Best Method for Moving Your Equipment.

Most of my permissions are close to roads but I've just picked up a massive block of mixed crops which means it is realistically out of reasonable walking range. There are tracks across but because I drive a small work van and it's either very muddy or tall grass I don't want to get stuck. I'm just wondering what alternatives there are for moving around.

I don't really want to buy a 4WD because I only want to have to tax and MOT one vehicle and most of the time I wouldn't get the benefit.

I wondered whether a small trail bike with panniers that I could fit in the van would do, or even a wheel barrow :blink:

A quadbike would be too big to fit.

Any other ideas to carry all the equipment and any shot birds etc :hmm:

Most of my permissions are close to roads but I've just picked up a massive block of mixed crops which means it is realistically out of reasonable walking range. There are tracks across but because I drive a small work van and it's either very muddy or tall grass I don't want to get stuck. I'm just wondering what alternatives there are for moving around.

I don't really want to buy a 4WD because I only want to have to tax and MOT one vehicle and most of the time I wouldn't get the benefit.

I wondered whether a small trail bike with panniers that I could fit in the van would do, or even a wheel barrow :blink:

Carp trolly.....

TEH

Even with a 4x4 I often have to walk a fair way round blocks of fields with no headlands.

I have tried a fishing trolleys and a wheelbarrow, but they have all ended up being inconvenient most of the time.

My solution is to travel light, I don't take every piece of decoying equipment I own.

I try to plan what I expect to be doing and pack accordingly.

All shell decoys, nets in mesh sacks, seat, a fishing quiver holdall contains hide poles, rotary and floaters and gun in slip.

Carried on my back, over my shoulders or in my hands.

Pony? :lol: Shanks pony i use mostly keeps one fit. can walk up to 3qtrs of a mile depending where they are and it sweats the beer out.Water, flask ,battery and carts are the killer weights.Drove over the stubble in the car ever so carefully last season still managed to loosen the exaust.The killer legs on the return with a decent bag,even 20 birds is 20LB+. So its two trips .Load the gun dog up?

what my mate got is a 3 wheeler disabled scooter, [ battrie driven that old folk sit on to go to the shops], convert it by taking seat of move the stearing bars n contols to the rear of it, load your stuff on to it then you just walk behind it, he says it will stand upto 20 stone, and travel 12 miles per charge, job done, ohh he did change wheels to ride on mower wheels to stop it getting stuck in muddy /wet places :good: looks good bit of kit :good:

When I travel light the one piece of equipment I need is always one of the pieces I have left in the car. Natural hides at this time of year save carting netting, and if the shooting is over laid corn or in tram lines then only the rotary and maybe a floater are needed.

Roll on harvest so that we can all drive to the chosen spot.

chinook :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well in the end I went and bought a Jimny this morning :rolleyes:

Seems to work great and goes where I'd never dare in my van without even having to put it into 4WD :D

I have just seen this thread so a little late in reply.

I have a wheelbarrow, with the bucket part removed and replaced my a flat piece of wood with n upright piece at the front, you can pile or lay almost anything on to it and away you go.Also doubles as a seat.

Only downside, the wheel gets clogged up when really muddy.

I do not use it any more, so if anyone wants it it is theirs for free. Collect from Hitchin, can throw in a bit of pigeon shooting for the collector, on the day.

Edited by bakerboy

I have just seen this thread so a little late in reply.

I have a wheelbarrow, with the bucket part removed and replaced my a flat piece of wood with n upright piece at the front, you can pile or lay almost anything on to it and away you go.Also doubles as a seat.

Only downside, the wheel gets clogged up when really muddy.

I do not use it any more, so if anyone wants it it is theirs for free. Collect from Hitchin, can throw in a bit of pigeon shooting for the collector, on the day.

I've been using a barrow lately but I'm hoping the Jimny will get me within a short walking distance of the spot I want to get to with it :good: