Testing….testing….

Ttfjlc

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, yes the server is really sick. There are some complications with moving it over to a new one. So I am hoping it's patched up for now. But I did think that yesterday.... Sorry for inconvenience, will get over it!!  But need a bit of time to focus on it and get the new server setup and data transferred.

Not come at a great time (these things never do!) sorry for delays with getting back online and apologies in advance if another outage before the move.

18 minutes ago, Teal said:

Thanks guys, yes the server is really sick. There are some complications with moving it over to a new one. So I am hoping it's patched up for now. But I did think that yesterday.... Sorry for inconvenience, will get over it!!  But need a bit of time to focus on it and get the new server setup and data transferred.

Not come at a great time (these things never do!) sorry for delays with getting back online and apologies in advance if another outage before the move.

As I’ve said before, no complaints from me for the efforts from yourself and the mods, have you seen marshman’s thread regarding some form of financial contribution? 

I have, I'm giving it some thought. Must post on there. I have another idea, but it's a bit out there, and I'm not sure how it would work.

It's really kind and appreciated. As are the posts here, it's really frustrating for me when it breaks and I feel like I'm letting people down. Thanks for the understanding and patience!! I think I will know more when I have the alternative server up and running. I think I have a pathway, but am waiting on some quotes.

7 minutes ago, Ttfjlc said:

As I’ve said before, no complaints from me for the efforts from yourself and the mods, have you seen marshman’s thread regarding some form of financial contribution? 

42 minutes ago, Teal said:

I have, I'm giving it some thought. Must post on there. I have another idea, but it's a bit out there, and I'm not sure how it would work.

It's really kind and appreciated. As are the posts here, it's really frustrating for me when it breaks and I feel like I'm letting people down. Thanks for the understanding and patience!! I think I will know more when I have the alternative server up and running. I think I have a pathway, but am waiting on some 

I don’t believe you’re letting folk down, it says a lot when northern members are willing to contribute 🙂

Teal - servers and the infrastructure they run on is the day job still very much on premise . Storage across 2 data centres into lots of  Terabyte of data ! 

keeping the lights on is a thankless task .

you have not let anyone down and yes I’d be happy to donate 10 bob for the meter  and I a tight Yorkshire man.

happy to help in other ways if you need to chat technical server stuff through the forum is a friendly place and friends help each other out however they can - thanks for your time and effort teal

Agriv8

Edited by Agriv8

8 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Teal - servers and the infrastructure they run on is the day job still very much on premise . Storage across 2 data centres into lots of  Terabyte of data ! 

keeping the lights on is a thankless task .

you have not let anyone down and yes I’d be happy to donate 10 bob for the meter  and I a tight Yorkshire man.

happy to help in other ways if you need to chat technical server stuff through the forum is a friendly place and friends help each other out however they can - thanks for your time and effort teal

Agriv8

👍👍👍

On 11/01/2024 at 21:42, Mice! said:

😱😱😱

Someone put ten Bob in the meter 

Tell yer what Mice ... if we had a ten bob meter in our younger days we would have had a empty meter more times then we would have had a full one .

My ole grand father had a ole penny gas meter in his front room , you put the penny in and wound the lever around a few times until the penny dropped and then you could put the gas oven on again .

We were a bit up market on the next road as we had a shilling meter , many a time we had to count all the loose change to try and make up 12 pence which was then taken to the village shop to change it into a shilling piece , and it wouldn't had been the first time where we took 9d and a empty corona bottle to get the 3d back so we could make the 12d up , and here you are talking about a 10 bob meter , Good god , you talk about about a North and South divide :lol:

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

We were a bit up market on the next road as we had a shilling meter , many a time we had to count all the loose change to try and make up 12 pence which was then taken to the village shop to change it into a shilling piece , and it wouldn't had been the first time where we took 9d and a empty corona bottle to get the 3d back so we could make the 12d up , and here you are talking about a 10 bob meter , Good god , you talk about about a North and South divide :lol:

Way before my time things like shillings mate 😅😅

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

Tell yer what Mice ... if we had a ten bob meter in our younger days we would have had a empty meter more times then we would have had a full one .

My ole grand father had a ole penny gas meter in his front room , you put the penny in and wound the lever around a few times until the penny dropped and then you could put the gas oven on again .

We were a bit up market on the next road as we had a shilling meter , many a time we had to count all the loose change to try and make up 12 pence which was then taken to the village shop to change it into a shilling piece , and it wouldn't had been the first time where we took 9d and a empty corona bottle to get the 3d back so we could make the 12d up , and here you are talking about a 10 bob meter , Good god , you talk about about a North and South divide 

Funny that  mm when we were kids we had nothing and we were real poor one day we had no food so we broke into our own gas meter and stole the two Bob bits in it to get something to eat my dad didn’t find out until the gas man came to empty it and found my cheap padlock on it 😂😂😂 needless to say I got a hiding  funny memories eh 

Edited by nobbyathome

14 hours ago, marsh man said:

We were a bit up market on the next road as we had a shilling meter , many a time we had to count all the loose change to try and make up 12 pence which was then taken to the village shop to change it into a shilling piece , and it wouldn't had been the first time where we took 9d and a empty corona bottle to get the 3d back so we could make the 12d up , and here you are talking about a 10 bob meter , Good god , you talk about about a North and South divide 

We had the meters over in the West Midlands, less interest borrowing from the coin meter. Lol

5 hours ago, nobbyathome said:

Funny that  mm when we were kids we had nothing and we were real poor one day we had no food so we broke into our own gas meter and stole the two Bob bits in it to get something to eat my dad didn’t find out until the gas man came to empty it and found my cheap padlock on it 😂😂😂 needless to say I got a hiding  funny memories eh 

People would laugh now , but every so often a chap used to come from Eastern Electricity to read the ole coin meter and my mother thought she had won the lottery when she got a rebate , this could have been anything between 10 and 15 bob , she would carefully pile the coins on top of the meter to be used again when the juice had ran out , this lasted for two or three times then the rest was used to put something in her six children's belly and then we were back to hunting around the house to find enough coins to make a shilling piece , the only time we ever got a helping hand was when we got flooded , we had very little before the flood and a sight less after , still , we are still here and it didn't do us a lot of harm .      MM 

I know mm people nowadays don’t understand how things were back thenwhen I talk to my kids about my childhood and how we scraped to eat they think I am making it up 😂 how times change sticking a lolly stick in the press a or b phone box sometimes got a coin out 😂😂😂 then if it did strait to get a jamboree bag 

30 minutes ago, nobbyathome said:

I know mm people nowadays don’t understand how things were back thenwhen I talk to my kids about my childhood and how we scraped to eat they think I am making it up 😂 how times change sticking a lolly stick in the press a or b phone box sometimes got a coin out 😂😂😂 then if it did strait to get a jamboree bag 

Now and again we got some free samples of Colegate tooth paste , these were about a third of the size of todays tube , when we thought they were emptied of paste we then put the flat tube in the old Acme clothes wringer , wind the wheel round and hey presto you have got enough for another couple of cleans of the teeth , Bob A Job week was always looked forward to as we bought a scouts cap from the jumble and done several car washes and other little jobs to earn a bob , time we took our expenses out , sadly there was very little , if any left over for the scout movement ,  :lol:

On 12/01/2024 at 22:27, marsh man said:

many a time we had to count all the loose change to try and make up 12 pence which was then taken to the village shop to change it into a shilling piece

I thought a shilling was 5p! Or is that what it would be worth now, not a direct pence conversion? (I'm not old enough to remember them myself, luckily! :D)

12 minutes ago, sandspider said:

I thought a shilling was 5p! Or is that what it would be worth now, not a direct pence conversion? (I'm not old enough to remember them myself, luckily! :D)

A shilling was 12 old pennies, there were 20 to the £ so there were 240 pennies in a pound unless I'm mistaken. Half of a shilling was a sixpence (old pence)(or a Tanner)

11 minutes ago, martinj said:

A shilling was 12 old pennies, there were 20 to the £ so there were 240 pennies in a pound unless I'm mistaken. Half of a shilling was a sixpence (old pence)(or a Tanner)

The old currency was really flexible too.

You can divide a shilling by 2, 3, 4 or 6, whereas 10p can only be divided by 2 or 5. The thrill of being given a half-crown by a benevolent uncle far exceeds that of today's 50p.

I'll go and watch the 4 Yorkshiremen sketch now.

42 minutes ago, martinj said:

Ah, right - so a shilling was 1/20 of a pound, so worth 5p. But also 12 old pence. Confusing, I think I prefer decimalisation! Cheers.

16 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Ah, right - so a shilling was 1/20 of a pound, so worth 5p. But also 12 old pence. Confusing, I think I prefer decimalisation! Cheers.

We all got by nicely thank you, I remember when a Mars bar was 4d so you would get change from a sixpence and would get 60 mars bars to the £

(probably larger Mars bars too) 🙂