shootin rooks with a rimfire

just wanted to know your thoughts on this, i was reading a artile in a magazine about a chap shooting rooks with his 22 rimfire out of trees? im quite new to fac shooting but thought this would have been a no no ? just wanted to know what you think

just wanted to know your thoughts on this, i was reading a artile in a magazine about a chap shooting rooks with his 22 rimfire out of trees? im quite new to fac shooting but thought this would have been a no no ? just wanted to know what you think

Deffinitely a no no shooting any animal out of trees in my view, with a rimfire

In certain circumstances it can be done, some of the small woods on our land are at the bottom of a very steep valley. If i set up about half way up this slope (about 120yrds away), i can take out vermin in the trees as i can use the valley floor as my backstop. :good:

This farmer was shooting rooks out of trees.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7073695.stm

Well found Dazza! I think this says it all.

There may well be some situations where you can do it safely but unless you are certain that you have a safe backstop then the answer is quite definitely "NO"!

i must be missing something from the link above but it doesnt say anything on how he got shot. did the farmer pull up outside the playground or what?

No, the farmer was shooting a rifle irresposibly (without a backstop) and a stray bullet struck the youngster in the head.

A freak accident.....but with common sense very avoidable.

was that the article written by Richard Brigham, in Sporting Gun.

I read this as well and thought that it wasnt good. in one of the photos you have a pile of rooks and a 22 CZ laid upon them. i cant remember if he stated it was a rimmie or just a silenced .22 but the photo was definitely a CZ rimmie.

never good shooting into tree whether your above or below as below you have no back stop and above you dont know who is in the woods. bit like shooting a deer thats up against a hedge, you never know who is there.

Phil

I do it on occaision, but then i've got a fair bit of land to shoot on, also use CB longs for the job as they only have 30ftlbs at the muzzle and don't travel too far. The news article is a sad case and very unfortunate for the child and the farmer, it doesn't say how far away the boy was from where the farmer was shooting tho.

Contrary to the general opinion on here, rook shooting with 22lr is not uncommon.

There was also an occasion were a guy was killed by someone shooting into a tree, perhaps he to knew the bullet would return to earth on his ground but the shot you see skimmed off a branch went the wrong way and got this fella picnicing in another field in the eye at considerable range. Caps are the only way IMO just i cant get them to shoot staight so i use the FAC rapid 400 yds fall out range and lands with so little energy you would think the pellet had been thrown underarm at you :good:

Wasnt there such a tool as a rook rifle, now don't quote me on this but I'm sure I heard they shot a low velocity round and were designed for shooting branchers, though I may have dreamed it. :hmm:

far heavier bullet slower driven by black powder= reduction in range

HI Mate

I had a similar discussion on here a few weeks ago. This prompted to do what I have been thinking about for a while, Applying for an FAC air rifle variation. I would expect (really like) to hear back soon as the branchers will be out in the next couple of weeks :rolleyes:

ATB

HI Mate

I had a similar discussion on here a few weeks ago. This prompted to do what I have been thinking about for a while, Applying for an FAC air rifle variation. I would expect (really like) to hear back soon as the branchers will be out in the next couple of weeks :rolleyes:

ATB

Really, thats late, they have long gone down here

i do remember burce pots aying he used the irish sea as a back drop :blink: :blink: i once seen my boss shoot at a crow in a tree with a .243 this is the same man who pulls the trigger of a gun to se if its loaded :blink:

I hope that your boss is not on this forum, because all you seem to do is slag the guy. :D

I hope that your boss is not on this forum, because all you seem to do is slag the guy. :D

If I saw my boss doing the things mentioned he wouldn't be my boss for much longer I doubt. I'd have to say something and it wouldn't be polite!

I shoot birds out of trees with my rifles at one of my shoots. I can only see well enough to do it in winter when the leaves are down but I have a good safe angle into a bank. It's actually quite fun, but as someone above said it's not often you get the chance of a safe shot into a tree.

I remember being encouraged to shoot a Squirrel out of a tree with my .375H&H when I was in Canada. Different countries have different outlooks on it but we're so packed in on this little island that we just can't do it. Not like where we were. We'd driven for four hours and only seen a couple of cars! It's still taking a chance I suppose but it's so slim it's safe. Safer than any shot taken here I'd say.

If I remember rightly the farm was about half a mile from the playground when that kid was hit. The farmer didn't even realise it was him that took the shot for a while did he? A very sad case brought on by a lack of knowledge rather than intentional wreckless behaviour I should think.

Wasnt there such a tool as a rook rifle, now don't quote me on this but I'm sure I heard they shot a low velocity round and were designed for shooting branchers, though I may have dreamed it. :hmm:

Yes there were, a falling bullet is still like having somebody drop a bullet out of a skyscraper window though. Nothing like the velocity it had going up but enough to injure you if it lands on your head.