Are We Living In A More Violent Society Than In The Past ?

marsh man

In our paper this morning it gave an account of three thugs who were charged with attempted murder after they beat this person up who was over 50 and then ran over him as one of the three said ( finish him off ) all this bloke done was to calm things down after two groups started a brawl in his local pub , after the brawl two drove back home which was about 20 miles away to arm themselves with knife's and get some more help , time they got back to the pub the other group had already left and this bloke was walking back home by himself , after the assault he couldn't move as his  Pelvis was shattered and had many broken bones , he is still on crutches and he is now frightened to go out by himself .

Also I was watching 24 hours at the A + E last night when a person got stabbed many times and one of the ambulance drivers said he see this a lot nowadays , he said they don't intend to kill the victim but they do there best to paralyze them by stabbing them in the back and hope to cut through one of the spinal cords , all right we had the odd scrap when we were youngsters and if you were unlucky then you got a few bruises and a Black eye , what on earth is the world coming to ?   MM

OMG that's unreal. All for what everyone's life ruined. I do think it's a lot worse now. I used to drink out in Coventry as a kid and we would expect trouble on a night out in the city. The worst you could expect would be to get glassed. 

simple answer.............YES ..........many people will argue that its no different tothe past due to the advent of social media...........but i belive the opposite.....

we all on Pigeonwatch how to stop it............but darnt say as we will be branded as FACISTS ...RACISTS.....etc...

the time is coming...........................

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

simple answer.............YES ..........many people will argue that its no different tothe past due to the advent of social media...........but i belive the opposite.....

we all on Pigeonwatch how to stop it............but darnt say as we will be branded as FACISTS ...RACISTS.....etc...

the time is coming...........................

I do hope so!

22 minutes ago, marsh man said:

In our paper this morning it gave an account of three thugs who were charged with attempted murder after they beat this person up who was over 50 and then ran over him as one of the three said ( finish him off ) all this bloke done was to calm things down after two groups started a brawl in his local pub , after the brawl two drove back home which was about 20 miles away to arm themselves with knife's and get some more help , time they got back to the pub the other group had already left and this bloke was walking back home by himself , after the assault he couldn't move as his  Pelvis was shattered and had many broken bones , he is still on crutches and he is now frightened to go out by himself .

Also I was watching 24 hours at the A + E last night when a person got stabbed many times and one of the ambulance drivers said he see this a lot nowadays , he said they don't intend to kill the victim but they do there best to paralyze them by stabbing them in the back and hope to cut through one of the spinal cords , all right we had the odd scrap when we were youngsters and if you were unlucky then you got a few bruises and a Black eye , what on earth is the world coming to ?   MM

Undoubtedly it's getting worse, particularly for serious violent offences.

The reasons for why are many, I believe we have a breakdown of society with people generally caring less about each other. We have imported violence from abroad with certain offences like acid attacks that were frankly not a native UK problem. We have also become over populated, causing a lack of resources, from schooling, mental health services, through to lack of police and prison space. A breakdown of the family unit with mothers not bringing their children up and an increase of extreme poverty.

All in all, the uk is very, very sick.

6 minutes ago, clangerman said:

dead beat parents raise dead beat children welcome to broken Britain now reaping what it sowed! 

Yes, that is certainly one part of the problem. Scum breeds scum, and they are beginning to outnumber us.

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

One word - YES!

I’m not sure that it is worse now, but it is just reported more and media and social media makes everyone aware of it. Look back in history to the late 1800’s and gangs were involved with violence gambling , robbery and racketeering the Peaky Blinders was just one example of this. 

Nope, it more violent now than it has been in the post war era but actually the most violent period in the modern era was Victorian times, so I suppose it depends on what you class as the past when considering the question.

Mr T beat me to it!

I would say we certainly do . Way more stabbings nowadays. I dont think the internet has helped much not the main cause for sure but i think it can desensitize people from violence with what you can see on there. When i was a kid the most gruesume things we would see was a bit of road kill.

1 hour ago, Mr.T said:

I’m not sure that it is worse now, but it is just reported more and media and social media makes everyone aware of it. Look back in history to the late 1800’s and gangs were involved with violence gambling , robbery and racketeering the Peaky Blinders was just one example of this. 

I took these days to mean the modern past.

3 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I took these days to mean the modern past.

My point was it’s nothing new, gangs and violence have been with us for a very long time, crime rates go up and down as society changes, look at the 60’s with gangs of mods and rockers mass fighting on south coast was common, knuckle dusters and knives were used then but the media was limited to TV and newspapers 

1 hour ago, Mr.T said:

My point was it’s nothing new, gangs and violence have been with us for a very long time, crime rates go up and down as society changes, look at the 60’s with gangs of mods and rockers mass fighting on south coast was common, knuckle dusters and knives were used then but the media was limited to TV and newspapers 

We also had the gangs of Mods and Rockers that ran riot along the sea front in the 60s but I cannot remember if there was a lot of serious scraps as most of them were very young and thought the world of there bikes , now they are at peace and hold conventions with each other .

We had a fair bit of trouble with the american service men in the early 60s , a lot of this was down to the ( yanks ) were not short of money and took plenty of the local females , much to local men's annoyance :lol:

the thing is,back in the good old days,there were some real deterrents if you got caught breaking the law.

wind the clock forward and all this woke,liberal,lefty justice  (JUSTICE,that's a joke in itself) that's doled out coupled with absolutely no spare prison places and hey presto,this is the country that you get.

1 hour ago, Mr.T said:

I'd strongly disagree with that. It might be literally nothing new, in the same way I'm sure rape was common in the stone age. But it doesn't mean it's not new for our modern times.

1 hour ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

the thing is,back in the good old days,there were some real deterrents if you got caught breaking the law.

wind the clock forward and all this woke,liberal,lefty justice  (JUSTICE,that's a joke in itself) that's doled out coupled with absolutely no spare prison places and hey presto,this is the country that you get.

Agreed, there is no deterrent, the legal system has a lot to answer for.