On a few vid's I've watched he is shooting

34gram no:5's top grade carts with polished

shot. I guess his gun has enhanced full chokes.

That will give him the range to take them down.

That said he is one hell of a shooter which helps.

He also shoots at the underside of the birds.

How many of those birds were clean kills who knows.

Interesting to watch.

Very good to watch.

Good shots are a pleasure to watch. I once shot against Kevin Mayor at Lowther show many years ago. He seemed to move his gun so slow it was unbelievable, but hit everything he aimed at. I eventually learned it's not speed, it's economy of movement.

I was embarrassed to follow him to be honest. :)

Very good to watch.

Good shots are a pleasure to watch. I once shot against Kevin Mayor at Lowther show many years ago. He seemed to move his gun so slow it was unbelievable, but hit everything he aimed at. I eventually learned it's not speed, it's economy of movement.

I was embarrassed to follow him to be honest. :)

Very interesting. Never thought of it that way but can 100% see what you mean.

Very interesting. Never thought of it that way but can 100% see what you mean.

I'm no great shakes as a clay shot I'll admit; I only won a couple of small local club christmas shoots after taking up clays and then after taking up live quarry shooting very rarely shot clays again, but some of the things I learned stand both target and quarry shooters in good stead.

I feel that learning to be a good shot ( and I class anyone who hits more than they miss as a good shot) can be akin to learning to drive as there are multiple skills to learn and it is difficult at first to remember to put them all into practice at the same time, but through repetition of good solid technique they suddenly all come together, and then there's a short spell where the wheels come off (not literally) and then you settle into a routine where steady progress sees us through to the competent shots or drivers we become, though we can all still have off days.

Without doubt in my opinion, the most important of all techniques is a consistent and accurate mount and pertinent to my last post about economy of movement. A trap shooter starts with 'gun up', whereas the ESP shooter doesn't have this option, and a smooth, accurate and consistent mount is crucial. Only then can anyone 'fit' a gun to you.

Most novices cannot get that gun up fast enough after shouting 'pull', and simply throw the gun up to their shoulder in panic to get those muzzles somewhere near the bird and fire the shot before it disappears, but a good coach will slow you right down. If you rush the mount and get it wrong, chances are you'll miss anyhow, so you may as well slow down and get it right. Fluid speed is only economy of movement, brought about by repetition of sound technique.

The next most important factor, whether you're mounting a moving gun or not, is footwork.

These are only MY opinions, and what I have found works for me, others will have theirs.

I'm no great shakes as a clay shot I'll admit; I only won a couple of small local club christmas shoots after taking up clays and then after taking up live quarry shooting very rarely shot clays again, but some of the things I learned stand both target and quarry shooters in good stead.

I feel that learning to be a good shot ( and I class anyone who hits more than they miss as a good shot) can be akin to learning to drive as there are multiple skills to learn and it is difficult at first to remember to put them all into practice at the same time, but through repetition of good solid technique they suddenly all come together, and then there's a short spell where the wheels come off (not literally) and then you settle into a routine where steady progress sees us through to the competent shots or drivers we become, though we can all still have off days.

Without doubt in my opinion, the most important of all techniques is a consistent and accurate mount and pertinent to my last post about economy of movement. A trap shooter starts with 'gun up', whereas the ESP shooter doesn't have this option, and a smooth, accurate and consistent mount is crucial. Only then can anyone 'fit' a gun to you.

Most novices cannot get that gun up fast enough after shouting 'pull', and simply throw the gun up to their shoulder in panic to get those muzzles somewhere near the bird and fire the shot before it disappears, but a good coach will slow you right down. If you rush the mount and get it wrong, chances are you'll miss anyhow, so you may as well slow down and get it right. Fluid speed is only economy of movement, brought about by repetition of sound technique.

The next most important factor, whether you're mounting a moving gun or not, is footwork.

These are only MY opinions, and what I have found works for me, others will have theirs.

Very true.

I'm not very good at clays (don't often shoot them) and truth be told don't shoot that much with a shotgun (mainly rifle) but on the Norfolk flush, I was told by Blunderbust and others i was rushing and I hardly notice I am doing it until I slow down and watch others... but then on the flushes after the 50 bird sporting, I had a great time and hit a lot more than before and half the time the clay was in the air before I had even finished loading and I hit them much easier... interesting. I am really looking forward to my next clay day so I can put the new bits into practice.

Mostly on the money but ESP shots have and do in the main utilise the gun down or rather "not quite mounted" option. The reason is twofold: it firstly allows a much better view of the launch point and everything else and secondly promotes a far more natural swing/tempo once the target is acquired. In other words despite having the choice of pre-mounting, most will only use it in small doses where it's the better method.

Agree with every word. And just to add, that not just economy of movement, but its rhythm, "beat" as I've heard it called, is what distinguishes really great shots when you see them.

Next question is where it all leaves you when you're shooting pigeons sitting down?

He CAN shoot granted. Shame he's the most arrogant egotistical **** the world has ever seen.

I met him years ago on a Kent cartridges/George Digweed promotional day,

Now I know he was being paid to be there but came across as a really nice bloke, coached on various stands and gave a shooting demonstration at the end, then gave out the prizes and was there for a while after having a general natter with everyone.

As I said, I know he was being paid and that is the only time I have met him but I take as I find, and I found him ok

:shaun:

I met him years ago on a Kent cartridges/George Digweed promotional day,

Now I know he was being paid to be there but came across as a really nice bloke, coached on various stands and gave a shooting demonstration at the end, then gave out the prizes and was there for a while after having a general natter with everyone.

As I said, I know he was being paid and that is the only time I have met him but I take as I find, and I found him ok

Money talks. :good:

If you'd been on holiday to Tenby, he'd own two mansions in Elevenby. :lol:

ive heard some years ago he droped a couple of clays at the essex masters and just walked off

im still impressed very much with his style and ease of making it look so easy

I shot years ago at the game fair at Harewood,

Bloke was in the cage before me, shot really Badley, tore his card up and walked off....

???

He could have used the rest of the round as practise and put in another card,

Some strange folk around the shooting circuit

Agree with every word. And just to add, that not just economy of movement, but its rhythm, "beat" as I've heard it called, is what distinguishes really great shots when you see them.

Next question is where it all leaves you when you're shooting pigeons sitting down?

Ah, the secret is to wait until they stand up !!!