Ruger 10/22 Your thoughts would be welcome.

hatter

I have a spare slot for 22RF on my FAC and am considering filling it with a Ruger 10/22. The rifle will be used for rabbits and squirrels and the occasional plinking session on the range. Ideally the rifle will be in its original form as I’m not interested in some of the Triggers broom models I’ve seen on Gun Trader. 

My questions are;

How “agricultural “ is the build quality? 

ShouId I budget for a replacement/ upgraded trigger? 

Does buying new guarantee a better quality than the many second hand ones I’ve seen on Guntrader? 

Other than the trigger what other modifications would be recommended for a rifle that’s main use will be pest control? 

Any advice would be gratefully received. 

Thanks. 

I got 2 slots for .22rf. I had grand ideas of 1 for target and hunting (my Brno mod 2) and I got a 10/22 for nv / hunting. Soon realised that it's completely useless at hunting past 40yards as standard. The trigger is ****. That's easily its main problem, but can be sorted. The unloading is annoying at every gate or style you cross, the plastic stock I had felt weak/floppy and accuracy from all of the above (after spending a lot of money trying to find a round that is subsonic and still cycles) was still well below the Brno. 

I sold it straight away. 

I've seen rimfire magic rifles at the range and those are tack drivers but for a lot of dollar and the only one I'd get again (tho I'm 100% a bolt man from now on) 

I have the Remington version, The model 597 in 22lr. from most tests I've saw from publications and a few YouTube comparisons they are a more accurate out of the box choice. But its downfall is the standard magazine that comes with it being a bit kack causing bad feeding and jams, although newer ones may be better. Best choice for reliability is the bigger 30rd mags.

The Ruger 10/22 is probably a more reliable rifle feed wise than the remington but like the remington you may struggle with cycling some of the subsonic rounds. High velocity works best.

Mods:

Extended magazine release, extended bolt holding open/release. Silicone buffer for working parts.

Never found a need to modify the trigger but then again I can shoot. 

To avoid gas stoppages, clean it.

No idea of the plastic stock versions as mine is wood.

I agree with the above on hunting, especially over 25 - 30 yards. For more accuracy get a bolt action.

Mine is accurate on open sights to 30 yards. Accurate on telescopic to 50 yards. At ranges over that you have to compensate for drop.

Generally mine is only used on the range just to keep my hand/eye in.

Agreed with the above suggestions. Get the extended mag release & bolt handle. mine seems fine with most subsonic ammo out to50 yds. Beyond that ie when I shoot at 100 yds I have found the cci velocitor ammo to be good. Mine with subs & the rear bolt buffer added is as quiet as my air rifle. I did replace the stock as std was too short, not sure of the make but it made shooting a pleasure with the better head/eye alignment & better fit. As for the trigger again I have found mine to be more than adequate for vermin shooting & plinking at range.

17 hours ago, Andy H said:

Make sure it has the extended mag release and the bolt release modification.

Thanks Andy that’s just the type of advice I was looking for. 

Regards Russ 

17 hours ago, Scully said:

The BRNO/CZ is a much better self loader in my opinion, and comes in .22mag’ too! 
Other than that I’d opt for a bolt action by by the same manufacturers. 
My only experience of the 10/22 is multiple stoppages. 

I’d not considered a CZ but I’ll have a look at them. My bolt action 22rf is the absolutely superb Tikka TX1 which I’m very happy with. The 10/22 would be a short range hunting/ range rifle. 

Thanks for the advice. 

Russ

16 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

I got 2 slots for .22rf. I had grand ideas of 1 for target and hunting (my Brno mod 2) and I got a 10/22 for nv / hunting. Soon realised that it's completely useless at hunting past 40yards as standard. The trigger is ****. That's easily its main problem, but can be sorted. The unloading is annoying at every gate or style you cross, the plastic stock I had felt weak/floppy and accuracy from all of the above (after spending a lot of money trying to find a round that is subsonic and still cycles) was still well below the Brno. 

I sold it straight away. 

I've seen rimfire magic rifles at the range and those are tack drivers but for a lot of dollar and the only one I'd get again (tho I'm 100% a bolt man from now on) 

That’s some very valuable advice which has given me plenty to think about. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question it’s much appreciated. 

Regards

Russ

16 hours ago, Rob85 said:

I have the Remington version, The model 597 in 22lr. from most tests I've saw from publications and a few YouTube comparisons they are a more accurate out of the box choice. But its downfall is the standard magazine that comes with it being a bit kack causing bad feeding and jams, although newer ones may be better. Best choice for reliability is the bigger 30rd mags.

The Ruger 10/22 is probably a more reliable rifle feed wise than the remington but like the remington you may struggle with cycling some of the subsonic rounds. High velocity works best.

Thanks for the reply. It’s much appreciated. 

Regards 

Russ

16 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

For hunting -  bolt action over a sa. Every time .

For long range  targets  bolt action. 

For shooting tin cans as fast as possible  semi auto . 

My primary hunting rifle is my Tikka TX1 which will always be my first choice. If I get a 10/22 it will only ever be a short range hunter or a range rifle. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply and share your thoughts with me. 

Regards 

Russ

5 hours ago, London Best said:

Just buy a bolt action.

That is very good advice. I’ve got three of those already. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply it’s much appreciated. 

Regards

Russ. 

5 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Mods:

Extended magazine release, extended bolt holding open/release. Silicone buffer for working parts.

Never found a need to modify the trigger but then again I can shoot. 

To avoid gas stoppages, clean it.

No idea of the plastic stock versions as mine is wood.

I agree with the above on hunting, especially over 25 - 30 yards. For more accuracy get a bolt action.

Mine is accurate on open sights to 30 yards. Accurate on telescopic to 50 yards. At ranges over that you have to compensate for drop.

Generally mine is only used on the range just to keep my hand/eye in.

This is the type of advice I was looking for so thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I was looking for real world experience from PW members not the advertising BS in gun magazines or YT. 

If it was used for hunting it would never be beyond 25 yards I’ve got a superbly accurate Tikka TX1 in 22rf which is my go to hunting rifle. 

From the helpful replies I’ve received I thinking it will be more of a range gun. 

Thanks again. 

Regards. 

Russ

1 hour ago, Mullard83 said:

Agreed with the above suggestions. Get the extended mag release & bolt handle. mine seems fine with most subsonic ammo out to50 yds. Beyond that ie when I shoot at 100 yds I have found the cci velocitor ammo to be good. Mine with subs & the rear bolt buffer added is as quiet as my air rifle. I did replace the stock as std was too short, not sure of the make but it made shooting a pleasure with the better head/eye alignment & better fit. As for the trigger again I have found mine to be more than adequate for vermin shooting & plinking at range.

The extended mag release and bolt handle do appear to be the most popular options. I can’t see the rifle ever being used beyond 25 yards for vermin control and the occasional 50 yard range trip so your advice has been most welcome. 

Which range do you use? I’m in Bedfordshire and am always looking for somewhere local to shoot. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply and share your experience of the 10/22. 

Regards

Russ

There's a big range of 10/22s so I wouldn't rule out shooting past 25m. I shoot a lot of gallery rifle comps and many of them have 50m stages. They can be almost as accurate as a good bolt action. Some comps are hard to shoot with anything other than a semi.

Personally I wouldn't rule out 2nd hand if you know what you're looking at or know someone who does. 

I've not known problems with subsonic target rounds but have seen people struggle with hollow point subs. Also high spec match barrels might look good but often need match grade ammo or they can be prone to jams due to narrow chambers.

I would check over a new gun carefully as I've seen a a few where the stock to receiver fit isn't great and I didnt like the plastic trigger housing either.

One thing to watch out for is dirt around the chamber, 22 can be a dirty round and you often get a bit of build up which hampers cycling.

I bought a new one only 6 months ago and i love it .

I’ve had bunny’s 20-100 yards . 5 for 6 shots so far .

squirrels at 20 yards have really suffered . I’ve had 25+ off one feeder.

I love how light it is with the plastic stock . 

I’ve a Brno mod 2 as well and that’s stayed in the cabinet since I’ve had this . 
I’ve no mods and it’s fine . I’ve had 5-6 jams possibly but that’s semi autos . 

On 20/09/2023 at 19:49, Windswept said:

There's a big range of 10/22s so I wouldn't rule out shooting past 25m. I shoot a lot of gallery rifle comps and many of them have 50m stages. They can be almost as accurate as a good bolt action. Some comps are hard to shoot with anything other than a semi.

Personally I wouldn't rule out 2nd hand if you know what you're looking at or know someone who does. 

I've not known problems with subsonic target rounds but have seen people struggle with hollow point subs. Also high spec match barrels might look good but often need match grade ammo or they can be prone to jams due to narrow chambers.

I would check over a new gun carefully as I've seen a a few where the stock to receiver fit isn't great and I didnt like the plastic trigger housing either.

One thing to watch out for is dirt around the chamber, 22 can be a dirty round and you often get a bit of build up which hampers cycling.

Thanks for the advice. It’s much appreciated esythe bit about the stock to receiver fit. 

Regards Russ

On 20/09/2023 at 22:17, team tractor said:

I bought a new one only 6 months ago and i love it .

I’ve had bunny’s 20-100 yards . 5 for 6 shots so far .

squirrels at 20 yards have really suffered . I’ve had 25+ off one feeder.

I love how light it is with the plastic stock . 

I’ve a Brno mod 2 as well and that’s stayed in the cabinet since I’ve had this . 
I’ve no mods and it’s fine . I’ve had 5-6 jams possibly but that’s semi autos . 

I’ll be using mine for squirrels on a feeder so your reply was very helpful. 

Do you use a high seat? Any advice on back stops would be helpful. 

Regards Russ. 

3 hours ago, hatter said:

Thanks for the advice. It’s much appreciated esythe bit about the stock to receiver fit. 

Regards Russ

I’ll be using mine for squirrels on a feeder so your reply was very helpful. 

Do you use a high seat? Any advice on back stops would be helpful. 

Regards Russ. 

It’s from a high seat I made . It’s in a woods so all shots are lost in the mud tbf . 
I’ve had to shoot some twice to drop them . Hard little ******* 

I buy a sack of grain and fill my feeders up . Once a week . I use trail cameras all the time . Once I see lots I hammer them . 

Unless you are going for a £100 Ruger 10/22 and are looking forward to tweeking it, I would buy a secondhand Rimfire Magic or a Volquartsen, if only for the greatly improved trigger and much slicker action, which makes a big difference to accuracy and reliability. If you are used to the refinement of a bolt action, even the best semi's seem quite agricultural. I think its a bit hit and miss with factory 10/22's, if you get a good one or not. You can pick up some real bargains with custom builds, if you are patient, especially with the Volquartsens. Ammo choice and good condition magazines make a big difference.

Edited by morgan

8 hours ago, morgan said:

Ammo choice and good condition magazines make a big difference.

Ammo choice can be critical if you don't want to fire single shots. Mine prefers 42grain Eley subs.

As for magazines, as long as they are cleaned and lightly oiled even cheap brands like Eagle at £10 are ok. Just must be clean.

On 20/09/2023 at 19:49, Windswept said:

Totally agree with what Windswept said. I got a second hand bog standard 10/22 some years ago, put a scope on it and shot gallery rifle at club. For rabbits/pest control I use a CZ bolt gun.

On 26/09/2023 at 19:21, team tractor said:

It’s from a high seat I made . It’s in a woods so all shots are lost in the mud tbf . 
I’ve had to shoot some twice to drop them . Hard little ******* 

I buy a sack of grain and fill my feeders up . Once a week . I use trail cameras all the time . Once I see lots I hammer them . 

Thanks for the advice. My shooting will be from a high seat as well. 

Have you tried peanuts in your feeder? 

On 27/09/2023 at 16:13, MAB1954 said:

Totally agree with what Windswept said. I got a second hand bog standard 10/22 some years ago, put a scope on it and shot gallery rifle at club. For rabbits/pest control I use a CZ bolt gun.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I don’t think you will find a better vermin gun than a CZ bolt action 22. 

On 27/09/2023 at 12:14, dessyb said:

trigger lets them down. other than that decent

I’ll definitely be upgrading the trigger. 

Regards Russ

On 27/09/2023 at 07:35, Scully said:

Not sure about stick mag’s, but the rotary mag’ in my Magnum was only an issue once when it started binding and failing to feed. 
Released the hex screw, a good spray with WD40, gave it a good rattle, allowed it to dry, tweaked it back up and it was never an issue again. 👍

Thanks for replying to my question. It’s much appreciated 👍😊

On 27/09/2023 at 07:29, Centrepin said:

Ammo choice can be critical if you don't want to fire single shots. Mine prefers 42grain Eley subs.

As for magazines, as long as they are cleaned and lightly oiled even cheap brands like Eagle at £10 are ok. Just must be clean.

I agree that the choice of ammo is critical with a semi auto. Thanks for the advice about the Eley subs. 

On 26/09/2023 at 23:03, morgan said:

Unless you are going for a £100 Ruger 10/22 and are looking forward to tweeking it, I would buy a secondhand Rimfire Magic or a Volquartsen, if only for the greatly improved trigger and much slicker action, which makes a big difference to accuracy and reliability. If you are used to the refinement of a bolt action, even the best semi's seem quite agricultural. I think its a bit hit and miss with factory 10/22's, if you get a good one or not. You can pick up some real bargains with custom builds, if you are patient, especially with the Volquartsens. Ammo choice and good condition magazines make a big difference.

Thank you for all the good advice in your reply it’s very much appreciated. I’m keeping an eye on Guntrader for 10/22s. 

Regards. Russ