Which Umbrella for the hide?

Cosd

Reading another thread it reminded me about getting an umbrella for the hide, something to protect me from both rain and wind.

I'm guessing it's going to be a fishing umbrella, and my requirements would be so that I can set it up as a backstop, be able to sit underneath it with the centre pole not getting in my way and also be able to anchor it down. The idea then would be to put my hide poles and nets in front.

So what do you guys use, and what do you recommend?

Cos

any cheap brolly well do got mine from boyeds i don't bother with center pole just in way i hold mine up with the back 2 hide pole poles clipped to the ribs on the brolly that holds it up fine then front 2 hide poles as normal then cover in normal vegetation

think the brolly was 13 quid last time only last about 6months from ramming them into brambles all time lol

Or you could sit behind Matt and me . We double as a hide and a very good wind break. That is of course providing we do not break wind :no:

On a more helpful note I use a ground sheet to act as a wind break, and a *********** style hat to keep the rain off. It also helps having Dennis Healy eyebrows to keep the rain out of my eyes.

What you need is a brolly that you can remove the centre pole from, then you add what are called storm caps to the side ribs of the brolly then attach 2 banksticks which anchor it down but allow you to have it high enough to shoot. they are called nu-broli I think.

I use one, its a fishing umbrella, I just throw an old net over it and build my hide around the front as you would do normally.

Keeps all my bags etc dry, I just move back under it when it pours down. When I shoot, I step forward, stand up and shoot as normal.

It's not restricting at all.

Edited by chrispti

I use one, its a fishing umbrella, I just throw an old net over it and build my hide around the front as you would do normally.

Keeps all my bags etc dry, I just move back under it when it pours down. When I shoot, I step forward, stand up and shoot as normal.

+1 :good: :good:

been using a brolly for years. it makes you learn to decoy your birds to the pattern and not just fly by for a look.

watch out for the pole as most as shiny silver so you need to cover it up.

try not to use a heavy fabric or you end up with a very dark area that the birds dont seam to like. a lighter fabric will allow the light in better.

i sit to shoot so its easier for me to sit under the brolly. 181 from under the brolly last Saturday.

been using a brolly for years. it makes you learn to decoy your birds to the pattern and not just fly by for a look.

watch out for the pole as most as shiny silver so you need to cover it up.

try not to use a heavy fabric or you end up with a very dark area that the birds dont seam to like. a lighter fabric will allow the light in better.

i sit to shoot so its easier for me to sit under the brolly. 181 from under the brolly last Saturday.

Show off

I use a propped up brolly for a hide where there is no cover and I always drape a camo net over my brolly, I think it takes some of the shine off the material (especially when wet).

This includes using a desert camo net in the middle of rape or corn stubbles.

I take out the centre pole and use storm clips and banksticks to brace the brolly.

we just take a army basha with us ,light weight and folds up small in rucksack ,then tie it to the back off hide and let drape down the back inside of the hide and if it starts to rain we pull it over us ;-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=army+basha&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=11146523700&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9510341711771503797&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_660jhe77n9_e

+1 hear i have a 60" brolly 2 of us under it the other day not any problems at all