Beretta or Browning Over and Under

ShropshireCrowKiller

• 1 year later...

There is no one gun for all men/women! I started with a B125, went to a Berretta, back to Browning GTI and now have a Miroku MK38 Grade 5 Sporter 30”. It is a fine robust and attractive gun. For me the Miroku fits better than the Browning and I prefer the non ventilated centre rib. The gun is barrel heavy and while some may consider that a disadvantage it absorbs recoil and helps momentum during gun swing. In fact I purchased it for this reason. I would suggest this is a true clay gun and I use an old 26” Miroku Skeet gun for game. The more expensive Berretta is an excellent gun and much is said about the Berretta shallow action but this aesthetics. I prefer the deeper action of the Browning. My experience with Berretta was not good. I did not like its blueing, which you could scratch with a thumb nail and the extractors were razor sharp and overrode the cartridge head. Pick up a Browning and it feels so well engineered it could last a lifetime. I feel the Browning/Miroku is far better than its marketing.

Yeah fit every time, but

I know Beretta make fine guns, amongst the best in the world in fact, but I personally find the domed pivot points that the stick out the sides of the action 'crude'. I realise that's really daft but if I had to knock up a shotgun in the workshop I'd probably have to use a dome headed coach bolt for hinge pin - Beretta are not alone, many manufacturers of very expensive guns do it. I find my eyes are drawn to that point of the gun and I can't help it.

Browning and some other makers cast their pivots into the action walls and to my eyes that's more pleasing to look at - I'm probably about to get toasted now too....

Edited by Cosmicblue

While at the game fair I was told to steer clear of a Beretta light weight as they were too light and you would not be able to swing and follow correctly and recoil would be far greater

A lot to this I think, I have a 686S and it is a nice gun but tiring to shoot if high volumes are expected. I would rather a heavier gun and a little less punch. I put a bit of weight at the muzzle and it now swings nicer.

+1 for browning. I had a browning and beretta side by side when I was buying a gun, and the browning felt better, was smoother action, and looked better.

But you need to try both like I did. Which ever fits you best you should choose. They are both good guns. It's personal choice, we can't say x gun will be best for you.

+1 for browning. I had a browning and beretta side by side when I was buying a gun, and the browning felt better, was smoother action,

I did the same, I may have made the wrong decision..... The stub pins used in most Italian guns have a use but neither style is going to make you shoot better!

As many have said, buy what suits you best. I have 2 x Berettas - and I'm very happy with them both, but I have shot borrowed Brownings and Mirokus - and have shot as well with them as with a Beretta. I prefer the handling of the Beretta quite possibly because its what I'm used to.

Both are good reliable guns but if you look hard you will, find people who have had problems with both as well! Try and borrow as many as you can, shoot them and find what suits you best. Make sure you try different barrel lengths because this can make a difference - and make sure that the gun fits you well (ideally visit a dealer with a shooting ground and get advice from their instructor).

As to weight, it depends what you intend to do. You can shoot a heavy gun at clays where you fire a good few shots and the recoil won't (or shouldn't) be a problem whereas in a light gun, you may find you need to use light loads to still be happy after 100 shots. On the other hand, for a gun you will be walking with all day - and firing a very few shots - you will find a heavy gun feels like lead at the end of the day! The argument that light guns don't swing or follow well is just a matter of what you are used to. Many people shoot well with a light gun.

I've just bought my first gun, my instructor suggested i try lots of different guns before buying.

been able to try a seond hand gun out for 72Hrs is great.

Wise advise I tried Browning's and beretta's. TBH I tried almost everymake I could find. In the end I got a winchester select.

Why? because it fits me the best and thats what is important. proof is that I also shoot it the best out of all the guns i tried.