Nomination For The Worst Gun Shop In Britain

Blackbart

On monday i decided to go to a local(ish) gunshop that i had never visited before.I say local,but its 30 mile from my house,so a 60 mile round trip.My pal wanted some 22-250 ammo so as he had never been before he tagged along.As i am still looking for a 223 and their website said they have 6 or 7 instock,i thought i could have a look at a few while i was there and see if one jumped out at me.

Found the place ok,went inside and it looked good with lots of shooting clothes,lamps,wellies etc,you get the picture !The gun room was there behind a large metal gate door.Had a bit of a mooch around looking at stuff i dont need, but you do dont you.Anyway i asked the chap at the counter if i could have a look at some 223,s to be told bluntly "dont have any" then my mate butted in "what about 22-250"....."Dont have any of them either".We were a bit miffed by his attitude BUT it got worse.I said ok can we just get some ammo 17hmr and 22-250 to which he replied AND I QUOTE "Look,we dont have any of those either,if you want to dress like you are going shooting then we have lots of clothes at good prices but if you want to ACTUALLY SHOOT something then go somewhere else like weldon gun room or some where" End of quote.!!!

I can safely say its the worst customer care i have had in any shop never mind a gun shop.Their website is there for all to see saying they have got everything in stock and there prices are good but its no good if they dont want to sell the stuff to "People who actually shoot things"

So my nomination to the worst gunshop goes to DEEP BLUE in whitley bay,its a shocker !

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow :o Some gun shops think there doing you a favour or something! They need a good kick up the **** and to be reminded that without us they'd be the ones out of business!! :drool:

I once stood in a gun shop waiting to be served whilst the owner yapped away on his phone to his Mrs :D

I now take my money elsewhere (luckily a new shop has opened up much closer , and its 100% better ) :P

Indeed, grumpiness is endemic with most gun shops.

The Essex mafia have found a happy and helpful gunshop (Eastern Sporting) and now stick to it like glue.

Given that there will be a happy and pleasant alternative elsewhere, why give your money to people who are rude, miserable, surly and unhelpful. Plenty only do because there is no other competition in the area.

Seconded re Deep Blue, although my negative experience has been via telephone calls trying to get prices for items they claim to have in stock. They have a very shiny catalogue, but no stock, no customer service ability and nothing that York Guns/Sportsman doesn't offer with more grace and knowledge.

Edited by Baldrick

Oh I am much luckier. My local gun shop, I bought an air rifle form it 2 weeks ago, the young guy on the till recommended me a gun, let me try it and was very friednly recommending tips on shooting it and pellet variation. I am sad that you peopel have experienced such bad service. The guys at my local are really friendly, and I am a newbie shooter. :drool:

I had a similar experience trying to buy a rimfire. After a few unanswered enquiries about if it was available, they said how were they to answer if I didnt say whether I wanted the 22 or 17HMR.

The model I wanted was only manufactured in 22.

Perhaps thay are better at charging air rifles from dive bottles. That's their main business.

I had a similar experience with Deep Blue, I was after changing my brand of shotgun cartridges. I was given an A4 ring binder which contained very detailed descriptions (along with photographs) of a huge range of cartridges.

I was very impressed until the “assistant†and I had to begin the job of working out which they actually had in the shop. When I pointed out that they may want to think about removing the pages of the cartridges they didn’t in stock or at the very leased make a note of the shortage in the catalogue all I received for my trouble was a blank look.

When I did finally make a decision on the now limited selection I was told oh actually I don’t think we have any of those either!!! It was only when I started to raise my voice little that one of the other assistants point out that in fact they had a couple of thousand in the back at which point I gave up and went else where

There was talk of them being investigated by trading standards a while back..

Whilst in Bradford Stalkers (local gunshop) one day,the phone rang.Upon answering it,the assistant was asked for a price on x amount of cartridges,he recognised the voice and duly checked the tel no..it was Deep Blue.They had done it a few times recently to compare prices.I was then told that some of their customers had enquired about prices for 1,000 cartridges on the phone,only to get there and have a significantly higher 1 quoted once they were in the shop.This is what they were reported for..Allegedly :D

I must add that i,ve been there once,and although i got what i went for,i,ll never go again as they just didn,t have a clue..or much in stock. :drool:

The shop is really a dive shop hence the name, I went there when they first opened for a .17HMR, told them what I wanted (kit wise) and they never got back to me with a price, TBH I was just looking at there price as I would have gone to Weldon GR unless they were loads cheaper. They clearly just buy the stuff in as orders come in. They will have 10% of what they claim to have in there catalogue, if even that.

Recently I wanted an item they claimed they had in stock, I got a reply to say that it was dispatched the same day I ordered it (it was a sunday). It did not come until later on in the week. I have heard mixed reports about them with friends, mostly negative.

When I got my first shotgun I went into Bradford Stalker to ask about catridges, I was still learning about it really and didn't have much of a clue what I needed, and they were very helpful, didn't try to rip me off or anything. One of them even entertained my 3 year old son while I the other one was dealing with me. You can tell they are grandads!

Total sales value for half an hours work - a measly £12.50 from me! and they were happy to do it. Tell you what, that £12.50 gets them my £500 business when I get a 20g.

It's a nice little pad they have there.

Deep Blue can be cheap, but I'll now pay more for peace of mind from people who want to solve your problem and take an interest.

Edited by cubix

I have had similar dealings with this lot (Deep **** would be a better name) after looking at there web page I phoned them regards a zenith scope price £909, after being passed around I was told they were waiting for a delivery from the Sportsman (who are on my door step) when I queried how they are selling them cheaper than the sportsman (£1021) I was told they are not. slightly confussed saying that I was looking at there web page he replied that they are updating the site and suggested that I should shop at the Sportsman in future before putting the phone down :o . After a later phone call to the same sales persons and a (fake) order of £7,500+(about 20mins of him running round and getting him to double check everything I had requested I told him not to bother I would stick to the Sportsman, I thanked him for his time and him being a total **** then hung up :drool: .

Made me feel alot better :D

I have had similar dealings with this lot (Deep ****e would be a better name) after looking at there web page I phoned them regards a zenith scope price £909, after being passed around I was told they were waiting for a delivery from the Sportsman (who are on my door step) when I queried how they are selling them cheaper than the sportsman (£1021) I was told they are not. slightly confussed saying that I was looking at there web page he replied that they are updating the site and suggested that I should shop at the Sportsman in future before putting the phone down :P . After a later phone call to the same sales persons and a (fake) order of £7,500+(about 20mins of him running round and getting him to double check everything I had requested I told him not to bother I would stick to the Sportsman, I thanked him for his time and him being a total T**t then hung up :drool: .

Made me feel alot better :D

Hahaha, nice one chopper :o :lol:. Think my dad has bought stuff from their website and it all went smoothly. Just seems there are a few idiots in their shops.

Makes me realise how lucky I am in and around the Chichester area.

You have Chichester Armoury, superb collection of all types of arms, great knowledge and very welcoming. Mindful though that they aren't the cheapest.

For air rifles we have Protek, really know there stuff and fairly priced.

I live in Cornwall but travelled to AVAlON GUNS in STREET, to buy my semi - auto, after several phone calls they were able to source me a left handed semi auto in the walnut stock that i desired, it was obviously a bit of hassle for them but they got it for me, and when i went to pick up there service was second to none (brilliant). The guy spent a good amount of time with me showing me how best to strip the gun down for cleaning as i've never had a semi auto this was very helpful nothing seemed to much trouble offered cup of coffe shown round the shop nosing at other guns good chat with the guy, great gun shop, would definately recocomend them just a shame it's hour and half each way for me to drive getting there.

I am very sorry you have had these problems - they are a BASC trade member... I will ask my Trade marketing officer to pay them a visit to see what the problem is...

David

Dave,

well done for raising this extremely political issue. I'm sure all £68 paying BASC members will be glued to this thread. Please keep us informed as to what exactly the proposed 'trade marketing officer' uncovers or for that matter what 'shooter' positive bonus' their 'investigation' evoke's

Dave,

Please keep us informed as to what exactly the proposed 'trade marketing officer' uncovers or for that matter what 'shooter' positive bonus' their 'investigation' evoke's

That will be easy,

what exactly the proposed 'trade marketing officer' uncovers.

They make a nice cuppa.

what 'shooter' positive bonus.

We prefer cash.

Only joking mind :good: