Whats the best subsonic .22 round

:whistling: The best subs are the ones that perform best in your gun, zimples!!!!! :lol:

That is sppot on advice, you need to try them all under the same conditions. I use Winchesters as I get the same sort of grouping as I do with Eleys and Winchesters are cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

Every rifle is different, find a brand you like and stick with it. Its good fun testing ammo though and you will learn a lot.

.22 rifle barrels vary internally quite a lot, some have tight bores and chambers and can be quite fussy. Others don't settle down until they have had several hundred rounds put through them. Avoid mixing copper coated and lead bullets without a good clean in between.

Edited by Vince Green

• 2 weeks later...

hard to say which is best, remi have the cleanest most well formed head for an HP i've ever seen and work brilliantly in my buckmark, had about 6% misfire though which is terrible. winnie subs seem fine in my cz and sako, but tried CCI's and couldn't get the round to chamber properly in any of my 22's, found out what the problem was too, there was a slight bulge and a crease near the rim, basically the cases were squashed, this was hp subs mind you, the velocitors and cblongs are fine, maybe a dodgy batch? never tried eleys, i did here they were a bit mucky.

You can never get an answer from anyone else on this, as it has to be your rifle it works in.

Many do rate the Eley Subs, others Winchester, Federal, AE, RWS, Lapau, CCI, (Why don't Hornady make .22lr) Magtech, Remington, etc, etc, etc.

Generally many rate Eley, and certainly back in my team target days I did as well.

My .22lr is a field gun these days and I get great results with Magtech .22lr 40g HP. Many hate these but I get excellent results, I was checking my zero last week at 60 yards and had 4 touching shots...Witnessed, I find it difficult when people say their targets look like shotgun patterns with these.

Just don't get it, anyway, they are plenty good enough for what I want!! :look:

Edited by Dekers

Hi all! I was just going to modify my last post but i thought this might get everybodys attention better..

went out last night with the buckmark for the first time, used remington hollow point subs, and what a load of poo! 4 misfires out of about 27 rounds fired, seemed to hit everything i aimed at with the first shot, the problem was they got back up! Now, either i've got an infestation of ZOMBIE rabbits, or them lovely clean well formed remington heads i was talking about are no good and are going straight thru causing minimal damage, never had this with winchester subs!!!

So, for the best 22lr round, well, it's not remington.

Either that or BEWARE! ZOMBIE RABBITS!!!!!

no doubt it will be either eley subs or winchester ..rws aint too bad either..... my varmint cz452 16" shoots eleysubs the best , then winchester and finally rws 3rd best.... everything else ive tried is useless after 80 yards and not worth me reccomending to you pal..... as yours is a savage though id reccomend getting 50 of everything you can and trying all out and then buying your maximum allowance of the best on test .. as you can get big differences between batches ....

:angry: The best subs are the ones that perform best in your gun, zimples!!!!! :good:

Another vote for the above.

My rifle performs best with Eleys and RWS. I use Eley by choice as they are easier for me to get (and I love the smell), though the RWS are just as good. Both are accurate in my rifle and hit hard.

ZB

Not had my CZ that long, but both Winchester and Eleys work well for me. I think that the Eleys group slightly better so I'll probably stick with them. Both smell nice ;)

The handy thing is that for me both Winchesters and Eleys seem to have the same zero,, which is great.

Steve

Edited by shoughton

You are getting good advice old son, there is no such thing as the best subsonic as they will perform differently in every rifle. Get as many types as you can get your mitts on, a box of each and see how they group, accuracy is the key - whatever works best in your rifle is the "best" - I have always rated CCI but the cheapo magnatec groups better than anything else in my austrian rifle, but as I say - every rifle is different.