shooting herons

crossy 666

In Great Britain the heron is protected at all times under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, with fines or prison sentences available for anyone killing or attempting to kill one (see A brief guide to birds and the law, linked from this page, for further details). The heron is also protected under the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985. Special licences occasionally granted for problem herons.

See http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/unwant edvisitors/heronsandponds/index.asp

Why would you want to anyway?

Vic.

In Great Britain the heron is protected at all times under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, with fines or prison sentences available for anyone killing or attempting to kill one (see A brief guide to birds and the law, linked from this page, for further details). The heron is also protected under the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985. Special licences occasionally granted for problem herons.

See http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/unwant edvisitors/heronsandponds/index.asp

Why would you want to anyway?

Vic.

Vic,

A potentially emotive area.

I suspect there are many reasons why people don't want the Heron but the one I go with has already been mentioned.

They have removed vast quantities of fish from my Mums pond, and despite wire, Passive alarms, netting, Old CD's blowing in the wind, and of course the mandatory Plastic Heron, NOTHING works. All of which looks naff too!

Short term relief only!

Shooting only kills one, but then another and another if required. I suspect numbers would soon come under "control" and this particular issue would diminish over time!

Aren't most of our reasons for permanently removing almost every form of wildlife selfish, very commonly financially selfish!

I found clay land drains work well though, drop them in the water and the fish hide in them. Our two unwelcome visitors got bored waiting for them to come back out and we haven't had a problem since.

If they're big koi you might need 6" ones rather than the 4" ones my shubbys hide in.

Edited by Colster

I found clay land drains work well though, drop them in the water and the fish hide in them. Our two unwelcome visitors got bored waiting for them to come back out and we haven't had a problem since.

If they're big koi you might need 6" ones rather than the 4" ones my shubbys hide in.

Good thinking,a bloke I know tried one of those big plastic Eagle owls which seemed quite effective but it's been sometinme since I've seen him so don't know what the long term effects are.

heron netting over the pond placed high enough it will work, you may get the odd bird which will land on the netting with outstreched wings and try to feed through the netting but with luck it'll break a wing flapping about getting caught up in the netting ( honest officer) :yes::good:

SSS

Dont you dare .

Harnser .

For any non-Norfolk speaking folks, I'll point out that in Norfolk dialect (sometimes called Broad Norfolk), a Harnser is a Heron. (ok so his avatar might have given it away.)

Hence his defensive stance,

"Co ter heck, I dussent shoot that Harnser or he'll square I up an' mob a rum'un"

Edited by Colster

• 6 years later...
On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2011 at 17:54, sitsinhedges said:

I've seen herons take young rabbits. I hate the things almost as much as magpies but wouldn't shoot one unless I was allowed to.

Why would you want to shoot Herons just because they take young rabbits ??

I would never think about shooting a Heron / Harnser or Old Frank even if we were allowed to , they are part of our landscape and long may they continue to be.

40 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

Have you ever thought about perhaps covering the pond with some kind of structure, plenty of people do it. If you're daft enough to spend 10k on fish, you can spend abit more and cover the pond.

I know this thread has come back from the dead, but this made me chuckle. 

There must be be a forum for pond fish I’m guessing. 

Edited by hod