Bridge collapse - Baltimore.

Penelope

19 minutes ago, sussex_foxing said:

Surely a ship of this size should have several tugs guiding it through places like that right?

I believe it was under it's own steam, the tugs having been stood down as no longer required.

Looks like a major power loss on the ship leaving it at the mercy of the flow and tide.

15 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I suppose they’re just lucky it was the early hours of the morning when the bridge wouldn’t have had many people on it. 

I think they saw it coming and closed the bridge, if you look closely in the video , it looks like a few vehicles on the the bridge with flashing lights (EMS) ?

19 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I think they saw it coming and closed the bridge, if you look closely in the video , it looks like a few vehicles on the the bridge with flashing lights (EMS) ?

They were a team of contractors working on/repairing the road surface.

42 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I believe most of (or all) of the people who entered the water were road workers. 

30 minutes ago, miki said:

They were a team of contractors working on/repairing the road surface.

8 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I believe most of (or all) of the people who entered the water were road workers. 

Ah I see , didnt know that :good:

If you watch the film clip again, you will see that the ship had a major failure of some description, as just before it reached the bridge all of its lights went out. The ship was thought to be out of control, so the two pilots, or anybody else, couldn't really do anything except go along for the ride, until,,,, the film shows the ship's lights come back on and heavy smoke appearing from it also, just before impacting the bridge support.

A terrible event, especially for the people on the bridge, which was thankfully not many.

4 minutes ago, wymberley said:

It seems that that is not the first time that has happened to that particular boat.

Do you mean the failure part ? Not aware of that,,,, not seen anything mentioned on MSM that I've watched [don't watch much of it, too much doom and gloom].

2 minutes ago, JKD said:

Do you mean the failure part ? Not aware of that,,,, not seen anything mentioned on MSM that I've watched [don't watch much of it, too much doom and gloom].

Fair point. No, I was referring to the collision bit and have edited my post to suit. Had a bit of a smack departing Antwerp in 2016.

36 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Fair point. No, I was referring to the collision bit and have edited my post to suit. Had a bit of a smack departing Antwerp in 2016.

Ah, ok,,,, I'll look out for any more detail, which has to get past this 'Verify' thing before anything is confirmed 🤦

Going to be a few questions raised by this 

The ship had electrical problems in dock  why was it allowed to sail 

Will they start checking bridges of the age apparently it went down to easily even in Britain ?.

1 hour ago, Bigbob said:

Going to be a few questions raised by this 

The ship had electrical problems in dock  why was it allowed to sail 

Will they start checking bridges of the age apparently it went down to easily even in Britain ?.

The Bridge has the same issue as lots of infrastructure around the world, bridges, hospitals, prisons, the lot … they’re so astronomically expensive to build no one ever considers replacing them until they’re a complete wreck or something awful happens. 

12 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

The Bridge has the same issue as lots of infrastructure around the world, bridges, hospitals, prisons, the lot … they’re so astronomically expensive to build no one ever considers replacing them until they’re a complete wreck or something awful happens. 

Not sure any bridge would stand up to being slammed into the "legs" by a full container ship.... 

Atleast the ship was able to put out a mayday and the bridge got shut. Else it could have been so much worse from a casualty perspective.