What seems to be the mark of the changing seasons?

henry d

Waking up this morning I heard a robin in the garden and looking out I saw it was misty and I could feel the cool air coming in through the open window. Basically that signals to me that we are coming to the close of summer and autumn is almost here, strange that the sun was roasty hot yesterday :/

Few weeks and the geese will be here though :D

What signals the turn of the seasons for you?

I've noticed that some trees are already beginning to loose their leaves and the darker nights are drawing in.

Farmers are rapidly cutting their crops and those huge bails of straw are beginning to appear ready for the winter.

Talk of Christmas on the radio and tv and shops reducing summer stock items to clear in preperation for the Christmas goods.

V

seems to be alot damper in the mornings (even after a night of no rain)

and walking the dog before bed the nights are drawing in sooner and definatly a bit more of a chill out there

time to come out of hibernation ready for the 'fowling!

I've been noticing a nip in the evening air down here too, as well as the leaves turning and everything is heaving with fruit.

Give me the game season over summer any day. Wont be long now until I can get stuck into the partridges, and then later the pheasants. Bring it on :good:

seems to be alot damper in the mornings (even after a night of no rain)

and walking the dog before bed the nights are drawing in sooner and definatly a bit more of a chill out there

time to come out of hibernation ready for the 'fowling!

Yes its that slightly damp autumn feeling in the mornings and evenings, and the spiders webs have started appearing on all bushes. Thats always a sign of autumn.

My runnerbeans have shut down and the French climbing beans already have a yellow leaf :hmm: funny old year :oops:

They think it is all over for this year ...Last year I was still picking new beans in October :o

exact same here, i picked all runners now and hoping for at least one more lot but not looking good. i was still getting some couple weeks before halloween last year. mine are in a polytunnel though

Pressing apples,

tying cod rigs,

sweeping the chimneys,

getting the longlines ready,

leaving the beers outside in the shed rather than in the fridge,

waxing the barbour,

stopping clipping the Patterdale,

Wondering how long it will be til you hear the first christmas song / see first advert

Sloes ripening ready for picking and those cool/slightly chilly evenings when the days are still warm and toasty are a sure sign that winter is just around the corner for me. Of course, it also means there's preserving a-plenty to be done for the months ahead as well as stringing onions & shallots and rabbit shooting comes in to it's own (especially when we start getting frosts).

Ack-ack, I'm intrigued to know where abouts you longline? I assume it's a fishing longline (I was told by a mate many years ago that they were outlawed, but that was probably a generalisation rather than informed fact). I haven't done it for years. Last time I caught 2 good sized eels, a small pouting and a poxy weaver fish. Crabs had the rest of the bait, the little blighters.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Sloes ripening ready for picking and those cool/slightly chilly evenings when the days are still warm and toasty are a sure sign that winter is just around the corner for me. Of course, it also means there's preserving a-plenty to be done for the months ahead as well as stringing onions & shallots and rabbit shooting comes in to it's own (especially when we start getting frosts).

Ack-ack, I'm intrigued to know where abouts you longline? I assume it's a fishing longline (I was told by a mate many years ago that they were outlawed, but that was probably a generalisation rather than informed fact). I haven't done it for years. Last time I caught 2 good sized eels, a small pouting and a poxy weaver fish. Crabs had the rest of the bait, the little blighters.

longlining is perfectly legal in this country and far less damaging than its commercial replacement gill nets,

as for knowing summers coming to an end, for me its when the swallows finally stop using the nest I watch daily IE when they stop having another clutch it means they are getting ready for the off.

KW

Geese arrived a fortnight or so ago. Definite sign.

Pressed the first of my apples this week. Only another 40 odd tons to do :blink:

Interesting what you say about runner beans. I was quite alarmed to see mine appeared to be shutting down too. Only noticed yesterday.

Picked just short of a ton last week so it kind of matters to me. Gave them a dose of fertiliser in the hope they get a second wind.

ps. just in case you didn't know, leaving beans on the plant to go tough will make them stop.

Its banned at certain times of the year, you have to check your local Bylaws. Where I am its no nets / long lines on the foreshore between 01 May and 30 September. It doesn't stop people putting them out when they shouldn't though. Folk buy the nets off ebay for buttons. stake them out, they get full of weed and they just abandon them as they cost so little. Bang out of order.

If you ever want to see how I do it PM me. I don't get much but the anticipation as they uncover is electric.

Edited by ack-ack