Norfolk Police Are Using Buses To Catch Drivers With No Seat Belts Or Using The Phone.

marsh man

21 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

Only If they survive 

Even if they don't   !   Road closures, investigation team, emergency teams, air ambulance etc. etc. etc. Autopsy,  Coroners Courts, legal representation  ?

None of them are free.

Not withstanding the devastating effect on relatives.

Edited by Westley

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who commit one crime are also much more likely to be committing others. Pulling people over for phone and seat belts is a very good starting point for a bit more investigation.

These 'fishing trips' often turn up a lot more than just the offence they were originally stopped for. It makes good sense

But policing is about numbers these days, 39 convictions in one day looks good on the performance tables.

17 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Policing does seem to have moved from enforcing the law and actually investigating crimes, to selectively enforcing some laws whilst totaling ignoring others.

Protests demos, stop oil etc, seem to be above the law whereas motorists get the full weight.

I applaud them taking this particular action. It is effective and catches law breakers. I just wish they would use the same zeal in the rest of their duties.

That said, it isn't the lower ranks who decide priorities. I make no apology for saying "Where is the new James Anderton"? The country is crying out for you.

The wokies may think you are in need of mouthwash Gordon but you are correct.

Thinking back there was a police chief years ago that openly said that if they didn't police citizens would do it themselves. He soon disappeared?

Edited by old man

2 hours ago, Westley said:

Even if they don't   !   Road closures, investigation team, emergency teams, air ambulance etc. etc. etc. Autopsy,  Coroners Courts, legal representation  ?

None of them are free.

Not withstanding the devastating effect on relatives.

In that case they won't do it again will  they

4 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Ok so just a question here my phone is also my satnav - google maps - while sat in slow moving traffic I will check if there is an alternative route am I breaking the law ? Would the plod on the bus call my details in ?

the phone is mounted on a holder to side of screen and is hands free for the very odd time someone calls me !

just interested Agriv8

AFAIK you are not breaking the law if the phone is in a holder. If you are using Google maps with phone in your hand it’s definitely an offence. 

Check out @CyclingMikey on YouTube. Whether you agree with his methods or not he catches dozens of motorists using their phones in stationary traffic on a GoPro and sends it to the police. 6 points and a fine.

1 hour ago, MrPhantom said:

Check out @CyclingMikey on YouTube. Whether you agree with his methods or not he catches dozens of motorists using their phones in stationary traffic on a GoPro and sends it to the police. 6 points and a fine.

Yet another reason why we need number plates on pedal cycles!

If the road users of Norfolk (or anywhere) didn't break the laws concerning phones while driving so much, maybe the police would have more time to be out and about looking for burglars and such.

Anybody that defends the problem or complains about police only going after the "easy money" is on the wrong foot.

47 minutes ago, Westley said:

I'll second that, Why  ?

On the basis of films from cyclists people face prosecution because they are traceable via reg plate and rightly too.

On the basis of dashcam footage of a cyclist breaking the law  submitted nothing is done, even if the face of the culprit is clear and their location known.. No reg plate, in the words of the law, to trace them.

Edited by Yellow Bear

11 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

On the basis of films from cyclists people face prosecution because they are traceable via reg plate and rightly too.

On the basis of dashcam footage of a cyclist breaking the law  submitted nothing is done, even if the face of the culprit is clear and their location known.. No reg plate, in the words of the law, to trace them.

:good:

1 hour ago, Yellow Bear said:

Yet another reason why we need number plates on pedal cycles!

Along with compulsory training and test ending in a licence, plus insurance, and tax. And of course a vehicle road worthy check every year.

Edited by Newbie to this

5 hours ago, Vince Green said:

People who commit one crime are also much more likely to be committing others. Pulling people over for phone and seat belts is a very good starting point for a bit more investigation.

These 'fishing trips' often turn up a lot more than just the offence they were originally stopped for. It makes good sense

But policing is about numbers these days, 39 convictions in one day looks good on the performance tables.

Yes one minute not wearing a seat belt the next a Serial Killer!

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

:good:

Along with compulsory training and test ending in a licence, plus insurance, and tax. And of course a vehicle road worthy check every year.

Starting with little kids once they learn to ride.  

It’s usually traffic police in the HGV’s, that’s their job.

They aren’t there to investigate burglaries etc.

The bus one one the police thing were there to catch local yoofs causing bother.

I have no issue with police catching speeders/mobile users/seatbelt non wearers.

First offence for mobile phone is £200 fine and 6 points.

I agree that the car should be impounded because no doubt the insurance companies will say we aren’t covering you if you have an accident whilst using it, therefore no insurance, a further 6 points.

:shaun:

PS, I’m not being holier than thou, I occasionally speed, never use phone when driving, have to wear a seatbelt because the beeps at me!!

9 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

It’s usually traffic police in the HGV’s, that’s their job.

They aren’t there to investigate burglaries etc.

The bus one one the police thing were there to catch local yoofs causing bother.

I have no issue with police catching speeders/mobile users/seatbelt non wearers.

First offence for mobile phone is £200 fine and 6 points.

I agree that the car should be impounded because no doubt the insurance companies will say we aren’t covering you if you have an accident whilst using it, therefore no insurance, a further 6 points.

PS, I’m not being holier than thou, I occasionally speed, never use phone when driving, have to wear a seatbelt because the beeps at me!!

Would the insurance be able to withdraw 3rd party cover? Would be good not to cover damage to the offenders vehicle but still cover 3rd party claims, so technically still insured. I dunno, tis a complex situation..

On 08/03/2024 at 17:26, MrPhantom said:

AFAIK you are not breaking the law if the phone is in a holder. 

You are breaking the law if you touch the phone even if its in a holder. Also phones in holders cannot obstruct the windscreen.  I think it's true to say the same applies to sat navs and dash cams

17 hours ago, Vince Green said:

You are breaking the law if you touch the phone even if its in a holder. Also phones in holders cannot obstruct the windscreen.  I think it's true to say the same applies to sat navs and dash cams

And those silly swinging dice?

On 08/03/2024 at 12:43, Westley said:

There is usually a big difference in screen size between a built in Sat Nav and a phone screen. I will NOT operate my Sat Nav without stopping my vehicle completely.  Using the Sat Nav on a phone must require more attention, due to the screen size. This must make the operation more dangerous surely. I see taxi drivers ( who are not the best of drivers anyway) with as many as 3 mobile phones stuck on their windscreens.  This must put pedestrians at great risk of being flattened by the vehicle, due to the drivers lack of vision.

Audio, Sat Navs tell you where to go. You just listen, you don't have to look at the screen constantly.

Agree with the visual aspect, though.

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

Audio, Sat Navs tell you where to go. You just listen, you don't have to look at the screen constantly.

Agree with the visual aspect, though.

I have a front seat passenger that tells me where to go   !

I just turn off my hearing aid   😊

On 08/03/2024 at 11:37, Agriv8 said:

Ok so just a question here my phone is also my satnav - google maps - while sat in slow moving traffic I will check if there is an alternative route am I breaking the law ? Would the plod on the bus call my details in ?

the phone is mounted on a holder to side of screen and is hands free for the very odd time someone calls me !

just interested Agriv8

As a former Magistrate I believe that if you 'use' that phone by touching it, whether or not it's in a holder, it is an offence. 

The law is a blanket ban, it offers no exemptions for where it is or what it is being used for. Hands free means literally that hands free.

Using it as a sat nav makes no difference its still a mobile phone.

But you always have the right to argue the point in court if you get stopped.

But I think they are missing a trick using a lorry.  We live near a big junior school and the mums on the school runs are the world's worst for using their mobile phones while driving.

Edited by Vince Green