Ring barked sapling

Scully

Right, I’ve googled this but wondered if anyone had real experience of repairing/saving a ring barked tree. 
The tree in question is a two year old sapling of a rare ( as yet unidentified ) apple tree. 
OH’s mother contracted some blokes in to clear the paddock ( despite us saying we can do it for free! ) and one of them has strimmed my apple tree! 
The damage is just on one side of the inch thick base, so not completely ringed right round, and I’ve heard they can survive if the ring isn’t complete.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

It should survive if the damage is only as you say, the bark will eventually close the gap/wound, you can paint it with pruning paste but there as been a rethink on using such sealers on wounds, some experts say it can inhibit the trees nature healing process, I use it when pruning my fruit trees and it seems to do the job.

There is the slight chance with open wounds of the tree getting canker.

if its not completley all the way round then its not technically girdled chances of survival/ effects depend on level of cambium stripped. if its 50/50 thats plenty enough for it to survive and with the tree now about to enter its dormant stage id just leave it and put some kind of guard around it until its big enough that it wont get bothered

you can graft bark from other parts of the tree onto the effected area and then wrap it in cling film for the winter to keep disease out but chances of that working are probably not worth the effort

if its that centimental to you wait until january and cut a half dozen foot long ends off  and put them in damp sawdust until march, if the callous has formed the stick is still alive, bang them in some peat soil in pots for a year then bang them into the garden the following march. out of 6 youll probably get 1 or 2 to root.

also a free app caled  picturethis will identify the type of apple tree it is with a photo. and give you a tonne of info on what its crack is.

Edited by Sweet11-87

Thanks all; that’s grand! Very much appreciated. 
I’ll have a gander at the app, but some of the best ‘apple’ brains in the country have been baffled by its identity. 
It was growing in the garden of a house I bought 26 years ago, and the kids and me would harvest the cookers it produced each year.
The mother of a mate ( on whose land we have a rough shoot ) and I would press the apples each year, along with many other types for cider and cider vinegar. She is known locally as ‘the apple lady’, and is a recognised authority nationally regards apples. She couldn’t identify them so put it out to her contacts, none of whom have been able to identify it. 🤷‍♂️

Anyhow, when I moved she took some grafts and planted some in her orchard, and grafted two for me. I’d hate to see even one of them die. 
Thanks again. 👍

If it has any material that would be pruned this winter you could take cuttings or even try grafting some more.

I've had some heavily damaged apple trees survive deer damage removing about half the bark so yours could be fine. 

It might be worth protecting the base of this one and the other one with chicken wire.

As for variety, the original tree could have been a self sown one so one of a kind. I've got a couple of trees here I've grafted from unknown trees that have produced good apples in previous homes.

as others have said..im sure it will be fine.............the pressure and the sap is starting to fall now...might have been different if the sap was rising...........might be an idea to wrap something around it ..over the winter:good:

Edited by ditchman