Isle of Harris

Velocette

Just had a week up there walking and scouting for photo locations on the coast for Mrs V's current interest in ICM wave pictures. Not a bad drive from here really, about 400 miles/9 hours in scenery that its been over 10 years since we last saw. Its quite a place . The house we had at Seilebost was right on the shore, opposite Luskintyre beach with spectacular sunrises and sunsets over the water. A few miles up the road was Sgarasta Mhor beach with its huge rollers running in over the sandbar and not a living soul in sight. The 15 miles of single track out to Hushinish was alarmingly narrow with completely blind rises in the road every now and then just to keep things interesting, ending with another brisk, up and down, coastal walk opposite Scarp lead to another long beach with more crested rollers. Probably the only place we went  with people to speak to was to the couple who run lighthouse at Eileen Glas who were quite delightful. A fantastic, slightly decaying place with enough rusty machinery to keep the most avid creative photographer busy. All in all a spectacular place which we will be revisiting next April and September. As an aside, I wish I still had my Ducati as the road from Tarbet to Stornoway is the finest motorcycling road I've ever seen. 

Pictures to follow.

1 hour ago, Velocette said:

Just had a week up there walking and scouting for photo locations on the coast for Mrs V's current interest in ICM wave pictures. Not a bad drive from here really, about 400 miles/9 hours in scenery that its been over 10 years since we last saw. Its quite a place . The house we had at Seilebost was right on the shore, opposite Luskintyre beach with spectacular sunrises and sunsets over the water. A few miles up the road was Sgarasta Mhor beach with its huge rollers running in over the sandbar and not a living soul in sight. The 15 miles of single track out to Hushinish was alarmingly narrow with completely blind rises in the road every now and then just to keep things interesting, ending with another brisk, up and down, coastal walk opposite Scarp lead to another long beach with more crested rollers. Probably the only place we went  with people to speak to was to the couple who run lighthouse at Eileen Glas who were quite delightful. A fantastic, slightly decaying place with enough rusty machinery to keep the most avid creative photographer busy. All in all a spectacular place which we will be revisiting next April and September. As an aside, I wish I still had my Ducati as the road from Tarbet to Stornoway is the finest motorcycling road I've ever seen. 

Pictures to follow.

Just in from fishing Scarista beach😄 got a decent flounder and a small turbot, agree about the road to Stornoway, a pleasure to drive even in my CRV.. I live in Northton, heres a view you will recognise

855752221_thumbnail(21).jpg.1719841334dda3d81958aec9b5e82249.jpg

Edited by islandgun

Me and SWMBO are currently on Arran. We have been unbelievably lucky with the wildlife so far, golden eagle's, hen harriers, otters, red squirrels and pods of dolphin but I have a real desire to visit Lewis and Harris some day. My other half is also into the photography so I will look out for the places you mention. Cheers Tim

20 hours ago, islandgun said:

Just in from fishing Scarista beach😄 got a decent flounder and a small turbot, agree about the road to Stornoway, a pleasure to drive even in my CRV.. I live in Northton, heres a view you will recognise

855752221_thumbnail(21).jpg.1719841334dda3d81958aec9b5e82249.jpg

Fancy opening your curtains each morning and seeing an eyesore like that staring at you :lol:

Looks incredible I G , have the so called global climate made any difference to the amount of snow staying on the hills / mountains ?

21 hours ago, London Best said:

Go John, before it is too late. You will not regret it.

You are 100% correct L B , I would not regret it , but the drive up there would be to much for me nowadays , when I went up the west side of Scotland we ended up just above Inverness then we had to make our back to Crieff to go to the C L A Game Fair , time we got back home I had done around 1200 miles , that was in a week and we did take some of the scenic routes around the lochs , my wife had gone up there a few times since then with her friends on coach trips and the trip normally take the coach 12 hours which would leave me that stiff I wouldnt be able to get off when we finally got there , so maybe I have left it too late , but who knows ? :good:

1 hour ago, Bigbob said:

Keep posting the picts , i am reading Peter Mays Lewis mans trilogy and its great comparing the map to the picts 

My house and croft is the one right of centre [with the brown willows and poly tunnel] going down to the saltings, sound of Harris in the background 

1490824396_northtondrone.jpg.97746bca69216785a10cf360b5f5d7ea.jpg

14 hours ago, marsh man said:

Far to crowded I G :lol: , What facilities such as shops , pubs , medical  have you got on the esland ?

We have all the stuff you mention although nearest supermarket is 65 miles away, I usually go to town [Stornoway] every couple of weeks. B&Q are a ferry and night away.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

They did have two wood pigeons on the island a few years ago. :)

Saw three eagles yesterday and a woodpigeon in 2021, it was feeding on watercress in my wetland area.