Fury v Ngannou

Gordon R

Just watched this. Fury won by split decision, despite being knocked down in round three. I genuinely thought Fury would make short work of Ngannou, but the lad fought a decent fight. Fury seemed to do little to earn the victory and I was shocked he got the verdict. He looked ring rusty and nothing like his normal self.

I listened to it on possibly the same US commentary stream as others. 
Radio 5 didn’t run it and talk sport - don’t get me started. Literally just a load of lads having a mothers meeting, there was no actual commentary. 

I wonder if it was a licensing thing? 

either way fury sounded as if he was struggling (even with the slightest commentary bias) 

I did have a couple of quid on duty to go over twice. 

Fury clearly hasn't prepared properly and took the fight too lightly.

I also believe the phisicality and toughness of ngannou caused him problems, (he might be new to boxing, but certainly not fighting, I also don't believe he's as new to boxing as his claims, he's obviously trained hard at parts of it as a part of his mma career), coupling all that with Mike tyson training him, who is very familiar with tyson fury's style and who also would make a very talented coach and there's the result. Still a very impressive fight for Ngannou none the less. He clearly has potential in boxing if he wants it.

6 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis believed Tyson won, but I remain unconvinced. I still think he will thrash Usyk, who is too small and doesn't punch hard enough.

Fury as never been a muscular man but he looked to be carrying a few extra pounds around the middle, he did not look as sharp as some of his other fights but he did land more point scoring punches, I thought Ngannou looked as though he had run out of ideas in some of the rounds and his attacks looked messy, he did not do enough to take the title so I tend to agree with Tyson and Lewis but only just.

On 29/10/2023 at 09:44, walshie said:

A split decision against a man in his first pro boxing match is pathetic. Next stop Usyk, unless he can find another excuse to dodge him. 

Looks like the fight's off. Surprise surprise. Maybe we can look forward to Fury Chisora 4 instead. Fury really is a joke. 

I'm convinced mike tysons influence in Ngannous training has had a huge affect. He was after all the master of fighting taller opponents and an expert in timing. Ngannou already having trained in boxing an being an exceptionally tough, strong and resilient fighter already, coupled with Mike Tysons input and his expert Knowledge of Fury's fighting style (he's watched him closely over the years being named after him and Fury becoming world champion). Fury despite claiming the counterary clearly didn't take him seriously enough.

On 29/10/2023 at 00:46, shaun4860 said:

I didn’t see it but listened to some of the commentary from some American bloke till I got fed up of his voice.

From what I heard Ngannou was robbed 🤷🏻‍♂️

I watched the fight with some mates and fury even mouthed something like "you've won this" after the last bell.. he thought he'd lost .. and to be fair ngannou fought a good fight.. fury looked rusty and out of shape.

14 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Where have you seen that, I can't find anything.

https://proboxtv.com/news/frank-warren-rules-out-december-23-for-fury-usyk/en

https://www.sportinglife.com/boxing/news/tyson-fury-v-oleksandr-usyk-may-not-take-place-on-december-23-following-the-gypsy-kings-bruising-battle-with-francis-ngannou/213386

Pushing it back a couple of months will give him time to find a new reason not to fight at all. 

10 hours ago, walshie said:

To be fair, after that performance, I'd put it back to. Fury hasn't been in proper fighting shape since the wilder 2 fight. This will be a wake up call for him.

42 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Boxing politics That guy beat Fury but there was no way they were going to give a MMA fighter the decision Fury v Usyk Saudi Arabia is being lined up For a lot of money 💰 

Alot of people saying that at the moment, I've watched the fight and Im firmly of the opinion Fury won, he landed more scoring blows and as the man with the belt, even if it'd been closer, it still wouldn't have been enough to take it from him.

4 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

To be fair, after that performance, I'd put it back to. Fury hasn't been in proper fighting shape since the wilder 2 fight. This will be a wake up call for him.

Alot of people saying that at the moment, I've watched the fight and Im firmly of the opinion Fury won, he landed more scoring blows and as the man with the belt, even if it'd been closer, it still wouldn't have been enough to take it from him.

I also watched it hoping fury would knock him out but that guy in my opinion won the 1st 6 rounds It was embarrassing for boxing 🥊 

Just now, Gerry78 said:

I also watched it hoping fury would knock him out but that guy in my opinion won the 1st 6 rounds It was embarrassing for boxing 🥊 

Ngannou certainly lost the later rounds and I wouldn't agree he won the first six. I totally agree it was embarrassing for boxing, but then I posted in my earlier posts the reasons I believe Fury performed so badly. Either way, I'm looking forwards to seeing fury vs Usyk and what Ngannou can do next. The way I see it, the more talent and uncertainty in boxing the better, so long as we can see them get in the ring together.

9 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Ngannou certainly lost the later rounds and I wouldn't agree he won the first six. I totally agree it was embarrassing for boxing, but then I posted in my earlier posts the reasons I believe Fury performed so badly. Either way, I'm looking forwards to seeing fury vs Usyk and what Ngannou can do next. The way I see it, the more talent and uncertainty in boxing the better, so long as we can see them get in the ring together.

Listening to the boxing commentary after the fight I think they were scared to say fury lost the fight they also had Ngannou winning the first 6 not to mention the 3rd round knock down but it’s just people’s opinions I agree fury didn’t perform and he also didn’t look in shape compared to the Wilder fight I think we can both agree the heavyweight division a shadow of its former self Mike Tyson Lennox Lewis Frank Bruno Holyfield etc