How do I Move a Fox once I've trapped it?

camojohn

We have a problem with a fox digging holes in our bowling green. I have borrowed a fox trap which turns out to be bigger and heavier than I thought, and too much for me to handle with a fox inside. Has anyone any ideas on the best way to move the fox for release at another location? Also is it legal to let it go on someone else’s land?

I could just shoot it with my .22lr rimfire but the only trouble is I don’t have an open licence.

Why would you think it is ok to release on some one else's land to cause them problems?

trap it and kill it of do some thing to deter it, but don't release it some where after all its only digging holes release it and how do you know it won't go off and kill someones chickens!

It's illegal to transport and release a fox without the relevent license. Becoming a serious problem in the rural areas with more and more being dropped off from towns and cities not fair on the animal either all it knows is how to hunt down a kfc so when he's hungry heads straight for lights normaly a farmhouse thats when the trouble starts not as healthy as a rural fox either which causes it's own problems best see if anyone here could help you out

Start a post asking for help to shoot a fox in a trap. Assuming you can give permission to shoot on the land. If not, let it go if you have caught it already, or you will cause it unnecessary suffering and be liable for prosecution under the 2006 Act.

Then. as said above, get a professional in, although you have about as much chance of catching it again as flying. Dint think it through first ?

Modded or unmodded 410 your not breaking the law.

OR catch it then call the RSPCA and let them go and release it somewhere.........

Oh and get some welding gauntlets (2 pairs) and an old army type blanket. Once caught, put on gauntlets, throw blanket over trap get strong mate to help you move the trap to a suitable location and despatch.

Sorry for the rather abrupt reply but its one of my pet hates, just moving a problem on to someone else weather in be foxes, iffy cars or any thing else.

Some one i know has had real problems with some body releasing foxes on his land!

I know what you mean !

Up where I am, we get RSPCA releasing large numbers of urban foxes onto forestry commission land a mile or so away. As someone else has pointed out, all those foxes can do is hunt KFC wrappers, or bin contents, so it's a major problem for local farms.

To the OP, please think about your actions - making it someone else's problem isn't really a responsible thing to do.

I think you may have issues persuading a court that using a ball pein hammer is a humane way of dispatching a fox

Yet the cops used it as an alternative suggestion to defend giving out the first handgun for deer dispatch. Actually hammers and certainly spades have been used many times and both do a good job in the right hands.

We have a problem with a fox digging holes in our bowling green. I have borrowed a fox trap which turns out to be bigger and heavier than I thought, and too much for me to handle with a fox inside. Has anyone any ideas on the best way to move the fox for release at another location? Also is it legal to let it go on someone else’s land?

I could just shoot it with my .22lr rimfire but the only trouble is I don’t have an open licence.

sounds like a lot of trouble to go to, why not just call someone. Dumping foxes isn't exactly the best practice even it it can be done someplace / somehow lawfully. perhaps it might be better to call your FEO explain why you want a bowling green passed for you .22, show him the area you want to shoot from and into then feed it a few nights then shoot it without bothering with a trap at all

Except the bowling green :oops:

I wouldn't set the trap on the green, but partially under cover at the side. An exposed trap on the green wouldn't be a good idea - to much chance of it being wrecked by antis. Also the fox might try and dig between the mesh/bars and do even more damage to to the green surface.

I did like the image of making a huge hollow in the centre of the green though - could make it into a new sport called 'crater green bowling' :lol::P

I have the fox trap setup behind a hedge out of view. When I checked it this morning and it was empty. So it looks like I will be stuck with going there every morning until the jobs done.

As some of you have said, I have not thought it through. I met the guy who lent us the trap and he advised me not to have the fox in my van that because of the smell, and I should use a trailer to transport any foxes I catch to where I can legally shoot them.

I am sorry but I do this a lot

If you can't dispatch the fox on site in the trap then it is in the wrong location

as much as they are pest they deserve respect and transporting them anywhere is not giving it to them.

I use a .22lr with subs personally

small enough to get through bars, silent and extremely quick

less mess than a shotgun

never had a ricochet or issue

get some help

you do not want to be transporting a live fox and you certainly don't want to increase the chance of you:

a) getting bitten/scratched

b) getting your van full of fox ****

c) being seen transporting a live fox out of a bowling green

d) explaining the shotgun blast to nosey residents

get permission from the club secretary for use of moderated firearm/shotgun

put the trap out of sight and baited for several days locked open so it becomes part of the furniture.

check twice a day, night and morning if possible

It's illegal to transport and release a fox without the relevent license. Becoming a serious problem in the rural areas with more and more being dropped off from towns and cities not fair on the animal either all it knows is how to hunt down a kfc so when he's hungry heads straight for lights normaly a farmhouse thats when the trouble starts not as healthy as a rural fox either which causes it's own problems best see if anyone here could help you out

What licence would this be and where do you get one? :hmm: