Semi Auto users- whats your cleaning routine ?

Salop Matt

As above what is your cleaning routine ? And do you oil or use boresolvant to clean ?

The reason i ask is because my farthers old Browning B80 has never missed a beat with 28grams and up , But my Mrs`s Franchi emi auto used to clog up with cack on the arm the piston slid up and down on, it just seemed to attract dirt and weld itself on and cause cyling problems ! :good:

1/ Buy a Benelli

2/ Clean other guns

:lol:

Seriously though, i just boresnake my barrel after each time to get the thick out of the berrel then every 3rd-4th time give it a proper clean. All in one solvent down the barrel then stuff kitchen roll in there tight and push it through - gets 95% of the stuff off the barrel, then patch it until its 100%

Mark

I clean mine when i get bored and cant think of anything else to do, applys to most of my guns, and never had any problems with jams or missfires or worn parts etc etc,

there are people who say you should clean a gun after every outing even if you dont fire it, but lifes to short to do that,

If its working fine then leave it alone, if it stops working then clean it :)

FS

Mrs normally has loads of packs of baby wipes around (babies and all that etc)

These seem to be great for cleaning guns, I discovered the other day.

Cleaning my Urika 2:

1: put baby wipes down bore to remove bulk of rubbish

2: Scrub with bronze brush or the like

3: put cleaning fluid down barrel and scrub a few times and soak for 30 mins ish

4: use baby wipes on gas piston and the gas piston's stem

5: patch out the barrel til dry and clean and oil it

The baby wipes are great for cleaning the gas piston and area, because once clean it drys out completely.

If oil or grease is left on the piston or surrounding area, it will likely fail to cycle properly.

As above what is your cleaning routine ? And do you oil or use boresolvant to clean ?

The reason i ask is because my farthers old Browning B80 has never missed a beat with 28grams and up , But my Mrs`s Franchi emi auto used to clog up with cack on the arm the piston slid up and down on, it just seemed to attract dirt and weld itself on and cause cyling problems ! :good:

Odds are .....Too much oil, just a very light oil damp rag is all you need in this area!

I've noted my cleaning process a few times on here so wont say it again, but it's pretty in-depth!

It's part of the enjoyment, I love cleaning them after a days shooting and seeing them go away clean. I'm proud of my guns!

I've just cleaned the O/U today including the trigger mech and waxed the stock and for end. :sly:

It only gets a wax every 6 months or so though.

I don't get it, its about 30mins to fully clean an auto including removing the trigger group etc. It takes me longer than that to get in possision on most marshes i shoot and i sure as heck don't want to spend the day single loading. Ok if the gun hasn't got wet or particulary muddy or even shot much i just spray the bore with the Browning oil and pull a boresnake through. But why skim short when its required? I dont baby or worry over any gun when its out though

After having several different auto's over the years the Benelli M2 is by far the easiest to clean, no gas piston & no ports on the barrel means no filthy burnt crud can get into the handguard area which means its just a case of pulling the barrel through & your done.

I only strip & clean the bold head & inside the receiver after about 600 to 700 rounds, never had a problem.

Would never buy a gas gun ever again.

N

Edited by neil smith

1, Fore end off.

2, Remove Barrel.

3, Bore cleaning liquid in barrel.

4, Bronze brush barrel.

5, Patch barrel til it shines.

6, Oil barrel,

7, Use crud-buster spray on piston and rod to remove carbon build up (A wire brush will help)

8, Clear gas ports in barrel through piston housing using small drill bit or similar.

9, Clean out internals as accessible through ejector port using suitable kitchen towel or similar.

10, Reassemble gun.

11, light wipe down external metal parts with gun oily cloth.