Thermal monocular spotters ???? , The good, Bad, And down right Useless ????, What you got PW members???,

oldypigeonpopper

Well i just had notice of a long term ISA and it has made ***** difference these last few years so i thought sod it, cash in and get the above, there are so many to choose, from my starting 2 squirrel feeders, to helping out night foxing, i like these 2 Thermtec Cylops CP 315 and 315 Pro, any thoughts PW, 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate bought a Flir Scout, very similar to the 2 you mentioned, he sold it shortly after and bought a Pulsar.

The picture size is like looking at a postage stamp, spend your ISA wisely and spend a bit more, look at the Pulsar RF versions there around 1800 

https://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products/pulsar-axion-2-lrf-xq35-pro

34 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Mate bought a Flir Scout, very similar to the 2 you mentioned, he sold it shortly after and bought a Pulsar.

The picture size is like looking at a postage stamp, spend your ISA wisely and spend a bit more, look at the Pulsar RF versions there around 1800 

unfortunately this ISA is not that going to pay out that sort of money, but thanks to reply👍

12 hours ago, Dougy said:

hello, thanks to reply, i have looked at the Flir thermals but was put off with only 1 year warranty, not like Pulsar or the Thermtec, 

13 hours ago, Grandalf said:

Pulsar or Pulsar or maybe Pulsar.   Had mine for years and it still cuts the mustard.   Simple to use too.

Ha. Love it. I've used pulsar and own a hik gryphon, both great kit but you'll pay more for pulsar( best on market if you buy marketing ) for less product at the hik gryphon range mark..

On 31/12/2023 at 21:11, ShootingEgg said:

Ha. Love it. I've used pulsar and own a hik gryphon, both great kit but you'll pay more for pulsar( best on market if you buy marketing ) for less product at the hik gryphon range mark..

hello, how do you get on with the Hik Graphon ?? and which model do you have, i was looking at the GH 35 35mm ????

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, how do you get on with the Hik Graphon ?? and which model do you have, i was looking at the GH 35 35mm ????

Depending on your budget they have now released the Condor ( newer model ) so that could be of interest they do a CH and CQ model with the 35mm with upto 600m identification and 1000m range.

The equivalent model to the GH35L would be the CQ35 priced around 1800-2000£

18 minutes ago, bunny_blaster said:

I’ve got the Helion XP50 2. It’s very good but there are spotter out there now for a lot less money with similar if not better performance 

Thanks to reply, yes that is what i am looking at different makes and models, i need to find a local shop that sells thermal monoculars, Hik never replied my Email

37 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Depending on your budget they have now released the Condor ( newer model ) so that could be of interest they do a CH and CQ model with the 35mm with upto 600m identification and 1000m range.

The equivalent model to the GH35L would be the CQ35 priced around 1800-2000£

Way above my Budget🙄

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

I have the GH35L and it's been great. Cannot fault it for the price point. 

Hello, Thanks to reply, ok that sounds good, not sure if i need the Fusion thing , is it any good ??, you still need a I/R torch, main concern is the diopter adjustment, on the uk night vision forum the Lynx Pro 25 and 35 had good reviews, 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Thanks to reply, ok that sounds good, not sure if i need the Fusion thing , is it any good ??, you still need a I/R torch, main concern is the diopter adjustment, on the uk night vision forum the Lynx Pro 25 and 35 had good reviews, 

No need for ir on thermal.. and the fusion is food in day not so in the evening. 

Buy any thermal for spotting is likely to be better at seeing a hidden target than nv with ir. Swap to ir for the kill. 

I have pulsar 38 it's brilliant. There were lots sold off from the cull but at £1300 so I guess out of budget. 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, i read you can buy an adapter to take a I/R torch for night time using the fusion setting, saying this it looks good in daytime mode,

Ah okay get you now, sorry misread. But yeah I don't tend to use the fusion at night. Just white or black hot depending on where I am 

58 minutes ago, oowee said:

Buy any thermal for spotting is likely to be better at seeing a hidden target than nv with ir. Swap to ir for the kill. 

I have pulsar 38 it's brilliant. There were lots sold off from the cull but at £1300 so I guess out of budget. 

hello, a good thermal but yes alas out of my price range, thanks for posting

Just now, ShootingEgg said:

Ah okay get you now, sorry misread. But yeah I don't tend to use the fusion at night. Just white or black hot depending on where I am 

Hello, no problem and appreciate your help, have narrowed it down to either a Lynx Pro or the Graphon 

If squirrel is going to be a high percentage of your outings - and fox mostly rare I suggest the lower mag will suffice and help spot close up tree use without being too zoomed in. Foxes are so much larger and though they'd be small in the viewer all you need is to know if one is there and wait for it or close the distance, so a fox 'finder' albeit bereft of detail is fine with your budget in my opinion.

Edited by Dave-G

For the money the HikMicro lynx 19 or 25 mm are pretty good. We use the 25 mm for spotting and although recognition isn’t great past 100 yards it’s not bad for a grand and ten times better than NV for scanning a large area to ***** if it’s worth the stalk or not.

i think the falcons will see these off or reduce their price soon so might be worth waiting but then the thermal market moves faster than a stabbed rat so who knows when the best time to pull the trigger is.