What is this thing?

walshie

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

is it a skeleton of some sort of harness...that would have been surrounded by packing andleather...im looking at the front curved bit that maybe goes over the neck of the horse...!!!

That was my thought too ditchy. The shaped neck piece would fit as would the bar to keep the harness off the  neck?

9 minutes ago, old man said:

That was my thought too ditchy. The shaped neck piece would fit as would the bar to keep the harness off the  neck?

we better find out sooner or later ....im startingto lose sleep over this one..............errr what about asking the farmer ?

3 hours ago, walshie said:

I live in Wales. I'll do it now in a minute. 

Simon - it's my field so no-one to ask. 

there is a website you can use which carries a store of old maps going back 2-300 years......the place in question may be on a map ....

Walshie, how high are your knees?  And, is the 3feet wide part the width with the bar tacked onto the tubing that then bends down to the hinges?.  Also lastly, is it a bit of angle iron that is tacked on to the tubing?  I'm not at the stage of ditchie not being able to sleep but the cogs are moving in my head.🥴

Pushkin.

22 hours ago, ditchman said:

is it a skeleton of some sort of harness...that would have been surrounded by packing andleather...im looking at the front curved bit that maybe goes over the neck of the horse...!!!

We've got heavy horses [Suffolk Punch] and more harness and stuff to shake several sticks at but that gizmo in the ground is not something that rings bells with me. That thing looks a DIY farm mashup out of a bent bit of rebar or two and a plate from something else roughly tack welded on. 

4 hours ago, Pushkin said:

Walshie, how high are your knees?  And, is the 3feet wide part the width with the bar tacked onto the tubing that then bends down to the hinges?.  Also lastly, is it a bit of angle iron that is tacked on to the tubing?  I'm not at the stage of ditchie not being able to sleep but the cogs are moving in my head.🥴

Pushkin.

About 2ft. The 3ft is the width between the verticals. Yes the angle iron is tacked on. I'll get the actual measurements tomorrow. 

13 hours ago, Miserableolgit said:

We've got heavy horses [Suffolk Punch] and more harness and stuff to shake several sticks at but that gizmo in the ground is not something that rings bells with me. That thing looks a DIY farm mashup out of a bent bit of rebar or two and a plate from something else roughly tack welded on. 

What about canal barge horse towing kit?

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

The remains of an old topper mower? Looks like something that could go on the back of a tractor

Looking like it.👍

31 minutes ago, ditchman said:

give it a clean ..please

can i see a 3 point linkage mounting point ?

Dig this up. Measure that. Clean this. 😄Yes, it certainly looks like it.

22 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

Certainly looks like it went on a tractor three point linkage.

download.jpg.865c5eec2130352de6ff41e23404cca5.jpg

I think we have a winner. Wish I hadn't dug it up now...

7 hours ago, old man said:

What about canal barge horse towing kit?

No, they usually use a traditional collar formed from long rye grass, lined with check cloth and faced with leather with 'hames' that incorporate hooks that take the means of pulling the vessel. These are supported halfway down the body of the animal by leather straps that run from the crupper strap that fits under the horses tail at the rear and collar at the neck. The idea is that the pull [or angle of draft] is as straight as possible and everything has to be kind to the horse. All very similar to plough or cart harness. Breast harness does not use a collar but instead uses a wide strap that fits around then front or the animal's chest and the pull [or rather the horse pushes with both collar and breast harness].

I'm not sure I explained all that very well but having seen the subsequent photos of more of the contraption I am of a mind that it is the remains of some redundant bit of agricultural implement like the frame of a topper, old mower or some such.