.21.205.126

is the server on 2 IP's ? 

So if someone can bounce this to a mod / admin i suspect if you fix the records at nic.uk for serv.ing.me.uk & badger.ing.me.uk & waffl.ing.me.uk  and resolve the 2 IP addresses the issue will be fixed...