Had anyone tried these cabinets?

Baldingfast

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Simple, offer them a cup of tea and a biscuit, then politely ask them to leave.  To be doubly sure, make it a chocolate biscuit.  No need to keep the pot warm for the police, they won't attend.

🤣🤣 sounds about right

If someone want to steal your guns all they got to do is come when your in and threaten you they did it with George Digweed 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

There are a lot of FEO's interpreting the Home Office Security Guidance as they see fit, would probably be more accurate.

Indeed, arguing with the FEO over a cabinet installation has always seemed like a strange hill to die on to me.  Apparently one FEO in A&S doesn't like concrete anchors and insists on expanding bolts.  How he's supposed to be able to tell the difference once fitted I don't know.

Presumably the concern there is that your cabinet could then be removed using nothing more than a handsaw to cut through the joists?  Ok you might get  some local roof collapse...but only if your thief is a bit slow...

The home office guidance does have some specific guidance on fixing to 'stud wall' but I know stone is the preferred option. Being in the loft, I think it's effectively secured to what would be a stud wall, just without the plasterboard covering 😬

21 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Leicestershire Firearms Licensing went through a phase years ago when they didn't like loft fitting.

When I asked why?

The answer was "that people came in from shooting, couldn't be ***** to go up in the loft and left guns around inside the front door."

The loft is relatively easily accessed via a ramsay ladder in a small bathroom, and there's no way the missus would let me leave guns lying about the house with the kids around! I suspect she is stricter than any Firearms officer that might visit 😂

1 minute ago, Baldingfast said:

there's no way the missus would let me leave guns lying about the house with the kids around! I suspect she is stricter than any Firearms officer that might visit 😂

And possibly far more sensible.   :cool1:

I scrapped the small loft hatch in the bathroom and fitted a large hinged one in a bedroom. This is lockable and I use a key mounted on a length of dowel to unlock. The door hinges down and exposes a loft ladder which is reached by the hook on the other end of the dowel. This has been in operation for over 35 years now, but I did have to renew the loft ladder as the original one wore out the sliding locking catch mechanism.

On 20/02/2024 at 09:27, London Best said:

I scrapped the small loft hatch in the bathroom and fitted a large hinged one in a bedroom. This is lockable and I use a key mounted on a length of dowel to unlock. The door hinges down and exposes a loft ladder which is reached by the hook on the other end of the dowel. This has been in operation for over 35 years now, but I did have to renew the loft ladder as the original one wore out the sliding locking catch mechanism.

i got rid of the loft and had a loft extension built with a proper stairs leading up to it  with onsweet 

4 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

i got rid of the loft and had a loft extension built with a proper stairs leading up to it  with onsweet 

You keep your guns in the en-suite???

My loft has insulation between the joists and is fully floored and has insulation in the roof as well. But is purely a gun room complete with a workbench/loading bench. There are three cabinets plus two racks for air rifles. There are a few antlers/horns hanging up and a few old cartridges displayed. I just wish Mrs. L.B. would stop using any spare space as a dumping ground for junk she never uses.

395B64AB-C940-4E19-AF0E-830A34340FE7.jpeg

FE5C78E4-4C35-47A9-B474-751E8FA8B913.jpeg

22 minutes ago, London Best said:

My loft has insulation between the joists and is fully floored and has insulation in the roof as well. But is purely a gun room complete with a workbench/loading bench. There are three cabinets plus two racks for air rifles. There are a few antlers/horns hanging up and a few old cartridges displayed. I just wish Mrs. L.B. would stop using any spare space as a dumping ground for junk she never uses.

You got some interesting items there I use one of my bedrooms as my gunroom 

20240222_080421.jpg

20240222_080344.jpg

56 minutes ago, London Best said:

Hello, That looks very nice LB, 👍

4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, That looks very nice LB, 👍

Thank you. 
I think there are about 75 Roe heads up there and a few Fallow/Muntjac and a couple of Reds. There has been no room for any more for about twenty years now. Some of the rest of the house is like, “welcome to Africa” and the living room has a bit of taxidermy. I have a VERY understanding wife!

On 18/02/2024 at 21:52, zipdog said:

My understand of the law is that you must take reasonable precautions to secure the firearm. That is all.

There are a lot of FEO making up additional requirements, which they have no legal right to do. 

Correct.

My understand of the law is that you must take reasonable precautions to secure the firearm. That is all.

There are a lot of FEO making up additional requirements, which they have no legal right to do. 

Correct.

'As secure as is reasonably practicable' is the term in law.

London Best, that's a fine man cave you have.

As far as cabinets go, a casual burglar is unlikely to spend time on even the cheapest of cabinets, If they're in your home because they know you have guns then a battery angle grinder is going to open any normal cabinet in minutes.

It's all your other security that's more important.

Am liking the gun room @London Best 👍
I once had to move back to my parents at the age of 26, ( I was between houses for a spell ) and into my old bedroom, which was the attic. 
My Mother bless her, who had once told me, ‘You’ll never bring a gun into this house’, must have despaired when I moved back in and turned my old bedroom into a gun room in the space of a weekend. 
Cabinets weren’t much of a thing back then, but I had one for my handguns anyhow; rifles were just hung on the beams, including a marvellous .303 Lee-Metford bought from Morecambe Guns! 
Reloading bench and presses plus all the gear that goes with it; shelves loaded with dies and powder, and reloading posters plus all my books! Cartridge cases and boxes of ammo, plus my not too small ( back then ) collection of old pistols, bayonets, helmets and militaria. 
My gunroom is also my studio now, and the vast majority of my ‘tat’ as my OH calls it, has now gone. 
Everyman should have a gun room. 👍

@Scully 

Very different when I was a kid. Dad and myself had a gun in every corner and alcove in the house. I don’t think Mother ever even commented on it.

Long after that, shortly after I moved to this house in 1979, there was a spate of burglaries in the area. They seemed to be working their way up this road. I saw an advert for gun cabinets and thought them a good idea. I bought one and have had that one since 1970.