I'm feel like a hypocrite and a failure!

Frenchieboy

It's confession time! I was so proud of myself not smoking from October 2009 till February 2011 and have been helping others with advice and encouraging them to quit but I don't feel that I can do this any longer. I picked up a cigarette just over a week ago and lit it up in the belief that I could "have just the one and that would be that", how right I was, that was that, and I started smoking again. Not much admittedly but enough to say that I was a smoker again. I am not going to try to make any excuses by saying that I was stressed out or under extreme pressure, because that is all they would be - excuses! No one forced me to pich the darned thing up and smoke it, no one twisted my arm, no one threatened me - there is no excuse, it was my fault entirely and I have to live with that, but I really do feel such a failure! I have let myself down, my family down, my friends down, those that helped me quitting down, and that is a really worrying thing!

Fortunately I was sensible enough to realise what a terrible mistake I had made and I went straight back to the quit smoking clinic. They were surprised to see me but they agreed to help me again - Thank heavens! I have now started back on a quit smoking program and this is my 3rd day without a smoke. I am determined to stick with it but let this be a warning to anyone that thinks that they can get away with just having the one!

I am now filled with embarrassment about my failure so much so that I am really angry with myself for my stupidity and it is worrying my why. I can see now how my advice about not beating yourself up if you failed the first time of trying or if you slipped a little was so inapropriate as I am now doing exactly that and I am really hacked off about it, sorry to all of you that I wrongly said that to.

I have posted this as a warning to all of the members out there that have worked so hard to quit - For all of you out there that worked so hard to quit, please do not make the mistake that I made and think that just the one will not hurt - it most certainly will!

dont be so hard on yourself fella ive quit twice, once for a year and again for two years but still started again...problem is at the end of the day i like my smokes plus i just started smoking a pipe just recently. Been smoking far too long now and the only thing that will stop me is ill health or not being able to afford it. Anyhow dont just give up on giving up stick with it and best of luck, hope all goes well :big_boss:

I quit 4 three yrs and started again ! This time I'm pretty shure I'm on the right track and it's been 6 yrs off the fags now. I read that as most surveys of stopping smoking only follow upfor three yrs they are inaccurate as about 50% of those who quit for three yra start again!! You'll get there I'm sure I still miss it though. My motto is stay away from the first ciggie and that way you can never be addicted again ! Good luck will

Yes don't be so hard on yourself, I have stopped for the best part of 6 months. I still smoke the odd cigar if the occasion warrants but it's only a minor set back. Just look at it and say oh well had a bad couple of weeks and back on the wagon. At the end of the day you have made an effort and your obviously serious about it otherwise you wouldn't feel so bad! :)

I did the same thing after 2 years off fags, I feel dissapointed in myself but admit to enjoying a ciggy, I dont drink and too old and slow to chase wild women , gotta have something to sit back and relax with , but its on the cards to stop in the near future when i feel ready . Not worth beating yourself up, you will only have a fag to cool down :blush:

You have an addiction and thats the way it works!

I wouldn't feel bad, just remember how long you went without a smoke, this is your new goal, and when you reach the same time without, you are a winner! Just be positive, you have done well, now start trying to beat your 'personal best' time :good::good:

Pick yourself up and have another go.

I have twice given up for 10 months and 1 year and started again. It's the same old story "oooh I'll just have one as a treat, I've got it all under control now...".

I now know I can't realistically ever have one again (no pipes, cigars, roll ups, nothing). Once you give yourself permission, the next time it's all the more easy, and so it goes on until you are smoking full time again.

Hey ho, just got to keep trying.

Just over 2 weeks for me on my latest attempt :lol:

Dont knock yourself to hard.

I gave up for 3 Years, then one Christmas I thought I could buy a pack of Cafe Creme cigars and enjoy them over the festive period with a drink as I had full control of My habit :oops:

Big mistake, I started smoking cigars for a few Months, then I thought sod it - cigars are too expensive I will buy some Golden Virginia, the rest is history (been smoking since for about 5 Years)

I have stayed away from the stopping smoking thread - because I keep wimping out of doing it, I have over a £100's worth of gum and patches in my bathroom cabinet.

I will try again - My mother in law has emphasima (spelling?) she is on a one way ticket due to smoking and seeing her heading towards havng to trail Oxygen cylinders behind Her is motivating me now.

I think to truely give up You have to accept that you can never touch smokes again, the feeling of failing is painfull but You need to try and try again :good:

Good luck Pete, get over it and press on Mate.

Edited by Devon Fox

The problem is that when most people quit they feel they are depriving themselves of something pleasurable rather than dumping something that is going to make them poor, social pariahs and ultimately lead to poor health and a slow lingering death.

Once it registers that ciggies are not your friend it will be much easier to see the back of them for good. I stopped five years ago after nearly 30yrs on the fags using Allen Carr's 'Easyway' book, after dozens of failed attempts and probably years of NRT etc.

Good Luck, being a non smoker is so good I thank my lucky stars every day :good:

Tut,tut,tut frenchieboy,i thought you were stronger than that.....................nah not really mate :D (only joking),you done better than a lot of people by packing up for so long,learn by your mistakes,next time the earge(sp) comes along you will be ready for it and you will know how to beat it,because if you give in you will probably feel a lot more sh*tty than you have this time.good luck mate :good::good:

Most of us who have stopped smoking,have started again,i stopped for 3 years just going cold turkey,then started again,the second time i used a hypnotist and now haven't had a fag for over 5 years.

You realise you made a mistake and you are trying to rectify that mistake,it takes big cahonas(spelling)to admit on a forum your mistakes.

This small slip will only make you stronger willed to stop,as you now realise the pain of having to tell everyone that you still smoke.

Good luck Frenchieboy you will get there.

I'm nearly at the year mark....but still have a nicotine inhalator everywhere I go! Everyone takes the **** about it but I'd rather that than smoke!

I change the cartridge about once a month so it's not the nicotine, I think it's just a pacifier!

Just keep trying and you'll crack it eventually!

Regards,

Gixer

I quit ciggies 5 years ago and havent had one since because to be honest i enjoyed smoking.I know that if i have just one theres a high chance it would make me start again.Ill health made me stop which is why i really dont want to start again as i was a heavy smoker.

I've always said 'once a smoker-always a smoker' and you need will power for the rest of your life.

Set yourself up on a fitness programme (or make one up yourself) - its hard at first (unless your already into fitness your probably out of shape). Once you start seeing your fitness improving (which doesnt take anywhere near as long as you would think) You'll become addicted to it and the fags will be a thing of the past (double bonus in my eyes). Thats how I gave up

Good luck with it mate - BTW obviously I dont know you, so if your an athelete, forget what I've just written and I appologise for teaching you to suck eggs....

Listen Frenchieboy,nicotine is drug addiction,and therefore incredibly hard to do using willpower.Why torture yourself? I've lost count of the times I stopped and started again over all the years I smoked(over 30 years)and then an ex'smoker recommended allen Carrs Easy Way to Stop Smoking.What a book!You readthe book while you continue to smoke(I use to sit on the back step with a brew and a smoke while I read a few pages each night)and then at the end of the book you stop smoking;no withdrawel pangs,no cravings or anxiety 'moments'.All you will experience is the sheer elation of being free!Why wont anyone listen?It is as simple as that.Stop torturing yourself and get the book.

I've been stopped for over 5 years now,and funnily enough have the occasional dream where I've started smoking again...the joy on waking and finding it was only a dream is wonderful!

I really cannot recommend this book highly enough.What have you got to lose?

frenchieboy dont beat your self up we all have little slips at some time or another just remember all the kind words and help you gave me in stopping i could never thank you enough .you now have a new target to go longer than me with out a fag :lol: .stick in there buddy you can stop and will stop if you want too and i am sure you will .there are alot worse things in life than having a slip up in smoking .i was told by one person smoking is a fight you have to fight all your life so like me start fighting again :good: :good: :good: :good: and remember you have let no one down buddy :good:

ps if you ever need a chat give me a call you have a pm :good: it works both ways buddy :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Thanks for the support guys (Edit - Guys, not GAYS, but some might question that :lol: ) and for not giving me too much stick over my stupidity! I am back on track and just starting my 4rd day (Again) without a ciggy - It would have been more but I failed to change my early morning routine and lit one up the other morning! :blush:

I have given myself a target to quit again for - I want a good set of scopes for my 243, a set of S&Bs, Swaros or Zieses, so I have a goal, and I intend to reach that goal! :good:

Edited by Frenchieboy