New Beretta 686 Silver Pig Vs used 682 Gold E

thompsn00

Having recently decided to purchase a Beretta over and under I'm stuck between two guns.

A 2008 used 682 Gold E at a used price of circa £1600 with extended chokes, case etc in good condition.

Or a brand new 686 Silver Pigeon sporter for the same price. Both 30 inch barrels. I understand that the Gold E was a high priced and much better specced gun on release.

Both fit me well. The Gold E has nice wood but I do like the patterned engraving on the silver pig and the fact GMK offer a 10yr warranty for £60.

Any wise words of advice?

1 hour ago, ninjaferret said:

Buy a Caesar Guerini a lot more gun for the money.

Or a K80 lot more money for the gun. 

back to the OPs original question, I’d personally go with the Gold E if it’s in good order and you’re looking at shooting predominantly clays. Both capable guns but the Gold E is a clay muncher, well designed and solid reliability. Shoot them both and see what fits best for you and your discipline. 

Go for the Gold E.This was a spectacularly good gun in its time and has won a plethora of international competitions.As a second hand example £1600 is way too high in  the current market-just look at this model on Guntrader for a price guide.Should you be a left handed shooter I have one that is available for sale.regards Richard.

gold E

recently picked up a 1993 s686 special and i love it. thought it was just a silver pigeon before they were called so, but got my hands on a new SP and honestly i feel mine is a bit more gun. SP still  great guns but beretta are obviously keeping the price competative and profitable so little things had to give.

2008 is nothing for a looked after quality gun. and id say it will be the better built gun. a decade or 2 down the line and the gold E will probably be worth twice the SP

Edited by Sweet11-87

As I’ve said many a time, with a few exceptions I’m not a Beretta OU fan, but once bought a 682 SuperSport simply because of its very dark wood, plain black action and very short ported barrels.
It was a great bolting bunny tool but it slapped my cheek bone ( they all do ) so had to go. 
With hindsight I should have had the stock altered and kept it, it was a beauty. 
Buy a 682, a much more desirable bit of kit in my opinion. 

Thanks, there's a similarly priced 692 locally also. I think the only real thing that put me off the 682 was knowing it's a 2008 gun so has probably had thousands of cartridges through it already. I was thinking of longevity. New B525 sporters currently similar prices and £200 cash back so come in cheap. They just didn't look as nice as the Beretta and feel a touch slower. I know I've heard a lot of people liking one brand only Miroku/Browning or the Beretta's. I went to look at both and liked both. Just leant towards the Beretta having had Beretta Semi Autos and shooting well with them previously.

Lots of food for thought

42 minutes ago, thompsn00 said:

Thanks, there's a similarly priced 692 locally also. I think the only real thing that put me off the 682 was knowing it's a 2008 gun so has probably had thousands of cartridges through it already. I was thinking of longevity. New B525 sporters currently similar prices and £200 cash back so come in cheap. They just didn't look as nice as the Beretta and feel a touch slower. I know I've heard a lot of people liking one brand only Miroku/Browning or the Beretta's. I went to look at both and liked both. Just leant towards the Beretta having had Beretta Semi Autos and shooting well with them previously.

Lots of food for thought

the conical locking pins/bars are made this way to account for this they just self adjust so it stays tight. aparently you can aslo get oversized hinge lugs for when they start to show wear never heard of anyone needing them.. but honestly id probably not have an issue with it at 15 years old even if id did 100+ clays a weekend since new. theyre pretty robust guns.  get a hold of it  youll feel if its tight and solid

I once owned a Gold E sporter. Lovely guns in many respects. I just couldn’t get away with the thick comb. Probably just a personal gun fitting thing. I really liked the handling dynamics. It was well balanced. If it fits you (and I mean properly) then I would definitely go for the Gold E. They were very well made. 

• 1 month later...