Workin in a antis house

Grundog

I've been working for a guy for a couple of days fitting a kitchen , the guy has been as friendly as possibly could be very chatty and as many cups of tea as one can handle . But today he noticed my dog lead and whistle in my van then asked me what dog I had and what I needed the whistle for to which I replyed that I work a lab and go shooting to which he replyed I don't agree with that , each to their own I then replyed to which he left the room . An hour or so later he reterned and made the comment but what if you wound whatever it is you shooting and it doesn't die so I said its not oftern I miss , anyway now the bloke won't even make eye contact , chat or make me a brew ****in do gooder

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why didn't you just tell him the truth? we all wound ocasionally thats why we have gundogs, they find and retrieve the wounded very much faster than we can so they might be dispatched. we eat what we shoot at home and i preffer to eat wild food thats lead a good life rather than factory reared rubbish thats lead a poor and short life, In the wild nothing gets the easiest end and a believe if i was a wild game animal it is the end i might choose. I hope you see the difference, i once saw an anti and active protester turned round by a gamekeeper at an old BASC roadshow. When the said anti was well convinced he no longer had an argument he said "what about foxhunting?" the keeper said " i don't know i have never been, but the hunt are over there why dont you speak to them, like you have myself". It made a big impression on me over 30yrs ago as a teenager and i have always believed in open non agressive / deffensive discusion on such matters.

Take it as an opportunity to educate and promote our sport to him. Use the positive aspects such as ultimate free range food etc. As for wounding explain that's why out of respect for the quarry you make sure you have a well trained dog to follow up and ensure it is not left to suffer.

When people ask me about why I shoot, I focus on the privilege of seeing a barn owl fly feet above my head whilst sitting out lamping. I explain that on a days shooting it is the good company and being out in the country whilst also talking about the benefits to all wildlife from land managed for shooting.

I generally ask why people object to shooting and identify their objections before looking for ways to overcome them. If they are the sort that would agree to buying free range eggs and chickens, use the approach of agreeing with the ethos, before going on to highlight that wild game is the ultimate free range food.

For once I'm in agreement with Kent. You have an opportunity to educate someone and maybe completely turn their opinion around. You said he asked about the dog, so explaining why the dog is so important on the odd occasion you do miss .

Most people are quite open to chat about it but IME maybe don't get in to all the gory details.

i get it all the time at work and at home. i tend just to keep myself to myself now. i find it funny how some people understand and some are so narrow minded that they totally refuse to understand. i always talk to birdwatchers when i walk off the marsh after flight and they are always freindly and helpful. but the lady walking her pet dog who dosnt have it under control thinks she is the one who is in the good and that she has all the right when she is shouting and disturbing wildlife and livestock.

the neighbour next door but one hates the thought of anything being shot and says in this day and age, shooting it should be banned. however, they fail to notice that their 2 cats have caught and killed all manner garden birds from the bird table that they put food onto. they fail to realise that the uneaten food attracts foxes which **** on their lawn and they think that its dog walkers letting their dogs onto their garden to go to toilet. these type of people are what we are against unfortunatly.

i bet my narrow minded neighbours buy cheap meat from tescos or asda. if only they knew the process it went through to get to the shelves. but no they dont want to think of it, incase it might put them off their sunday roast!

Have a look in his fridge, if there's any meat give him a good lecture about the evils of factory farming.

You beat me to it sir.

If he doesn't eat meat or reads the Guardian then he's not worth a second of your precious time.

obviously opinion is divided but look at were the "keep it secret and or lie" approach has got country sports in the UK. I mean heck we have got more PR from Hugh Fernley whittington and Jamie Oliver than our own ranks. The guy asked a question and the opertunity was missed.

A freinds wife had been a vegie and commited bunny hugger for many years but was slowly weaning herself onto various meats after medical dietry advice but with many constaints and if you like no-go areas. What did she choose to have for her meal when visiting? we were having free range pork, no she wouldnt eat that. Jokingly i asked my mate on the phone if some venison was ok? he asked her, yes that was fine she said as i know it has had a good life and i wouldn't have shot it without consideration to the need and it would have died very quickly without stress. Get this she even had it rare after i suggested that how we eat it at its best but offered to cook it so there was no colour or blood- i know hunters who cant face anything that aint been turned to fibreboard. I have to admit it made me very proud of her in general and her faith in my ability to do the job well

Christ, don't even bother with it, it's not worth it, if it's going poorly just back track and say you do mostly clay pigeon shooting, it's not worth your weekly wage to argue the toss.

Why should he lie about what he does? It's not going to affect whether he'll get paid as the guy will be contracted to pay him.

J.

Thanks for the replies guys ill see what he has to say in the morning now you've all given me a bit of opinion to put to him I'm one of them people that put on the spot can't think of what to say but as for bein paid its not down to him if I get paid I work for a company that pays me direct but I bet he spat in my brew ha ha

It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant, opinionated and ill informed some of these people are. However, over the years this type of person has seemed to have increased dramatically. What really sees me incensed is how they almost try and almost thrust their opinion on you.

I have always believed that education is the key but tbh to be able to learn effectively one has to have a "willingness to learn" and unfortunately these people don't see any reason. Instead they approach the subject of shooting, in all its forms with "tunnel vision" :unsure:

I sympathise with you but what i would say is don't back down. Stand proud in the knowledge that you as a shooter are much better informed than this biggot you seem to be working for. Keep a cool head though and remember that this guy has to pay you for your labours.

Perhaps when he has paid you, you can then "thrust" your opinion and the truth on him rather than the him enforcing his uneducated opinion on you and every other shooter he may meet :good:.

ATB,

Pat

Is he vegetarian?

I'd suspect not. I can't believe how many people eat meat, but then cry about it when the reality of their food getting killed is brought home.

If he's not a veggie, he should STFU about hunting.

If he is a veggie, he should realise people are free to make their own choices.

If the issue comes up again, then politely put across the pro shooting side of the argument. But do it politely. Include things such as ethical meat production, how shooting is done to a high welfare standard, and if he is a meat eater, explain how much better shooting is than factory farming (and free range farming, as the animals still go the abbatoir where rules and regulations are sometimes broken).

if it was me and it wont get you in to trouble with your company i would do a **** poor job so his new kitchen would be a **** kitchen like no sealant behind the splash back or work top edge so in about 3 month the mdf will swell with water and just crumble to nothing just to say put that in you do goodin pipe in smoke that one you hippy

If these people eat meat or wear leather,I point out that the animals that produce it

don`t have any sporting chance of escape or for that matter a chance to live in the wild

as our quarry do.

That usually shut`s the nonsense up !

IF they`re vegan`s they have a fair point,to which they`re entitled to !

(They almost never are!)

Edited by matone

Is he a vegan? They are they only people who can think that way and not be a hypocrit! I tell people like that, that I personally find factory farming disgusting and would rather eat a wild animal any day of the week than some chicken thats bred to grow to full size in under 2 months, is fed rubbish and is tasteless.

It's just ignorance

Edited by Nikk