herring roll-mops

highseas

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can be fantastic but I don't like them too sweet. On Friday nights we used to have the fishmonger come around the pub selling roll mops, whelks and jellied eels - didn't do the eels myself.

I pickle our own eggs and they are much better than the chip shop ones, although any more than 1 and you get killer heart-burn.

I have tried them in the past and find them ok. Nothing special but edible non the less.

Tried my old mans home made pickled eggs and felt sick. That was near 30 years ago now and the other day tried a shop bought one. Still not impressed.

Also tried jellied eels but wasn't very keen on the jelly. The eel was ok though.

I normally like seafoods. Mussels prawns crab lobster and most fish including Hake. I also enjoy Shark Marlin Swordfish fresh tuna steak etc. Not too keen on whelks though.

When I used to live in Beadnell I would go down to the beach at low tide and catch a lot of shrimp and get some sea lettuce. Shell the shrimp and wrap them in sea lettuce and shallow.fry them mmmmmmm.

The Norwegians have a version called sild, a whole herring fillet. Don't know how they are cured but I think they are just very lightly pickled, as they have the texture of raw fish. Lovely, they just slip and slide down. Eaten with sour cream and raw onion they are a real full frontal assualt on the taste buds.

Edited by scolopax

Has anyone had Hákarl (Icelandic fermented shark)

I have only seen people eat it on TV, why would someone eat rotten fish :o

as for roll mops and seafood, love it, but prefer the less bony types fish

Also, At least I peel my prawns, unlike my Japanese sister in law who eats them whole, head, eyes the lot :no: