Shots fired in Cumbria?

RC45

LINK....

Sorry, I read it wrong, he was a member of a gun club.

“He did do a bit of shooting and I think he belonged to a gun club. He used to like to shoot animals in the woods around his home and on land belonging to farmers in the area. I know he had some guns but I don’t know which ones
Edited by SSS

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts to the victims and their friends and family. A mentalist hell bent on killing Im afraid. There seems to be one every decade; Michael Ryan, Thomas Hamilton now this evil ******* Derek Burd. Regardless of whether he was a sgc or fac holder, the public will demand tougher restrictions and the new government hve promised to get tough on knife crimes so shooters will be affected. Im quite sickened by this and to be honest has put me off going out with the gun for now. I think all border line decisions made by the police will be refused with immediate effect; ie shooters who have suffered from depression etc and have had medical help. Quite horrendous.

Very sorry to hear this news,deepest sympathy goes out to all connected..I have to say,I can't understand how the police couldn't get a helicopter on to him pretty quick,and an armed response team.With the amount off witnesses to come forward he wasn't hiding to much,in the three hours he was roaming about the 999 emergency line must have been red hot....very sad..

Deepest sympathy to the families of the dead and best wishes for a speedy recovery for those injured. It appears that this tragedy started with some sort of disagreament with colleagues, against whom he seems to have born some malice. Could he also have born some malice against the shooting community as the murderer must have known full well that there would liklely be reprecussions for all SC and FAC holders?

Blackpowder

as the murderer must have known full well that there would liklely be reprecussions for all SC and FAC holders?

Everyone assumes this is the case but if he didn't have licenced guns there's a good chance he could

have got hold of unlicenced guns.

What's happened to gun crime since hand guns were banned?

Nial.

He turned the gun on himself in the village of 'Boot' I think. We were supposed to be camping in Boot with family/friends the weekend after next for the annual real ale festival, a real cracking event with live music, good food, etc. Stunningly pretty area will be rocked by this for a long, long time.

Edited by whiskymac

The guy has just recently become a grandfather :good: You would have thought he'd be made up! I just cannot understand how someone could get so low, and I have had hard times through the years. My father was going to buy a new 308, not sure he will now.

Phil

I cannot believe todays events, last night i stayed in a hotel in Hungerford and got talking to a local who was injured in the shootings there last time, and he said that it was a very bad day and hoped it never happened again! we all agreed to that comment and then today!! I just cannot believe it!!!

A very sad day for everybody.

PP

Guys,

firstly to all thoes that have been effected by this my deepest thoughts and condolences.This is a wicked wicked thing that has occoured.

I see many people here worrying about past incidents and the reactions to them, my stance is that this is surely a case for strong argument for all police to be armed.GB has proved twice now that banning a weapon will not discontinue it's use.Arm the police and at least you have a chance.

As a serving soldier I say to thoes that thought taking him on with a private weapon.............come and enjoy a tour in AFG and see how you feel about taking human life, even killing scum leaves scars.

They think they have just found his body,

he has shot himself.....

makes you wonder what goes on in peoples minds

shaun

Pellets......... what he should of done first,not shoot other people...####.

How incredibly sad....

my thoughts and condolences with all the friends and families this crime has touched...

i had thought of a quiet 'walk' out with the dog tonight...but having heard this on the news when i got home, well just put me off completely...

there really is no way to account for this happening, and to be honest tougher gun laws are a good thing in my book..i know i had to jump through hoops for my fac , and rightly so, it assures the safety as far as is reasonable of the public at large...and for most of the time that includes most of us.

As has been said already if someone in this frame of mind has the intent to do this, they will use whatever is at their disposal.

Daz

Its a shame that his problems which he obviously had weren't picked up, whether by his family and closest or on his own admission, there are very few sheer evil people in this world, I don't imagine the chap had any thought whatsoever of the consequences and was ill enough to do this and take his own life along with twelve loved sons, daughters, parents.

Thoughts to all injured and family of the murdered.

God bless.

Guest topshot_2k
Guys,

firstly to all thoes that have been effected by this my deepest thoughts and condolences.This is a wicked wicked thing that has occoured.

I see many people here worrying about past incidents and the reactions to them, my stance is that this is surely a case for strong argument for all police to be armed.GB has proved twice now that banning a weapon will not discontinue it's use.Arm the police and at least you have a chance.

As a serving soldier I say to thoes that thought taking him on with a private weapon.............come and enjoy a tour in AFG and see how you feel about taking human life, even killing scum leaves scars.

I wouldnt trust half of them to issue parking tickets let alone wield a firearm

Its a shame that his problems which he obviously had weren't picked up, whether by his family and closest or on his own admission, there are very few sheer evil people in this world, I don't imagine the chap had any thought whatsoever of the consequences and was ill enough to do this and take his own life along with twelve loved sons, daughters, parents.

Thoughts to all injured and family of the murdered.

God bless.

Apparently he was a well respected and liked guy, he flipped - no warning, it would be fairly difficult to pick up on someone who turns deadly overnight - its not as though he was 20 something and high on drugs!

After things like this there has to be a backlash. The politicians can't be seen to be doing nothing to try to prevent it happening again.

After all the reporting of the actual tragedy the press and media will go into an anti gun frenzy. for them its too strong a story to just let it go.

Sad news, and a bad day for shooters, especially with the anti-gun lobby, who will selfishly use this event for their own agenda.

With the 1689 Bill of Rights and the rights of firearms ownership being consistently eroded in the following 300 odd years, I can't see how, in a free society, gun control can be further tightened. Indeed the current laws in mainland UK are somewhat draconian.

The fact that there have only been 3 shooting sprees with large numbers in the last 23 years, shows (statistically) that murder using a legally held firearm, whilst an emotive event, is not a huge problem in the UK. Consider that in 2007 2946 people were killed in Road Traffic Accidents, in the politicians felt it apt to congratulate this figure as low, no calls to ban motor vehicles. Bearing in mind that the gun control film, loved by the Liberal media and gun control lobby, Bowling for Columbine, lists the UK firearms death statistic as 68, show that statistically again, firearms are not a problem.

Those fond of knee jerk reactions and banning should remember that:

In the wake of 7/7 Muslims weren't banned from public transport to save lives

Lorry drivers haven't been banned to protect prostitutes

Hammers and Knives weren't banned after Peter Sutcliffes killings

Harold Shipman didn't force the government to ban GP's to save the elderly

Whilst i'm maybe being pedantic, proof shows that firearms ownership is safer than car ownership, ownership of ladders and many other everyday items that kill more people each year.

Common sense is needed to prevail despite the media hype and conjecture.

My mate said he was trusted as a dive buddy,level headed and good humored. Absolutely nothing to make him suspect he was a psycho in the making. Apparently seen leaving his house this morning with a blank look on his face. Should have just strung himself up in his shed.

Apparently he was a well respected and liked guy, he flipped - no warning, it would be fairly difficult to pick up on someone who turns deadly overnight - its not as though he was 20 something and high on drugs!

Appreciated, but it doesn't just happen like that. Not to diverge though.

A number of people still critical in hospital looking at BBC 24, godspeed recovery.