Used Cars Brand recommendations

paul1966

Bit of a broad subject this one.

After some ideas as to what used car to get next, currently I have a Ford cmax so looking for something  about the same size, budget is 5K so looking at something about 10 years old with hopefully below average milage as I tend to hang onto my cars for several years.

Main things are obviously something reliable but if it does need repair that the spares are reasonable and readily available and also I could do the basics myself.

Had lots of Fords in the past with mixed luck regarding reliability. Had a Passat that was bomb proof and nice to drive, never had anything made in Asia. I’m open to any suggestions really so go ahead. 

21 minutes ago, London Best said:

Notice all recommendations are Japanese.

i wonder why :hmm:

the 2 greatest joys in my life were 

1. buying my 1st landrover in 1977
  2. and selling my last landrover quite recently
Edited by ditchman

As a Mazda fan - currently on my 4th - I'd advise caution with the Mazda 3 from 2004-2013. Mazda was bullied by Ford into basing it on the Focus which of course means various problems, particularly with the suspension and the 1.6 diesel engine at higher mileages. Following the divorce from Ford, Mazdas built after 2013 are 100% Mazda and consequently back up near the top in the reliability charts. They're also great to drive.

49 minutes ago, Westward said:

As a Mazda fan - currently on my 4th - I'd advise caution with the Mazda 3 from 2004-2013. Mazda was bullied by Ford into basing it on the Focus which of course means various problems, particularly with the suspension and the 1.6 diesel engine at higher mileages. Following the divorce from Ford, Mazdas built after 2013 are 100% Mazda and consequently back up near the top in the reliability charts. They're also great to drive.

Thanks so is it just the Mazda 3 between those years or all Mazda's at the minute the Mazda is top of the list.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

i wonder why :hmm:

the 2 greatest joys in my life were 

1. buying my 1st landrover in 1977
  2. and selling my last landrover quite recently

I bought my first in April 1976 and I still run an old-style Defender. 
Must have been to the Moon and back a few times in them.
Had a few minor problems along the way, of course, but never been stranded with anything I couldn’t fix. (age has put a stop to that now). 
I can’t imagine life without one really.

Just bought the wife a Jap skateboard!

if i had my time again i would have the old original short wheel base toyota landcruiser.....had a pick up landcriser in the early 80;s 6 cylinder straight petrol...loved it..it was a beast

7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

if i had my time again i would have the old original short wheel base toyota landcruiser.....had a pick up landcriser in the early 80;s 6 cylinder straight petrol...loved it..it was a beast

Yeah, they are nice, driven them quite a bit in Africa. 
But, during my trips over there, I have always managed to break something on one!

edit: not the poshest Land Cruisers on the planet in the first place though!

Edited by London Best

41 minutes ago, London Best said:

Yeah, they are nice, driven them quite a bit in Africa. 
But, during my trips over there, I have always managed to break something on one!

edit: not the poshest Land Cruisers on the planet in the first place though!

used to run my landcruiser on crossply at 15lbs/inch....very rarely had a puncher...also had very good quality shocks on it...used to spend less time in the workshop than the landies....but had to let it go as the MOD wouldnt cough up for Toyota parts...only British made stuff.......if i had my time again i would make the springs softer and dip them in hot liquid grease and wrap them (put boots on them)......

these rebuilt FJ40's are going for stoopid money now...........they are pretty tho'

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

these rebuilt FJ40's are going for stoopid money now...........they are pretty tho'

They’re ruddy gorgeous! 
Wish I could find one I could afford. 
But have you seen the prices for good Land Rovers lately?

14 hours ago, London Best said:

Notice all recommendations are Japanese.

Their reliability is without question.

Of all the vehicles I've had, the three Jap's have been faultless. Far more than can be said for the two LR Freeloader's, one petrol, one diesel.

13 hours ago, paul1966 said:

Thanks so is it just the Mazda 3 between those years or all Mazda's at the minute the Mazda is top of the list.

Just the 3 from 2004-2013 not sure about the 5 and 6 though. 

Every Mazda from 2013 on is 100% Mazda and all the UK spec ones are built in Japan. My current petrol 3 is coming up to 77K, still looks good and drives like a new car. The only non service replacement ever needed was a battery last month when the start/stop system was complaining.

Edited by Westward

As others have said, go Japanese. 

I have just gone Japanese again (replacing BMW with Toyota).  Had 3 Honda in the past, Accord (USA built, excellent), Civic (USA built, excellent), and finally Civic (Swindon built, poor).  Toyota I have recently acquired (used) was built in Japan.

17 hours ago, ditchman said:

SWB Landcruiser would be my first choice

47 minutes ago, Yellowvanman said:

I'm sure I've mentioned before I was a AA Patrol for 40 years.

If everyone drove Jap or Korean cars the AA would not need to exist.

My first choice would be Subaru then Suzuki

Interesting, often looked at Subaru, which would be your choice ?

52 minutes ago, Yellowvanman said:

I'm sure I've mentioned before I was a AA Patrol for 40 years.

If everyone drove Jap or Korean cars the AA would not need to exist.

My first choice would be Subaru then Suzuki

i remember when i was in the car with my dad....when we used to drive by an AA box with a motorbike and side car outside and the AA "officer" was there...he used to stand to attention and salute us as he saw the bright chrome and yellow badge on the front of dads rover..:lol:

6 minutes ago, islandgun said:

SWB Landcruiser would be my first choice

Interesting, often looked at Subaru, which would be your choice ?

google FJ40 ..some georgeous examples there....that will make you salivate