Happiness is a £30 Baikal

TonySmith

I have been pondering, if the lad could handle a larger bore gun this early in his shooting ‘career’. He loves his 410, but we are always having to track down 410 cartridges, his unlimited enthusiasm for shooting has become a logistical problem keeping up with cartridge supply. :good: If he is practising on clays, we do get through a few boxes…. :good:

I took a gamble on a SB 12g to fit the bill, a quick look on the squinternet and I found a SH SB Baikal 12g for £30 at a RFD in Kent, a confirmation phone call this morning had me putting in the postcode on the TomTom and we were off.

The satnav took me on a very scenic route once I left the motorway, it was most enjoyable, and Kent is very picturesque.

Deal done at the RFD, 30 quid’s worth of Baikal, well used, but had a thick recoil pad fitted, that will do, arrived home, gun in cabinet, squared it to visit my permission that evening, mill around rest of the afternoon waiting for schools out..

Sure enough, whirlwind entrance from school, ‘well,well’ well’ did you buy that gun Dad, time for a tune up…nah, no good son, but we are going shooting, give me a hand to get the guns outs, he is standing behind me at the ‘cupboard’ under the stairs, open the gun cabinet, takes out this Baikal, hold this mate…instant big beaming smile, ‘works the same as your 410 son’ ‘is the safety the same Dad’…good lad.. A few minutes of posing and practice mounting, back in the cabinet.

Gun out again when Mum arrives home, being the sensible women she is, asks about homework before shooting, never seen homework done at warp speed, then the next minute the lad looks like an advert for Jack Pike, the camouflage kid is ready.

Arrived at our permission around 5pm, a few test shots with 21g -7.5, then officially handed it over to the new owner, with the big beaming smile, he done a few ‘air shots’ then we are off for some target practice, shot it as well as his 410, the stock dimension is identical to his 410,I kept asking is he alright, worried about recoil, no complaints from the lad.

After what looked like a Practical Shotgun demo, we headed off to the rabbit runs, giving them a wide berth then doubling back, aren’t young eyes good :good: , he spotted a rabbit and went off stalking with me behind, quite comical, he looks like Elmer Thud when in stalking mode,very difficult not to laugh, but his technique paid off and he dropped a rabbit with his new gun, he was well chuffed, and so was I.

We then headed off to the far end of our permission to our natural hides, under the trees, to try and bag a few Crows returning, but they are getting very cute, he took a few shots at some I would not have bothered with my 32-5’s, but he is enjoying himself, come dusk we called it day and walked back, no complaints at all from the lad.

Was a cheap evening for me, only used 2 cartridges, and one was a demo to show the lad the difference between a 21g-7.5 and a 32-5 on a target, I was just keeping an eye on the lad, as he was excited as young lads get, and was a bit concerned he may get over excited and forget the safety and shooting protocols I have drummed into him, but he was very mature, and it was a pleasure for me to watch him shoot.

A few pics from this evening.

ATB

Tony

post-17870-1255040025.jpg

post-17870-1255040053.jpg

post-17870-1255040065.jpg

wonderfull write up, I so would have loved to see his face when first picked the gun up, he's alucky lad to have a dad like you :good:

In the pics he looks so happy :good:

Well done mate another fine young shot in the making, and thats down to you, a pat on the back for yourself

Alan

Edited by Alanl50