Had anyone tried these cabinets?

Baldingfast

These seem awful cheap... just wondering if anyone has bought one or had a license renewal recently with one? I'm in the market, and wondering if one of these will suffice for FAC in Scotland.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380897168616?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=vHy21yaLRSi&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=oa8lin4oTEC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the guys sold thousands of them. Feedback looks good as well. 
my advice always buy one bigger than you need. A 3 gun safe is comfortable for 1 gun. If that’s all you’ll ever need go for that size otherwise go for a 5 gun minimum I’d say. 
where and how you mount the safe are almost as important as the quality of the safe as are the locks. I went brattonsound, but know many that went the eBay route (there’s another black and red one that’s good) I’d also upgrade the mounting bolts. Good luck 🤞 

Edited by TK421

12 hours ago, Baldingfast said:

These seem awful cheap... just wondering if anyone has bought one or had a license renewal recently with one? I'm in the market, and wondering if one of these will suffice for FAC in Scotland.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380897168616?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=vHy21yaLRSi&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=oa8lin4oTEC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Which area of Police Scotland are you applying in?

5 hours ago, button said:

Which area of Police Scotland are you applying in?

I'm technically perthshire, but I believe it would be applied for through Glenrothes police as the closest one. 

Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually managed to pick up a 3 gun cabinet on marketplace today pretty cheap. 

Screenshot_20240218_174803_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240218_174756_Facebook.jpg

52 minutes ago, button said:

Sure you will be fine Pal, I have found PS to be very helpful

Fingers crossed 🤞 My main concern is that I'll be mounting the cabinet in the loft (all floored and power up there) but there are no solid walls up there so it will be secured to vertical and floor joists using m8 x 70mm coach screws to the floor joist and either same or m8 x 100mm coach bolts to the vertical timbers. 

1 hour ago, Baldingfast said:

Fingers crossed 🤞 My main concern is that I'll be mounting the cabinet in the loft (all floored and power up there) but there are no solid walls up there so it will be secured to vertical and floor joists using m8 x 70mm coach screws to the floor joist and either same or m8 x 100mm coach bolts to the vertical timbers. 

Best have a look at the home office guidelines on mounting the safe mate. Also mention what you’re thinking to your FEO. My understanding (or it’s better) is it needs to mounted into solid brickwork, or chemically fixed if into block? Also consider load bearing etc.. 

Edited by TK421

36 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Best have a look at the home office guidelines on mounting the safe mate. Also mention what you’re thinking to your FEO. My understanding (or it’s better) is it needs to mounted into solid brickwork, or chemically fixed if into block? Also consider load bearing etc.. 

My understand of the law is that you must take reasonable precautions to secure the firearm. That is all.

There are a lot of FEO making up additional requirements, which they have no legal right to do. 

9 hours ago, zipdog said:

My understand of the law is that you must take reasonable precautions to secure the firearm. That is all.

There are a lot of FEO making up additional requirements, which they have no legal right to do. 

I agree 100%, which is why I said it’s best to ask the FEO. 
Ive heard of some that will state they want it secured to solid brick work, mine for instance literally opened the door and swung on it, and he was a big lad. Luckily I already knew he was likely to do this, the cabinet had 8 x huge mechanical fixings into the wall and solid brick.

others I’ve heard of have had the cabinet free standing as they haven’t yet had time to fix it and the FEO said fine now get the kettle on and where are the biscuits lol. 
the point is they’re all different (shouldn’t be), they’re like building regs, you can argue with them as much as you like, but how badly do you want your house built (licence ) 

11 hours ago, zipdog said:

There are a lot of FEO's interpreting the Home Office Security Guidance as they see fit, would probably be more accurate.

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

the point is they’re all different (shouldn’t be), they’re like building regs, you can argue with them as much as you like, but how badly do you want your house built (licence ) 

Indeed, arguing with the FEO over a cabinet installation has always seemed like a strange hill to die on to me.  Apparently one FEO in A&S doesn't like concrete anchors and insists on expanding bolts.  How he's supposed to be able to tell the difference once fitted I don't know.

13 hours ago, Baldingfast said:

My main concern is that I'll be mounting the cabinet in the loft (all floored and power up there) but there are no solid walls up there so it will be secured to vertical and floor joists using m8 x 70mm coach screws to the floor joist and either same or m8 x 100mm coach bolts to the vertical timbers. 

Presumably the concern there is that your cabinet could then be removed using nothing more than a handsaw to cut through the joists?  Ok you might get  some local roof collapse...but only if your thief is a bit slow...

34 minutes ago, ant.mass said:

I have one it's a deep 10 gun cabinet. FEO said it was fine

and my old cabinet was in the loft.  put  it was pain getting up / in out of the loft

So now it's in bedroom.

Leicestershire Firearms Licensing went through a phase years ago when they didn't like loft fitting.

When I asked why?

The answer was "that people came in from shooting, couldn't be ***** to go up in the loft and left guns around inside the front door."

One of my shooting pals lives in a ‘Park Home’ ie a caravan. He has no problem with a cabinet bolted horizontally to the floor ( it’s actually half length so he has to remove the barrels etc to fit his two guns in. As regards the loft fitting cabinet, Christ, anyone could rock up in a look alike roofers van with a pair of ladders, handful of tiles off and you’re in and  I doubt many folk will have an alarm sensor up in the loft!

3 hours ago, Manymissedpigeon said:

As regards the loft fitting cabinet, Christ, anyone could rock up in a look alike roofers van with a pair of ladders, handful of tiles off and you’re in

Christ, quick you better inform your home insurance of the flaw in yours and everyone's buildings.

Edited by Newbie to this

4 hours ago, zipdog said:

This thread sums up UK society.

If someone breaks into your home and steals your possessions (which includes your guns) you are made to be more of a criminal than the thief. 

Simple, offer them a cup of tea and a biscuit, then politely ask them to leave.  To be doubly sure, make it a chocolate biscuit.  No need to keep the pot warm for the police, they won't attend.