Best 12b cleaning kit

Acerforestry

I would seek out some aluminium rods, attach a brass split jag to one and a 'Payne Galway' brass/bronze brush to the other, then leave them assembled. I store mine in a plastic fishing rod tube picked up at a car boot. I have several 2, 3 and 4 piece wood rods and every set wobble at the ferrules where the wood has shrunk. It does not happen with aluminium rods. Gt 85 at under £2 from Aldi, does a good job on cleaning the barrels, but if you use a decent cartridge and store them correctly, they shouldn't be that dirty anyway. I find that once through with the bronze brush, followed by 3 pieces of bog roll, folded lengthways then put into the split jag, through the barrels, is enough. I have a microfiber cloth soaked in some GTX car engine oil makes a great 'oily rag' for wiping down the metalwork. I only remove the chokes after every 3 or 4 outings, clean them re apply some Lucas gun oil. Clean the hinge pin, then apply some decent grease. Job done. I carry a tin of spray 3 in 1 oil in my car, I also have a roll of kitchen towel hanging from the rear seat headrest, into the boot area. IF it is raining, I remove the forend, spray the barrels with 3 in 1, wipe off with the kitchen towel. Remember,  lubricants do not require the word 'gun' in their title, to be effective. 

Sorry to be late to the party, I have been using the Paradox Cleaning Rods for a long time since winning one from John Bidwell years ago.

A squirt of oil down the bore and quick work through with the full length rod and it comes up gleaming.

Have bought and given a fair few as gifts too.

paradox.jpg

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Spellage!

13 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Sorry to be late to the party, I have been using the Paradox Cleaning Rods for a long time since winning one from John Bidwell years ago.

A squirt of oil down the bore and quick work through with the full length rod and it comes up gleaming.

Have bought and given a fair few as gifts too.

paradox.jpg

Never seen those before, I'll do some research.

I'd go along with Westley or Dave at Kelton with the addition of I use a bore snake as well, and clean my gun after every outing even if only fired 1 or 2 cartridges or nil. I loosen and tighten my chokes every time but only regrease on a full deep clean which depends on use but approx once a month.

Another tip is keep a second slip in the car and if your main slip gets soaked, use the spare on the way home.

On 30/10/2023 at 23:26, Westley said:

I would seek out some aluminium rods, attach a brass split jag to one and a 'Payne Galway' brass/bronze brush to the other, then leave them assembled. I store mine in a plastic fishing rod tube picked up at a car boot. I have several 2, 3 and 4 piece wood rods and every set wobble at the ferrules where the wood has shrunk. It does not happen with aluminium rods. Gt 85 at under £2 from Aldi, does a good job on cleaning the barrels, but if you use a decent cartridge and store them correctly, they shouldn't be that dirty anyway. I find that once through with the bronze brush, followed by 3 pieces of bog roll, folded lengthways then put into the split jag, through the barrels, is enough. I have a microfiber cloth soaked in some GTX car engine oil makes a great 'oily rag' for wiping down the metalwork. I only remove the chokes after every 3 or 4 outings, clean them re apply some Lucas gun oil. Clean the hinge pin, then apply some decent grease. Job done. I carry a tin of spray 3 in 1 oil in my car, I also have a roll of kitchen towel hanging from the rear seat headrest, into the boot area. IF it is raining, I remove the forend, spray the barrels with 3 in 1, wipe off with the kitchen towel. Remember,  lubricants do not require the word 'gun' in their title, to be effective. 

Despite posting pics of a rather smart cleaning kit above, I actually do much the same as you.  I have a large (WW1 naval?) brass shell case that was once used I believe as an umbrella stand with several cleaning rods in it.  One with no end fitted for pushing through bog roll. One with a jag and a bit of 4 x 2, one with a Payne Galway Pattern brass brush (stored covered by a copper tube made from water pipe), one with a fibre brush (for oiling) and one with a woolly mop (also stored covered).  As a cleaner I use Young's 303, which is nowhere near as good as it once was, and ordinary motor oil/grease for the moving parts.  On guns infrequently used, I do wipe the metalwork over with a cloth with some Rangoon oil and store the guns in 'socks' in a cabinet in which I have a VP90 sachet changed annually.

Adding the word 'gun' to an oil name just up's the price.  Guns do not give their moving surfaces a 'hard life' compared to a car engine or gearbox.  I have heard that ATF/Dexron is a very good lubricant.

6F270B79-B2D3-4BE0-B744-D9ECB4F465CA_1_201_a.jpeg

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

Greenfields - need check it was £18 Or £14 , need to check

I bought a can of 'Winchester' all purpose gun oil off the bay for £10. It won't let me post a pic cos it's 'too big'   I have tried standing the can at the bottom of the garden and re taking the pic.......that didn't work either  !

Edited by Westley

55 minutes ago, Westley said:

I bought a can of 'Winchester' all purpose gun oil off the bay for £10. It won't let me post a pic cos it's 'too big'   I have tried standing the can at the bottom of the garden and re taking the pic.......that didn't work either  !

Think there on a Amazon also… will buy a couple of cans