An afternoon with the 10.

edenman

It was raining when I woke and given this season I have taken more than my fair share of soakings I went back to bed.

As always when I don’t get out in the morning I spend the rest of the day getting under my wife’s feet and wishing I had went out. When she said it’s not to rain this afternoon why don’t you go out. The words had barely left her mouth and I was getting the gun out of the cabinet.

I had no expectations as I headed to the big estuary as the tide was going to be dropping. No sooner had I settled down at my usual spot then 9 mallard came over me. My first shot dropped 2 then my next shot also dropped 2. One was a runner and gave the dog a run around until it tired and the dog got him.

IMG_1750.jpeg.d9cf1452cd0bd35cd1391164e8d7646e.jpeg

After that I went off the boil shooting wise, missing a good few shots and loosing a teal to the tide which was frustrating.

It wasn’t until darkness that some form came back to me. I managed to add a teal and a greylag.

It was a heavy walk back the mile or so to the car.

IMG_1763.jpeg.e5d93fd74cd5890143046e3443d78f30.jpeg

Edited by edenman

21 minutes ago, edenman said:

It was raining when I woke and given this season I have taken more than my fair share of soakings I went back to bed.

As always when I don’t get out in the morning I spend the rest of the day getting under my wife’s feet and wishing I had went out. When she said it’s not to rain this afternoon why don’t you go out. The words had barely left her mouth and I was getting the gun out of the cabinet.

I had no expectations as I headed to the big estuary as the tide was going to be dropping. No sooner had I settled down at my usual spot then 9 mallard came over me. My first shot dropped 2 then my next shot also dropped 2. One was a runner and gave the dog a run around until it tired and the dog got him.

IMG_1750.jpeg.d9cf1452cd0bd35cd1391164e8d7646e.jpeg

After that I went off the boil shooting wise, missing a good few shots and loosing a teal to the tide which was frustrating.

It wasn’t until darkness that some form came back to me. I managed to add a teal and a greylag.

It was a heavy walk back the mile or so to the car.

IMG_1763.jpeg.e5d93fd74cd5890143046e3443d78f30.jpeg

Very well done 👏 

As already said it was great result , four for two shots is a lovely start , only ever done it once when two separate pairs come down a fast flowing river and managed to get each pair with one shot , more luck than judgment .

The bag never look as nice when they get sodden wet . although they all look the same when they have there birthday suits on :lol:

Ithaca 10, a heavy, bloody good reliable gun.

Why do some/most labs look so bloody sad while clearly there're have a whale of a time.  My current 10 year old red dog has a smile all over his face when he's out. All the previous labs were poker faced apart from one, the first I paid good money for. He was the best natural clever retriever I've ever owned but an absolute ******. I could write a book about his exploits.

3 hours ago, cash1 said:

Ithaca 10, a heavy, bloody good reliable gun.

Why do some/most labs look so bloody sad while clearly there're have a whale of a time.  My current 10 year old red dog has a smile all over his face when he's out. All the previous labs were poker faced apart from one, the first I paid good money for. He was the best natural clever retriever I've ever owned but an absolute ******. I could write a book about his exploits.

Looks like he is thinking…..I am wet, muddy, cold and hungry, can we go home now. :)

24 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Wow, great result, the ten looks well used and as it should given your exploits. 4 for 2 out of the same bunch, isn't that a R&L x2..😉

I once flushed 5 mallard from a drain and killed 3 with the right and 2 with the left, totally by fluke of course. My mate waiting fifty yards further down the drain was less than amused.

4 hours ago, London Best said:

I once flushed 5 mallard from a drain and killed 3 with the right and 2 with the left, totally by fluke of course. My mate waiting fifty yards further down the drain was less than amused.

We should do a thread on flukes L B , now it is a fluke if I get one with two shots :lol:

Just now, marsh man said:

We should do a thread on flukes L B , now it is a fluke if I get one with two shots :lol:

When I was about 14, shooting with my Dad, he said, “Why is it whenever you shoot anything you think it was a good shot, but when I get something you always reckon it was a fluke?”

1 minute ago, London Best said:

When I was about 14, shooting with my Dad, he said, “Why is it whenever you shoot anything you think it was a good shot, but when I get something you always reckon it was a fluke?”

When you are 14 even knocking down a Pigeon that was sitting on a branch is a good shot , then when you knock a bird out of a thick bunch strangely enough it was always the one you aimed out .

In 1976 ( the year of the drought ) I got invited on a driven English Partridge shoot , I had shot plenty of walked up but never a driven one , I remember standing well back from these main electric cables that were on the pylons , the drive hade started and a covey of about 12 were coming towards me like the clappers , I had to wait till they were nearly sideways for fear of hitting the cables , they came within shot and I fired two shots at the front ones , they carried on flying and two from near the back fell out , I had missed them by a country mile , the farmer who was standing on the next peg said afterwards that you ole Pigeon shooters certainly know where to put the shot , if he only knew .

As a footnote I believe we were a couple short of shooting 100 Grey Partridges , I still go on the same marshes and haven't seen one for years and on the uplands where we shot is now a big housing estate,     MM

The only fluke shot I made (apart from when I actually hit pigeons these days🤣) was as a teenager (13) in 1961, I used to stalk rabbits which were very abundant in those days and lined up two rabbits with my trusty but very old folding Belgian single .410.

When I went to pick them up, there were two further rabbits that were behind the first two, hidden in the grass. 4 for 1 shot and with a price from the butchers of 3 bob each I was over the moon and felt very rich with my 12 shillings (60p for those too young to remember pre decimal coinage).

OB

7 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

The only fluke shot I made (apart from when I actually hit pigeons these days🤣) was as a teenager (13) in 1961, I used to stalk rabbits which were very abundant in those days and lined up two rabbits with my trusty but very old folding Belgian single .410.

When I went to pick them up, there were two further rabbits that were behind the first two, hidden in the grass. 4 for 1 shot and with a price from the butchers of 3 bob each I was over the moon and felt very rich with my 12 shillings (60p for those too young to remember pre decimal coinage).

OB

Brilliant Chris , No way can I compete with four Rabbits with one shot , I think twice I have shot a double figures at Pigeons with two shots , once when I crawled under the ole fashion Kale stalk's that were covered in snow and the heavy feeding pigeons that were feeding on the top didn't have a clue that there was a evil young man who was less than 30 yards away who was going to spoil there day big time , I had already raised my cold body up above the Kale when the first lot took off , after a quick shot in there direction the whole lot lifted up at the same and the second shot done a fair bit of damage to there numbers , as a extra bonus, once I collected several I soon warmed my freezing hands up on the hot dead bodies .   :good:

On 21/01/2024 at 16:06, islandgun said:

Wow, great result, the ten looks well used and as it should given your exploits. 4 for 2 out of the same bunch, isn't that a R&L x2..😉

Yes it’s been through a few hands before I got it, some well know fowlers up here have had it at some point.

Multiple shots? I once had 5 teal to one shot, and I stalked and killed 6 pinks with one shot on a stubble.

8 minutes ago, London Best said:

6 pinks with one shot! 
Now that’s going to take some beating.

It wasn’t the most sporting shot to be fair. The sport lay in the stalk then when I looked over the dyke they jumped and I fired. I was that astonished to see so many drop I forgot my second barrel. 6 was more than enough though!

1 hour ago, London Best said:

6 pinks with one shot! 
Now that’s going to take some beating.

I am pretty sure there would had been a few ole timers who had done better than that , mine you that would had been with a gun that fired over a pound of shot and around 8 foot long . Might had been by one of these ole boys:good:

SAMSUNG-CAMERA-PICTURES.jpg

SAMSUNG-CAMERA-PICTURES.jpg

2 hours ago, edenman said:

Yes it’s been through a few hands before I got it, some well know fowlers up here have had it at some point.

Multiple shots? I once had 5 teal to one shot, and I stalked and killed 6 pinks with one shot on a stubble.

Was that with the ithaca