Lord Cameron

Weihrauch17

There's something very wrong with our political system when, a prime minister can hold a referendum they think they can fix by scaring the electorate into voting the way they want. When the people see through the lies and vote the opposite way, he throws his toys out the pram and disappears leaving the country in an awful mess with no planning completed for a leave outcome. To then be allowed to waltz back into politics with his peerage as if nothing happened is outrageous, I see Cameron as little better than Tony Blair and that's saying something.

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

There's something very wrong with our political system when, a prime minister can hold a referendum they think they can fix by scaring the electorate into voting the way they want. When the people see through the lies and vote the opposite way, he throws his toys out the pram and disappears leaving the country in an awful mess with no planning completed for a leave outcome. To then be allowed to waltz back into politics with his peerage as if nothing happened is outrageous, I see Cameron as little better than Tony Blair and that's saying something.

Nail on the head. Cameron is responsible for the anti-democratic **** show that has ensued since the referendum, he had no intention of us leaving the EU, along with most of the piggies at the trough.

quite shocked as to his recall to high office...........an anti-brexit lobby is now gaining momentum................traitorous scum....going against the will of the people....

i know Farage is a marmite thing.....but he has been cut off from the world in "get me out of here"......when he comes out and what has been going on HE WILL HAVE A BLOODY FIT :lol:

im not too bothered about any of it really ....as all this politics is going right down the pan to the bottom of the sewers ...and its approaching the time when the people of this country will say "Enough"......................time for a reset that befits the modern world........

I agree with all that's been said, however, my thoughts are that our assistance of Ukraine maintains a handy buffer from Russia's moves to enlarge themselves again. Their threat is likely much more than many of us realise.

It's also nothing new - we were intending to that before he came.

Edited by Dave-G

I also cannot understand Cameron being brought back into the Government, unless its a peace sign to the Tory Right after Braverman's sacking.
Sunak may have seriously damaged his credibility by doing this.

However, DaveG is right, the assistance he has pledged to the Ukraine was already on the table, so its nothing new.

45 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I agree with all that's been said, however, my thoughts are that our assistance of Ukraine maintains a handy buffer from Russia's moves to enlarge themselves again. Their threat is likely much more than many of us realise.

It's also nothing new - we were intending to that before he came.

He wasn't meaning aid for Ukraine.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2023/nov/18/david-cameron-wants-to-unlock-billions-of-dollars-for-foreign-aid

13 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

This smacks of someone looking to grandstand on the world stage, with other people's money, easy being charitable when you don't have to pay for it.

Back in 2016, Cameron wanted the international community to provide more support for education of Syria’s children, encouraging them to stay in that region rather than flocking to Europe.  

"A generation of refugees left out of school means a generation of young adults not only unable to get work but also more vulnerable to extremism and radicalisation,” Cameron warns.   Unless the international community does more to help the countries on the border of Syria, he warns, hundreds of thousands of Syrians will continue to “fear they have no alternative but to put their lives in the hands of evil people-smugglers and risk the prospect of freezing to death in the Balkans or drowning in the waters of the Aegean in search of a future."

I am not a great fan of his, but I do think he was correct on that point.

10 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

This is what really really annoys me about the entire sorry affair. 
If that had been you or me in the real world, we would have either been made to put it right or sacked. Cameron simply threw his arms up in the air and said ‘**** you then, I’ll just go and get on with the rest of my life without suffering any consequences whatsoever’.  
There is something seriously seriously wrong with politics in this country when this is allowed to happen. 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

This is what really really annoys me about the entire sorry affair. 
If that had been you or me in the real world, we would have either been made to put it right or sacked. Cameron simply threw his arms up in the air and said ‘**** you then, I’ll just go and get on with the rest of my life without suffering any consequences whatsoever’.  
There is something seriously seriously wrong with politics in this country when this is allowed to happen. 

Couldn't agree more 👍

14 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

See through the lies? It wasn’t quite as bad as we were told but it’s hardly been a roaring success. 

Once again I have to say that Brexit has been nothing short of a shambles. 

Where’s all the benefits and trade deals that were promised etc? 

We are also still unable to control our own borders. 

5 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

See through the lies? It wasn’t quite as bad as we were told but it’s hardly been a roaring success. 

It was no where near as bad as we were told, despite remainers attempting to sabotage brexit at every turn.

The rest of your points, there's a simple answer, our Politicians did not want us to leave and have kept us aligned with EU rules, we virtually never left.

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Simply there is no political Will to leave the EU properly and reap the benefits, that's both with our polititians and the civil (dis)service. It means they have to actually do their jobs.

In short Brexit has not been delivered or the opportunites seized.

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

In short Brexit has not been  delivered or the opportunites seized.

What specific opportunities do you think are out there?

What I never properly considered is that nobody is going to want to jeopardise a lucrative trade deal with their biggest customer (the EU) by signing a deal with the UK. If you were running a business you wouldn’t upset your biggest customer by supplying their rival unless their rival was worth more.

Did anyone hear about the trade agreement signed with Florida last week? It’s not worth the paper it’s written on. It says, “This is not an agreement to transact and neither party is committed to buying anything!”. The fact that this tosh is being promoted by Kemi Badenoch just shows what little Brexit benefits there are to shout about.

So again… what opportunities actually exist for us out of the EU?

*I voted Leave and wish I hadn’t. @Lloyd90 is right, Brexit has been a shambles. What I’m confused by is the couple of mentions about the lies from the Remain camp… the Leave campaign was far more misleading. Where are the trade deals? Where is the £350m each week we have saved? 

Edited by Munzy

2 hours ago, Munzy said:

What specific opportunities do you think are out there?

What I never properly considered is that nobody is going to want to jeopardise a lucrative trade deal with their biggest customer (the EU) by signing a deal with the UK. If you were running a business you wouldn’t upset your biggest customer by supplying their rival unless their rival was worth more.

Did anyone hear about the trade agreement signed with Florida last week? It’s not worth the paper it’s written on. It says, “This is not an agreement to transact and neither party is committed to buying anything!”. The fact that this tosh is being promoted by Kemi Badenoch just shows what little Brexit benefits there are to shout about.

So again… what opportunities actually exist for us out of the EU?

*I voted Leave and wish I hadn’t. @Lloyd90 is right, Brexit has been a shambles. What I’m confused by is the couple of mentions about the lies from the Remain camp… the Leave campaign was far more misleading. Where are the trade deals? Where is the £350m each week we have saved? 

What has happened that is so bad since we left?

Why do you think the only place to trade is with the EU, "what opportunitys exist outside the EU" seriously? there's a whole world out there, the EU trade block is shrinking while others are growing. Why should we attach ourselves to a sinking stone?

As for your reasons for voting to leave, that's up to you, I voted predominantly because I want to be a sovereign nation again and not dictated to by unelected foreign leaders who have nothing to do with us, even if that meant some damage to our economy, so do most others I know, perhaps you should have thought more carefully before putting your X in the leave box, it's not like the government didn't warn you with the leaflet predicting everything including ww3 if you voted to leave, you must have thought they were lying at the time to, or no sane person would have voted to leave.