fantastic day

Topgunners

Hi All

Yesterday Alan and myself decided to go back to the field of untouched Linseed that we had spotted being hit by hundreds of birds a couple of days ago and where we shot 30+ in a short , late afternoon session.

IMG_0350_zpsf54f09a7.jpg

We arrived just after first light to be confronted with , yet again, FOG: and now that **&^%^%$%& horrible drizzly rain. We got out the flask and sat watching the fields for a while. There were pigeons dropping in all over the place and so decided to setup right in the middle of them all with a brolly behind us for backdrop.

Out went the jeep load. 18 plastic deeks, 10 dead birds on cradles, 3 spreaders, 2 floaters, flapper and magnet. We decided (due to Alan having a day off work) that we were going to give it our all, no matter what.

We started off like a shooter's dream. Dropped 34 birds with only 3 missed shots. 5 double deckers and a triple. It was shooting at our best until I missed the first bird (with a loud groan. lol) and the expected p*** take.

The drizzle never stopped all day and neither did the pigeons. We had some birds decoying like a summers harvesting day and others were almost on the moon. We had some fantastic shots , especially Alan's 23 out of his last box of 25 cartridges. Well done pal. :good: In total we had 27 double decker's and 3 triples. Plus a few misses I must add.

We shot 172 on the clicker and picked up 153 and 2 blackies.

2012-10-23103830_zps8ca6e8fb.jpg

2012-10-23103047_zpsfea8a2a9.jpg

just for Cranfield as you requested :innocent: (click on you tube button for full screen)

http://www.youtube.c...bed/wcifkAZX3ik

I must say that when my mate is on form (as usual) he is a joy to watch. But I almost matched him yesterday and we had some brilliant shots , unfortunately couldn't video them all. Too busy shooting.

2012-10-23162520_zps38314bc4.jpg

2012-10-23162421_zps6dc2ccea.jpg

IMG_0353_zps3b354d21.jpg

The brolly has seen better days I know, but it does the job.

Evening

After picking up the birds it was a quick dash home to restock the food and flasks and then out for an early evening stint for some rabbits. we only managed 5 and then a long drive to the farmer who wanted all the game we had shot.

We arrived about 10 o'clock and then after an hour of unloading and stacking the birds, paunching the rabbits we decided to have a quick hour or so on the foxes. We drove up the farm and turned into the first field and along the ridge. Parkrd up and first flash with the lamp and a set of eyes about 200 yards away alongside the hedge row. I quickly whipped out the fox calls and after 10 seconds of squeaking he ran straight along the fence on my immediate left towards me. Off went the lamp and a quick move of the jeep to get the angle, on went the lamp again and he was just running past me at 80 yards. then he stopped and sat down , looking at me.

I whispered "hello" to him under my breath and then let the .243 say the goodbye. Well, 2 minutes and first fox down. Happy days!!!!. We then drove, slid and skidded around the hills in the persistent drizzle and never saw another set of eyes. We could only keep to the hard tracks of the hills (and they were slippy I can tell you). We then decided time to go as it was 1.30am and we finally got home about 2.15am.

2012-10-24005459_zps1021811e.jpg

Tired, buzzing and a little bit wet. But what a fantastic day and night we had, and a nice £50 in the pocket to help replenish ammunition and diesel.

Total

172 x pigeons

5 x Rabbits

1 x fox

Dave K

Edited by Topgunners

name='Herr Plinker' timestamp='1351190283' post='1942337']

Great shooting guys., love the video, hope I get a day like that soon! Btw - were you using a head camera for the video?

Vince.

[/b]

Thanks for all the comments. I was using a 35mm camera and an i-pad, passing them to each other when we could.

You will get your red letter day, one day. Just keep at it.

Dave K

Thanks to everyone for all your comments. We try our best in all avenues of pest control and the video will be one of many more, I am sure.

Dave K

Edited by Topgunners