Magpies in Garden

Looking at the general licence, I believe it is legal to shoot magpies in my garden as I am protecting song birds ?

(Wild birds of conservation concern). 

Just want to check, any advice appreciated. 

27 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Looking at the general licence, I believe it is legal to shoot magpies in my garden as I am protecting song birds ?

It's only in Wales, I believe, that they are now protected!

7 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

It's only in Wales, I believe, that they are now protected!

Yes but in other areas of the UK shooters still need to ensure they are shooting birds as per the terms of the general licence 👍🏻

Now I know in the unlikely event of being asked! :) 

3 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

That's what I meant. Magpies are now removed of the general licence list in Wales.

Cheers Steve 👍🏻

Ive not tested out that fox bait yet but going to give it a go soon :) 

if theres one bird that should stay on the general licence in wales it is the magpie. it is going to be devastating to the wild bird population curlew lapwings and other red listed birds in the next few years.and to farmers  at lambing time a very destructive bird. loads around my area. bad decision by nrw in my opinion

Edited by ant1

46 minutes ago, ant1 said:

if theres one bird that should stay on the general licence in wales it is the magpie. it is going to be devastating to the wild bird population curlew lapwings and other red listed birds in the next few years.and to farmers  at lambing time a very destructive bird. loads around my area. bad decision by nrw in my opinion

Hello, i agree , you only have to watch Simons videos on here to see how many magpies on one farm, take all the sheep farmers in wales at lambing time and the wild bird population there is sure to be a drastic reduction in numbers once the magpies start taking the eggs and young birds

18 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes - crack on. Use a Larson trap if you can. No gun noise and highly effective. Not as satisfying as seeing them tumble out of a tree I must admit. 

50 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Yes - crack on. Use a Larson trap if you can. No gun noise and highly effective. Not as satisfying as seeing them tumble out of a tree I must admit. 

I’ve got one up the farm. When I put it in the garden I didn’t have any luck! 

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I put a Larsen in my garden once. One day. The neighbour complained about the constant chattering. So I just shoot them now.

2 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I believe it's against the law to shoot your neighbours! :)

Brilliant 😆😂

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Harrycatcat1 is having some good success with one in his garden,,,, perhaps he could offer some advice ? 🤓

On 04/04/2024 at 19:18, ant1 said:

Over my Fathers place last night, he has taken a real vendetta against magpies this spring (if you can call it that), loads of small bird nests have been destroyed in his garden and field boundaries, he was fuming. he PCP will be getting red hot I suspect. Only started shooting at 62yr old, and with a PCP nearly exclusively, taking grey crows, magpies and rabbits at 100yrds with it!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/04/2024 at 12:51, Lloyd90 said:

Buy a plastic decoy off FleeBay and put white bread and / or eggs inside the trap. Works with crow decoys as well. (The decoy is the one on the left....)

IMG_6253.jpeg

Edited by Eyefor

• 2 weeks later...