Possession of 12g Shot Cartridges

MarcG

Some advise please.

I am an FAC Section 1 shotgun holder.  Normally shooting Slugs.  My licence only give permission to but 12g Slugs not Shot.  I do not have a shotgun licence.

I have in the past shot with a friend and ended up with some 12g shot ammo in my possession.   Is this an offence ?

4 hours ago, MarcG said:

Some advise please.

I am an FAC Section 1 shotgun holder.  Normally shooting Slugs.  My licence only give permission to but 12g Slugs not Shot.  I do not have a shotgun licence.

I have in the past shot with a friend and ended up with some 12g shot ammo in my possession.   Is this an offence ?

Best speak to your local Firearms Dep't but do not mention your second bullet point. Some of the larger shot sizes are also FAC rated.

2 hours ago, Robden said:

Thought you needed a license/cert to buy cartridges, but not to possess them.

That’s what I thought too. Gunshops always ask to see your SGC. 

Also, advertisers on here always request sight of a SGC when buying cartridges.

Does Scully know something we don’t?

OB

49 minutes ago, Windswept said:

Apart from slugs, what else would be FAC only in a 12g?

I think I'm right in saying that it is the very much larger sizes. As it's bigger than 6&1/2s, I don't need to know and am no longer sure. Something around LG (0.36") and less than 5 to the ounce (or perhaps 5 in total). Suffice to say, for this legal type query, 'Bert on Pigeon watch said' doesn't cut the mustard hence my last.

EDIT Not sure about the "only in a 12g", though.

Edited by wymberley

7 hours ago, Robden said:

Thought you needed a license/cert to buy cartridges, but not to possess them.

What I mean is they don’t go down on your ticket as they do for S1 rifle ammo. 
Most places ask to see your SGC when buying cartridges, but there are places - becoming less common admittedly- where they don’t bother. 

21 minutes ago, .357shooter said:

must admit i have never been to a place that has not asked for my license to but any cartridges.

Like I said, it’s becoming rare, but there are still places ( where I’m well known admittedly ) where I’m not asked for my ticket.
It is an offence to sell cartridges to anyone who doesn’t possess a ticket, but not an offence for anyone to ‘gift’ them to a non-ticket holder. Weird. 

42 minutes ago, Scully said:

Like I said, it’s becoming rare, but there are still places ( where I’m well known admittedly ) where I’m not asked for my ticket.
It is an offence to sell cartridges to anyone who doesn’t possess a ticket, but not an offence for anyone to ‘gift’ them to a non-ticket holder. Weird. 

There’s one clay ground I go to that has never asked for my SGC when purchasing cartridges. I have purchased a gun from them in the last so perhaps they just remember me. I have been served by different members of staff though.

The other clay grounds that i go to asks every time, as does my regular the gun shop.

11 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

That’s what I thought too. Gunshops always ask to see your SGC. 

Also, advertisers on here always request sight of a SGC when buying cartridges.

Does Scully know something we don’t?

OB

you do need an SGC to purchase or written authority from the SGC holder and the SGC. 

Nothing needed to possess

BASC say

It is an offence to sell cartridges to someone without seeing their shotgun certificate, except where the recipient is a Crown servant or where a person produces a certificate authorising another person to possess such a gun, together with that person’s written authority to purchase the ammunition on his behalf.

from

https://basc.org.uk/firearms/shotgun-safety/

8 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

BASC say

It is an offence to sell cartridges to someone without seeing their shotgun certificate, except where the recipient is a Crown servant or where a person produces a certificate authorising another person to possess such a gun, together with that person’s written authority to purchase the ammunition on his behalf.

from

https://basc.org.uk/firearms/shotgun-safety/

So according to BASC only a male can give written permission for someone else to purchase shotgun cartridges on their behalf :whistling: